Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,925 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

pauleoin wrote: »
    This offer from Tesco mobile might be of use to those of us that have dual sim phones, 5GB a month of data each month for 3 months for €5.

http://www.tescomobile.ie/terms/tcs-high-speed-data.aspx

Just order a free sim online and top up by €5, plan allows tethering. (or more sims if you want more data)

Each data bundle is 5 GB allowance for 30 days. 3 bundles will be applied during the offer. The first bundle is applied on activation as outlined above. The second bundle is applied 30 days later and the third bundle is applied 60 days later.
    A Single minimum top up of €5 or more required between the promotion dates 18th November 2013 to 19th January 2014.

Tesco have just removed the cap on their data rates too, was getting 8Mb/s when I tested yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭gripcasey

Just took delivery of a Neo N003 advanced on Friday

Wow.... What a phone.....Its absolutely superb !!

Im suffering from food sickness right now but will post a full review over the next day or two

Rock Paper Scissors how are you finding the Neo 003. I'm thinking of ordering one. Would you recommend it. Which site did you order from. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

Completely forgot to write my review mate, sorry about that, I am suffering with the flu now right off the back of food poisoning :(

Will post a review tomorrow as im just on my way out now

I can even go one better though:

I am located in Ballyfermot and if you live close by you are more than welcome to call to my home to take a look at the phone yourself

Rock Paper Scissors thanks for offer to have a look at phone but I wouldn't be able meet up. But I look forward to your review of it. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭seanin4711

loyatemu wrote: »
    Tesco have just removed the cap on their data rates too, was getting 8Mb/s when I tested yesterday.

possible to just get data off them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭seanin4711

http://gizbeat.com/2472/mtk6592-officially-unleashed/

octo core 2gb sweet baby jesus yes!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,925 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

seanin4711 wrote: »
    possible to just get data off them?

outside of that introductory offer, 5GB (over 30 days) of data costs €10 credit. They use O2's network.

As promised here is my review of the Neo N003:

Make & Model: Neo N003 Advanced (2G/32G)

Place of Purchase: Chinapadmall.com

Price: $299 (includes shipping, OTG cable & MHL cable)

Antutu Benchmark score: 15572

Weight: 179g according to my kitchen scales

Bear in mind that Im went from an iPhone 3GS to the Neo so its like going from a mini cooper to a ferrari.

The build quality of the Neo is absolutely superb and the clarity of the screen is jaw dropping.

For months I was torn between buying a Jiayu G4 advanced or the Neo n003 advanced. I chose the Neo in the end due to the larger screen and the fact that its 1080p and the Jiayu is only 720p. MHL on the Neo also influenced my decision.

I take a lot of video on my phones and Andy from Gizchina described the Neo as the "video champ" from the family of current mediatek phones, meaning he thinks the quality of the video on the Neo surpasses other mediatek phones including the G4. Camera quality is indeed fantastic.

On Andy's review of the Neo he also mentioned that there was some lag on the home screen. I didnt notice this at all. I didnt install a 3rd party launcher and don't experience any lag.

Battery life is fantastic too on the Neo which is to be expected with the 3000mAh battery.

I also havn't encountered any of the GPS issues that are also talked about with regards to mediatek phones. When I open Google maps my location seems to lock on straight away.

I love the look and feel of the phone, Its so slick.

Since ordering this phone 2 other people from work have ordered one after seeing mine.

There isnt anything I dont like about the phone, best purchase I've made in a long time.

Just wanted to mention that I am forever ordering tablets/android boxes/gadgets from Asia.

I always choose the snail mail/free shipping, ask them to mark it as a "bluetooth speaker" with $50 value and have never paid any customs charges.... ever !!

I dont understand why some people choose DHL when your almost certain to pay customs charges along with DHL's delivery fee. If I had have chosen DHL delivery for the neo and had got hit for customs charges, the phone would have cost me €70 more. Thats not chump change.

Id give the NEO 10/10

I just cant fault it on anything

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

I also havn't encountered any of the GPS issues that are also talked about with regards to mediatek phones. When I open Google maps my location seems to lock on straight away.

The Neo N003 uses the MTK6589T chip so there should not be any issues with GPS as far as I know.

I recently acquired a LENOVO A830 which uses the MTK6589 chip (not the T version) and amazingly the GPS seems to work perfectly on it, it is the first MTK6589 phone that I have come across that has not had a problem with the GPS.

Stuck a few different custom roms on it, and am absolutely delighted with the phone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

Id give the NEO 10/10

How do you find the weight? Does it seem a bit heavy. Specs show it topping 135g including battery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

Hubby bought this one , arrived yesterday. Looks great and working fine, only problem he can find with it is not been able to update the OS. It's Android 4.1 and some apps wont install.

http://www.**********.com/product-129089.html

I5 Android 4.1 Smartphone with 4.0 inch WVGA Screen MT6517 Dual Core 1GHz 8GB - Black

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

Great review :) did the phone come rooted from Chinapadmall.com ?

Are there any Chinese apps left on the phone when you get it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

eamonnq wrote: »
    The Neo N003 uses the MTK6589T chip so there should not be any issues with GPS as far as I know.

I recently acquired a LENOVO A830 which uses the MTK6589 chip (not the T version) and amazingly the GPS seems to work perfectly on it, it is the first MTK6589 phone that I have come across that has not had a problem with the GPS.

Stuck a few different custom roms on it, and am absolutely delighted with the phone now.

Isnt that for eamonnq junior :p

Isnt that for eamonnq junior :p

Not anymore it is not!!!:P

He can have it when my next phone arrives..............

Not anymore it is not!!!:P

He can have it when my next phone arrives..............

How did you get on with the THL that had the cracked screen?

Have not ordered the replacement screen yet, think it will cost about 40 euro, and I picked up an A830 at a good price so am not in any major hurry!!, might put it on ebay as is and see what I get offered for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

MTK 6592 Phone now available

Wonder what the GPS will be like compared to MTK6589

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Have not ordered the replacement screen yet, think it will cost about 40 euro, and I picked up an A830 at a good price so am not in any major hurry!!, might put it on ebay as is and see what I get offered for it.

Thinking of doing the same with W200. Made a b*llocks of the screen in less than a week. Considering getting a replacement screen but pretty sure it wouldn't take me long to break it again. :o

Also I might be extremely thick but can't for the life of me figure out how to physically remove the screen. I have followed the only video I can find and have taken out the camera and cables which in theory allows you to remove the screen, but can see myself snapping the board in half doing it!

Anybody done a W200 or something similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭barry75

Price: $299 (includes shipping, OTG cable & MHL cable)

Antutu Benchmark score: 15572

Bear in mind that Im went from an iPhone 3GS to the Neo so its like going from a mini cooper to a ferrari.

The build quality of the Neo is absolutely superb and the clarity of the screen is jaw dropping.

For months I was torn between buying a Jiayu G4 advanced or the Neo n003 advanced. I chose the Neo in the end due to the larger screen and the fact that its 1080p and the Jiayu is only 720p. MHL on the Neo also influenced my decision.

I take a lot of video on my phones and Andy from Gizchina described the Neo as the "video champ" from the family of current mediatek phones, meaning he thinks the quality of the video on the Neo surpasses other mediatek phones including the G4. Camera quality is indeed fantastic.

On Andy's review of the Neo he also mentioned that there was some lag on the home screen. I didnt notice this at all. I didnt install a 3rd party launcher and don't experience any lag.

Battery life is fantastic too on the Neo which is to be expected with the 3000mAh battery.

I love the look and feel of the phone, Its so slick.

Since ordering this phone 2 other people from work have ordered one after seeing mine.

There isnt anything I dont like about the phone, best purchase I've made in a long time.

Just wanted to mention that I am forever ordering tablets/android boxes/gadgets from Asia.

I always choose the snail mail/free shipping, ask them to mark it as a "bluetooth speaker" with $50 value and have never paid any customs charges.... ever !!

I dont understand why some people choose DHL when your almost certain to pay customs charges along with DHL's delivery fee. If I had have chosen DHL delivery for the neo and had got hit for customs charges, the phone would have cost me €70 more. Thats not chump change.

Id give the NEO 10/10

Thanks for the great review.I just went ahead and ordered this phone today only available in white.I also went with the snail mail option,did it take a few weeks to reach you?Do you need to upgrade the firmware on the phone before it will work here,or does it work straight out of the box?Cheers

• Advertisement

Thinking of doing the same with W200. Made a b*llocks of the screen in less than a week. Considering getting a replacement screen but pretty sure it wouldn't take me long to break it again. :o

Also I might be extremely thick but can't for the life of me figure out how to physically remove the screen. I have followed the only video I can find and have taken out the camera and cables which in theory allows you to remove the screen, but can see myself snapping the board in half doing it!

Anybody done a W200 or something similar?

I think I would be more inclined to order the screen, but let someone else (with a bit of experience) fit it.

I think I would be more inclined to order the screen, but let someone else (with a bit of experience) fit it.

Chinese guys in the square would do it.

I know a man that might do it for the price of a pint!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

abarkie wrote: »
    MTK 6592 Phone now available

Wonder what the GPS will be like compared to MTK6589

http://zopomobile.cn/countdown-begins/

Be interesting to see the full spec on this one

http://www.zoposhop.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=79&product_id=83

LFC Murphy wrote: »
    How do you find the weight? Does it seem a bit heavy. Specs show it topping 135g including battery

I think the weight is fine, it feels more sturdy than heavy
    barry75 wrote: »
    Thanks for the great review.I just went ahead and ordered this phone today only available in white.I also went with the snail mail option,did it take a few weeks to reach you?Do you need to upgrade the firmware on the phone before it will work here,or does it work straight out of the box?Cheers

It took about 3 weeks to arrive. It came rooted and I didnt need to upgrade the firmware, its works right out of the box

Thanks to Rock Paper Scissors Review I just ordered the Neo N003.
    Now the long wait to it arrives,

I think the weight is fine, it feels more sturdy than heavy

It took about 3 weeks to arrive. It came rooted and I didnt need to upgrade the firmware, its works right out of the box

Did you ask for it to be rooted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Yeah, I was thinking that may be for the best! Screen is roughly €60. Can't find it any cheaper!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

In the end I opted not to buy from China. Came across this phone in a Kiosk in Krakow. I paid 679zl (160€). Seems its a Chinese phone (Lad in Kiosk said it is a Polish brand assembled in China). Seems a cracker for what I paid. 1gb Ram, 4GB memory, 8mp camera and a 2mp front. Dual sim. So far so good, Battery is average, sound through headset is good. Not much lag either. Camera is very good. Takes great photos with flash (Which ive struggled with other phones).

Its available on Allegro and a few other sites. 24 month warranty as well.

http://www.myphone.pl/Produkty/Telefony/Telefon/tabid/69/cn/ViewPhone/model/myPhone%20NEXT/pid/72/Default.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

The thing with the w200 is there is no gorilla glass – a point to consider if anyone is thinking of buying one

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement