Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Thargor wrote: »
    Still not clear about what the actual problem is with Tallaghtmicks phone, Ive never seen a phone with internal memory, an internal SD memory, and an SD slot...

the Huawei G300 has a so-called "internal SD card" - ie the 4GB internal flash is partitioned so half of it appears as an SD card and the other half as system memory. The catch is, if you have a real SD card inserted you can't use that 2GB (unless you flash a custom ROM). I don't know if this is common on other phones...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Loving this phone regardless :)

mine has finally arrived - took 44 days & had to pay customs. Next time, DHL.

(also the box was completely bashed)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

Loving this phone regardless :)

Encouraging. :)
    loyatemu wrote: »

Which one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

pajor wrote: »
    Encouraging. :)

Which one?

Its so fast, lovely screen and once I put my SD card in and changed settings to SD only all downloads went onto it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭harpstilidie

Been looking over this thread and it seems like the Jiayu G4 is the best one to get? Where is the best place to buy it?

Looking for a dual sim phone and I'm considering a Wiko Stairway, Wiko Cink 5 or the Jiayu G4. Which one would be the best?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭seanin4711

dhl defo customs as they are clearing agents for revenue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

But at least you don't have to wait 44 days!

seanin4711 wrote: »
    dhl defo customs as they are clearing agents for revenue

on the plus side it seems like a decent phone for the money - Antutu test gave it 13600, nice big bright screen, apps load and scroll quickly, camera is quick - a big step up from the G300. Cost €127 + €35 customs. Only con is I'm slightly worried about dropping it due the size.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

Just a little confused. Will the phone mentioned here work with google apps straight out of the box?

Reading that google play and flashing apps are required. Is there a guide to all of this or does one get the phone rooted and all things then fall into place?

Thanks

• Advertisement

LFC Murphy wrote: »
    Just a little confused. Will the phone mentioned here work with google apps straight out of the box?

Reading that google play and flashing apps are required. Is there a guide to all of this or does one get the phone rooted and all things then fall into place?

Thanks

my one had the Play Store installed, and a fairly plain version of Jellybean with no Chinese apps. Your mileage may vary in this though - have a look through the thread for other people's experiences.

One thing I have found, while installing all my regular apps, a few of them are marked on the Play Store as "not compatible" - Podkicker and Next Train Dublin are 2 that won't install - which is odd as they're shown as compatible with my equally obscure android tv box.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Enrique2SIM

Hi everyone,

It seems that many folks are having an admissible experience with these Chinese Android devices. Does anybody could suggest online stores where one can buy these brands (Jiayu, Wiko, etc.)

It would be great you guys can share your thoughts about the shipping services and warrant policies if there is any...

Regards

I'm going for the Jiayu G4. Just waiting on some much needed funds..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Personally I prefer the THL W200 ( I think!) but I think I need a gorilla glass phone, so will most likely be the MX58 PRO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Still waiting on my W200 from Cardiff. €20 for express delivery my arse! It has been sent by standard post.

Good price on the phone though.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭efahey

Have Zopo C2 nearly a week now and have to say very happy with it

eamonnq wrote: »
    Personally I prefer the THL W200 ( I think!) but I think I need a gorilla glass phone, so will most likely be the MX58 PRO.

It's why I'm going for the G4.

G4 = MTK6589 = BAD GPS ?:mad:

eamonnq wrote: »
    G4 = MTK6589 = BAD GPS ?:mad:

MTK6589T. So apparently not.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,684 ✭✭✭✭banie01

banie01 wrote: »
    Folks I posted earlier regarding this but I'm still looking for some pointers.
    My son wants a new Android for Xmas and is after something like this
    I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience of this handset?
    Or can recommend something better?
    His previous phone was my old HTC Desire, and @that size is what we are after but obviously rugged and capable of gaming(angry birds/Temple Run)
    Any advice appreciated.

Just in case anyone has a similar query as mine above.
    I went with a ZTE V965 It will keep my son happy and should run everything he can think to throw at it...
    At a cost that won't leave me worrying everytime he goes off out ;)

• Advertisement

Moto G

this makes a lot of the lower end Chinese phones completely redundant

pajor wrote: »
    Mixeshop says it's the turbo.

Just be sure you get the one you think you are getting, a lot of the sites say a lot of things.................

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Moto G

The 8gb versions price does... but it doesn't have an sd slot. Not many people would want a phone with under 5gb usable space. The 8gb haier w910 (with sd slot) has a very similar spec and is 50% cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Moto G

Nice piece of kit but the lack of expandable storage is a deal breaker for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,792 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Panthro wrote: »

Even the link that you posted has a bit of confusion on the page.

Title of the phone says 'JIAYU JY-G4 Thick-Battery MTK6589T'

further down the page it says:

'JIAYU JY-G4 MTK6589 Quad Core 4.7 Inch IPS HD'

and then after that it says:

' JIAYU G4 There Are Four Version,Now Let Us See Where is the difference.

I: JIAYU G4 Basic Thick-Battery.1GB RAM ,4GB ROM. Size 133 x 65 x11mm,3000mAh Battery. (White,Black In Stcok)

II: JIAYU G4 Basic Thin-Battery.1GB RAM ,4GB ROM. Size 133 x 65 x8.2mm,1850mAh Battery. (White In Stock)

III: JIAYU G4 Advanced Thick-Battery.2GB RAM ,32GB ROM. Size 133 x 65 x11mm,3000mAh Battery. (White/Black In Stock)

IV: JIAYU G4 Advanced Thin-Battery.2GB RAM ,32GB ROM. Size 133 x 65 x8.2mm,1850mAh Battery. (No Stock) '

and then the image where they have posted the Antutu information says 'MT6589' but then the 'spec' below says 'MTK6589T, Cortex A7 quad core, 1.5GHz'

:confused:

All I am saying is that if you are buying one, make sure you get the one you think you are buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,792 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Oh yeah deffo, especially before you place the order you should double check and make sure it's the right one. (I'd imagine as a precaution you could contact them and double check the order. I contacted Mixeshop through Skype to see had my phone been shipped, they got back to me pretty quickly)
    See just above the 4 versions you quoted it says:
    JIAYU JY-G4 MTK6589 Quad Core 4.7 Inch IPS HD Retina Screen Android 4.2 1GB RAM 13MP Camera Gyroscope SmartPhone

All The G4 Phone CPU Update To MTK6589T 1.5GHz.

Now, obviously I don't know just how reliable that is to be honest,but I'd imagine/hope that is something someone could fall back on if they were sent out the MKT6589 instead of the MKT6589T.
    when I was ordering it did say the MKT6589T version so that's the one I went with.

• Advertisement

anyone else encounter this - my phone arrived with Play Store installed, but not most other Google apps. I can install Gmail, Maps etc, but not any apps that require the maps API - eg Next Train/Bus, UlsterBank, Atooma.

I think I've found the necessary files to copy over but wanted to see if anyone else had had the same issue?
    Nice piece of kit but the lack of expandable storage is a deal breaker for me.

ordering from China is a deal breaker for many people, especially if there is a comparable phone for comparable money available locally - look how popular the G300 was. I'm pretty sure the Moto G will come with full Google Apps so no need to monkey around flashing zip files, and 16GB is enough for most users.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement