Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

positron wrote: »
    bidiots, I will fight your G2S with my G3 any day - it's could be a bit of a weapon at the right hands :D
    Thargor wrote: »
    http://www.priceangels.com/Star-B93-MTK6577-Android-4-0-3G-Smartphone-GSM-WCDMA-Dual-Standby-Quad-Band-with-4-7--HD-Capacitive--Screen-and-Wi-Fi-GPS-Bluetooth--Black--s252252.html

Well its only an 1800 mAh battery according to that, the Jiayu G3 is 3000, you could just be using it as its intended. I see it comes with 2 batteries aswell, thats always a sign that even the designers of the phone or tablet think the battery performance is weak.

I cant find much mention of your phone on XDA developers so it doesnt look like it has a big modding community around it, I dont know if it even has root access or not:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/index.php

Did you root yours? You wont be flashing any ROMs without root access.

Well as one of the few who has used both the G3 and G2S...i'll take the higher road here:p

Regards the battery life of the G3, there are ways to reduce drain such as 'toning' down system settings and adjusting screen brightness,using apps such as 'juicedefender' and 'tasker', turning off wifi/gps etc etc......but why have the phone if you turn off the 'cool' features

But to be honest, I'm a bit skeptical about the claims of the battery size in the G3. Yes the screen is huge and amazing res, but with my Samsung S3, I could get 2 days easy, with out reducing any settings. And the S3 has a smaller battery. Just my 2 cents

And Positron....size doesn't matter - unless you are compensating for something:D

P.S. I'm surprised how the G2S has impressed me, battery life so far is brilliant, screen res is very impressive. The shape/size/weight is whats really doing if for me, for 150 quid, it's looking like an amazing deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭positron

bidiots wrote: »
    And Positron....size doesn't matter - unless you are compensating for something:D

I am sure you are talking about eye sight. :cool:

Also G3 is very eghh stiff...

I looked into a few reviews of G3 - all good in general, but I am a bit iffy on how thick the phone looks. I am a sucker for wafer-thin phones.. G4 that was mentioned above looks much thinner..!

PS: I hate my current phone too - it's one of the old favourites of boards - San Fran-fecking-cisco. This is possibly the last of those in service between all boards users....!! :)

Actually just noticed you had a San Fran, I got a couple of these years ago, found it to be a great piece of kit for the money and the ROM's available were brilliant. You should still get a few quid for the phone, get a spare battery and its still well able for the basics:)

Yeah you are right about SanFran, but mine is truely fra-cked with my motorbike commute - it still looks and works okay, but the main issue is that the 3.5 mm jack isn't working. I could probably turn it into a motorbike GPS device, or a basic "action camera" or something like that. Anyway, my 2 year old has claimed it now as her own for various baby game apps - when she can't get her hands on any other phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Tell us more stories about the G3 in daily usage someone, still no fecking change on the Singapore website, still item dispatched to IE...

I see the G5 is already being talked about, just looks like any other iPhone rip-off though, the G4 looks way nicer and 4.7 inch screen:

http://www.gizchina.com/2013/01/29/jiayu-g5-leaked-image-reveals-iphone-styling/

The Oppo Find 5 also went on sale in the last couple of days but sold out instantly, that is a seriously good looking phone and a 5 inch screen, costs around €450 though if you ever manage to get one, could be big news in a few months time:

http://www.chinaphonereview.com/oppo-find-5-x909

• Advertisement

I don't think I could trust my trouser pocket with the Oppo, can just imagine the 'smash' as I sat down quickly and bent it in two....its a lot of money too....

Thargor wrote: »
    Tell us more stories about the G3 in daily usage someone, still no fecking change on the Singapore website, still item dispatched to IE...

Guess I am not a power user to your level Thargor, but wifi is still acting up in some rooms where the laptop usually and G300 definitely holds connection. However I am in the process of switching over to Sky, so Vodafone has changed the profile on my line and it's not very stable anyway. I heard Sky hub has a stronger signal, so this might be okay. I am yet to set up mobile data (switched over Lyca yesterday - need to sort that out now).

Battery - it takes a good while to charge up to 100% - like 6 hours or more on USB power, 3-4 hours on wall charger. And I noticed it drained nearly 40% last night with about 4 hours of active use - with wifi on, streaming, games etc.

Tried video skyping over wifi - it was fine, but skype dies after about 30 seconds. Not exactly sure what was going on there - as wifi is iffy and so was the net at the other end.

Most unexpected best feature - dual sim. Super cool that I could leave both my old SIM and new Lyca SIM on the phone during switching and the SIM management options are really useable and very cool.

Fingers crossed your G3 gets delivered without much further delay.

Give the battery a couple of full charges and discharges and it should settle a bit, and give Juicedefender a try, not sure about the wi-fi issue, Ive seen people praising it in other threads on XDA Developers but it definitely wouldnt be the first Chinese Android device to ship with poor wi-fi reception, fingers crossed the Jellybean ROM will be out soon and they'll have sorted the bugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

What is the Volume output through headphones like? I find the G330 very low

^^ Is that about G3? It's fine as far as I can tell. Radio reception is pretty good too.

• Advertisement

^^ Is that about G3? It's fine as far as I can tell. Radio reception is pretty good too.
    Thank, more about the G2S though, think the G3 is out of my hand size range ;)

Cycle to work a bit and need to hear it above the traffic

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

How much customs did you get hit with Dan?
    No idea. It's still "sent to customs".
    FASCISTS!

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    No idea. It's still "sent to customs".
    FASCISTS!

Check your email, they should be getting in touch with you with a nice 'charge' in order to release the phone....unlucky dude

If that happens to me Ill lose it, there's something wrong with my Xperia Play, apps keep crashing including system apps like the dialer no matter what ROM I put on it, I think the RAM might be dying or something.

Came in a week, not caught for customs. I did ask them to mark it as a gift with a value below $100, but I didn't see any customs forms with it when it arrived.
    I think the limit is €35 and it being a gift makes no difference at all... it's pure pot luck and nothing else!

Total Value of Goods - € 146.79
    Customs Duty - € 0.00
    VAT @ 23% - € 33.76
    An Post Fee - € 6.00
    Total for Collection - € 39.76
    "An Post fee"... an extra fee for charging me extra. JFC...

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    "An Post fee"... an extra fee for charging me extra. JFC...

Ouch...was this for the G2 or G2S?

Ouch...was this for the G2 or G2S?
    G2 Dual Core 1Gb + 32Gb SD + battery.
    Why oh why don't hongkonggeek sell them...

No matter the supplier, if you use standard post then it looks more likely to get hit with the tax. Major ball ache tho...I've been lucky twice, doubt I'd get away with a third...will give it a go tho:D

P.S. Hongkonggeek do sell them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

No matter the supplier, if you use standard post then it looks more likely to get hit with the tax. Major ball ache tho...I've been lucky twice, doubt I'd get away with a third...will give it a go tho:D

Hongkongeeks refund you the tax if you get caught.

• Advertisement

Good to know...

They sell the 512Mb in white. Yuk!

Hong Kong Geeks dont sell the G2S do they? cant see it on there

I don't see the G2S, it was the G2 I was referring to....

FFS, Singapore Post still says Despatched to overseas (Country code: IE), this is getting ridiculous, if I didnt need the phone it would have turned up in about 5 days...

That doesn't sound good...have you dealt with this retailer before?

Yeah Ive bought tablets and 360 modding gear from them loads of times, this is Singapore Post at fault though, they had the package for 4 days and now the tracking says dispatched to Ireland for the past week, I know Ill get it eventually its just pissing me off now.

RELEASED FROM CUSTOMS DUBLIN MAIL CENTRE, DUBLIN 12 31-Jan-13
    15:15
    Nearly there lads!
    Total bill now €186.55...

Hey Dan, could you do me a favour please, click on this link on the Singapore tracking page:

GgDyrcS.jpg

It gives you a new screen with a full history of what the package did for every step and how long it took, either screenshot or paste the details in here if you can please or else just tell me what the dates were when it went to Despatched to overseas (Country code: IE), I just want to know how long that step took yours, no worries if you cant do it on a phone or whatever, thanks.

• Advertisement

Sure thing Thargor
    Status Date Status Description
    18-01-2013 INFORMATION RECEIVED
    (This is not an acknowledgment of the physical receipt of the stated Registered Article)
    19-01-2013 Despatched to overseas (Country code: IE)
    25-01-2013 Arrived at overseas (Country code: IE)
    An Post have it down as "Item Received" on the 25/01 also.
    So 6 days to get here? And as I predicted, longer to get from Dublin to me than from Singapore to Dublin!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement