Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

LOL - I must have misread that! Didn't think it was €499! :)

Nate

You didn't, it's dollars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

LFC Murphy wrote: »
    Engrossed with this thread the past few weeks.

I'm interested in a 5 - 5.5 inch screen. Prefer the latter, similar to the Note 2 or 3

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Ill be selling my 5 inch Lenovo A830 next week if you would be interested? Only thing is you would have to flash google apps yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

Barr wrote: »
    What about this. It has the snapdragon chip which has quality GPS. Specs good overall though the camera could better.

http://www.merimobiles.com/k-touch-s2-snapdragon-msm8225q-quad-core-1-2ghz-with-android-4-1-5-3-inch-ips-960-540-dual-sim-smartphone_p/meri7904.htm

Hi, I have a DHD and this looks very similar. Kinda hoping for something different.

Any thoughts on this

http://www.focalprice.com/MH0508W/Star_S7189_50_Android_421_Quad_Core_MTK6589_12GHz_3G_Smartphone.html

Budget of around €150 to €200 max. GPS would be nice to retain, although not a real deal breaker

Thanks

Hi, I have a DHD and this looks very similar. Kinda hoping for something different.

Any thoughts on this

http://www.focalprice.com/MH0508W/Star_S7189_50_Android_421_Quad_Core_MTK6589_12GHz_3G_Smartphone.html

Budget of around €150 to €200 max. GPS would be nice to retain, although not a real deal breaker

Thanks

Whats a DHD?

Whats a DHD?

Sorry, I've a HTC Desire HD and it's been showing it's age, especially with newer apps or updated apps. Getting very laggy, and reboots often. When new the 4.3 screen was huge, but now looking at the 5+ inch varieties

Thanks

• Advertisement

Sorry, I've a HTC Desire HD and it's been showing it's age, especially with newer apps or updated apps. Getting very laggy, and reboots often. When new the 4.3 screen was huge, but now looking at the 5+ inch varieties

Thanks

Couple of posts above ye ill do ye a deal ;)

Couple of posts above ye ill do ye a deal ;)

Hi Looked at the Lenovo A830, however the whole flash thing is beyond me thanks..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

OK so having had my W200 for 48 hours I have to say I'm very, very pleased with performance of the device in practically all respects. Device is quick and responsive, battery life is respectable, screen in crisp and sharp albeit maybe a little faded compared to Samsung's AMOLEDs (I know some people find them overly saturated) that I've gotten used. Been looking around at ROMs but honestly I feel no real compunction to change what I got from Meri, the phone is rooted with zero bloatware. All I did was change to Nova launcher out of habit.

For $189 you can't really go wrong. Already had 2 people at work ask where I got the phone from and if I'd be willing to order in ones for them. :D

Just bought one of these on Ebay from a seller in Cardiff. Got it for €183 + express shipping. Came to just over €200.

I was more than likely going to be hit by customs and duty charges by DHL, so there actually isn't a lot in it?

Really only needed it for a few months, but I'll see how I go. Should have it Tuesday/Wednesday. I'll report back. :)

Hi Looked at the Lenovo A830, however the whole flash thing is beyond me thanks..

Its a good phone id def advise ye to buy one from merimobiles anyway.

Just bought one of these on Ebay from a seller in Cardiff. Got it for €183 + express shipping. Came to just over €200.

I was more than likely going to be hit by customs and duty charges by DHL, so there actually isn't a lot in it?

Really only needed it for a few months, but I'll see how I go. Should have it Tuesday/Wednesday. I'll report back. :)

Was looking at the exact same. Premium of only about €10 to have it just posted from the UK and no customs delays.

Please do report back. :)

• Advertisement

pajor wrote: »
    Was looking at the exact same. Premium of only about €10 to have it just posted from the UK and no customs delays.

Please do report back. :)

Will do. If you're buying through Paypal with a credit card - choose the Visa exchange rate rather than the Paypal one. Was almost €10 more with Paypal's awful rate. Probably common knowledge, but I normally have enough built up in my Paypal account so I don't have to use a card so it was new to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,240 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Have bought off that seller in Cardiff (presume its the same), very quick to arrive, no problems at all

Will do. If you're buying through Paypal with a credit card - choose the Visa exchange rate rather than the Paypal one. Was almost €10 more with Paypal's awful rate. Probably common knowledge, but I normally have enough built up in my Paypal account so I don't have to use a card so it was new to me.

Huh, is it cheaper to pay through card rather than funds in Paypal a/c? Have only ever really paid with card, so haven't come across that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,924 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

854x480 resolution on a 5.3" screen is too low (and probably the main reason it is so cheap).

Huh, is it cheaper to pay through card rather than funds in Paypal a/c? Have only ever really paid with card, so haven't come across that.

No, the cheapest way to pay is with paypal funds - there is generally no charge. However, if you pay by credit card in a different currency Paypal gives you the option of using their own exchange rate or Visa's exchange rate. The Paypal exchange rate is terrible.

No, the cheapest way to pay is with paypal funds - there is generally no charge. However, if you pay by credit card in a different currency Paypal gives you the option of using their own exchange rate or Visa's exchange rate. The Paypal exchange rate is terrible.

I've never noticed that. :confused: Must keep an eye out for that next time.

Might be a new thing, I hadn't seen it before either. Haven't used a card on Paypal for at least a year though.

Might be a new thing, I hadn't seen it before either. Haven't used a card on Paypal for at least a year though.

Just fiddling around with Paypal on eBay and found it. You learn something new everyday.

I can see myself getting a phone from Meri mobile or eBay soon, so should save a few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭baldshin

Hey folks, I'm a bit of a newb when it comes to android, as a long time iOS user. Just wondering if someone could recommend a decent phone for my gf, costing max €150? Will be used mostly for spotify, bit of netflix and a few gaming apps(nothing too intensive). Preferably not a huge screen but not tiny, maybe 4-4.5 inch.
    Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

What about this beauty, although it might work out a bit over budget if it gets caught by customs.

http://www.merimobiles.com/xiaomi-hongmi-red-rice-wcdma_p/meri9833.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

eamonnq wrote: »
    Barr wrote: »
    What about this beauty, although it might work out a bit over budget if it gets caught by customs.

http://www.merimobiles.com/xiaomi-hongmi-red-rice-wcdma_p/meri9833.htm

Down 10 dollars in price since I posted it!! :D

Ill be selling my 5 inch Lenovo A830 next week if you would be interested? Only thing is you would have to flash google apps yourself.

Might keep an eye out on adverts for that.

Might keep an eye out on adverts for that.

New phones arriving today,customs has to be payed and my card was declined due to 1 euro balance :pac: I can pay in cash though so its ok, if all goes well it will be for sale later.

New phones arriving today,customs has to be payed and my card was declined due to 1 euro balance :pac: I can pay in cash though so its ok, if all goes well it will be for sale later.

How much did it come to so?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

Got my Jiayu G4 (MTK6589T processor). First android phone and I definitely prefer android to the windows phone I had for a year and bricked (it's actually configurable).

I was looking into custom ROMS but I'm pretty happy with the stock firmware

After 24hrs of fairly heavy use the battery was around 50% and it scored 16214 on the AnTuTu.

Haven't tested the camera yet as I'm awaiting an SD card.

GPS ain't the best. I tried the fix with mobileuncle but it's still not wonderful. Might look into improving the antenna somehow

Build quality is nice and solid, I'm very impressed overall!

How much did it come to so?

174 including the customs so im happy with that, Ill try sell my Lenovo for 160(130 Boardsies) so all in all no too much spent, but im broke so need to sell fast.

174 including the customs so im happy with that, Ill try sell my Lenovo for 160(130 Boardsies) so all in all no too much spent, but im broke so need to sell fast.

Let us know how the GPS is on it. My cursor is circling the checkout button. :D

Edwardius wrote: »
    Got my Jiayu G4 (MTK6589T processor). First

GPS ain't the best. I tried the fix with mobileuncle but it's still not wonderful. Might look into improving the antenna somehow

I thought the MTK6589T chips did not have a problem with GPS ?? THL W200 was fine (and have another one on the way).

Panthro wrote: »
    Oh yes, someone asked me a while back what the GPS was like on the Jiayu G4. I said it wasn't great.
    Realised last night the reason behind that..
    Location access and Data Connection both off :o:o (I only ever use the Wifi for the internet)
    Sorry to whoever that was that asked!
    I played around with it a bit last night, it's pretty quick.
    I thought the MTK6589T chips did not have a problem with GPS ?? THL W200 was fine (and have another one on the way).

Reading back. Sounds good so.

• Advertisement

Im being teased at the minute by DHL, it hasnt been delivered yet and they cant contact the driver! Lil **** :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement