Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

Barr wrote: »
    The thing with the w200 is there is no gorilla glass – a point to consider if anyone is thinking of buying one

It's why I didn't go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Barr wrote: »
    The thing with the w200 is there is no gorilla glass – a point to consider if anyone is thinking of buying one

Yes. Tbh the screen is terrible. It cracked extremely easily. The touch screen is useless once it cracks, the lcd, digitizer? and screen are one and have to be replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Haven't had any issues with mine so far, then again I've not dropped it yet. Might get a wrap around case off eBay though.

I stupidly put it in the same pocket as my Iphone and the corner of the screen cracked, quite a small crack but renders the screen useless anyway!

A flip case or something which protects the screen is definitely advisable.

Or perhaps I'm just careless. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

Yes. Tbh the screen is terrible. It cracked extremely easily. The touch screen is useless once it cracks, the lcd, digitizer? and screen are one and have to be replaced.

Hi Mick,

Just on chat with Merimobile and they say that the W200 has gorilla glass!!!

Now I'm a little concerned about the THL W9 that I'm looking to order. I was also told it has gorilla glass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

LFC Murphy wrote: »
    Hi Mick,

Now I'm a little concerned about the THL W9 that I'm looking to order. I was also told it has gorilla glass

They would say anything!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Hi Mick,

Ask for her number:p

Hi Mick,

It most definitely does not. More like calculator glass!

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

eamonnq wrote: »
    They would say anything!!

Can't seem to get an official spec on these THL phones to confirm

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

snaps wrote: »
    In the end I opted not to buy from China. Came across this phone in a Kiosk in Krakow. I paid 679zl (160€). Seems its a Chinese phone (Lad in Kiosk said it is a Polish brand assembled in China). Seems a cracker for what I paid. 1gb Ram, 4GB memory, 8mp camera and a 2mp front. Dual sim. So far so good, Battery is average, sound through headset is good. Not much lag either. Camera is very good. Takes great photos with flash (Which ive struggled with other phones).

Its available on Allegro and a few other sites. 24 month warranty as well.

http://www.myphone.pl/Produkty/Telefony/Telefon/tabid/69/cn/ViewPhone/model/myPhone%20NEXT/pid/72/Default.aspx

Hi, this link appears to be broken. Do you have details of the phone?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,474 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

A newish phone (thlw100) has a problem with the camera. Either screen is green where image should be or else it says can't connect to camera. I've Googled but any answers relate to custom ROM problems. Rebooting phone normally cures problem temporarily.

Anyone come across this problem before and/or any solutions?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,685 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Not the happiest with Merimobiles at the mo.
    Ordered a phone on the 13th, went into ''order processing''
    Found out there was a change of mind on the recipients behalf so checked the order status on the 16th to find it was still ''order processing''
    Contacted them to cancel, received and acknowledgement of that request on the 17th.
    On the 18th I received a shipping notification from them, so I contacted them again regarding the order now being cancelled.
    Merimobiles said they would try to recall the order, but in the event it was delivered to just refuse delivery and it would be RTS.
    So imagine my surprise when the order wasn't actually shipped until the 20th ;)

Fast forward to now, Merimobiles contact me to let me know my order is in customs(I had already been in touch with DHL to refuse delivery) totally ignoring the account notes and messages marking it as cancelled and to give me instructions on how to falsify the amount paid on the receipt customs would need ;)
    Now to be clear, I never asked Merimobiles to make any false declaration.
    They shipped the phone as ''documents'' and with a nominal value!

I told him following their earlier instruction to refuse delivery that I did just that.
    The Merimobiles operator then told me, I should accept the delivery and ship it back to them via another courier(Risking its loss and further delay)
    So I should take the customs hit on a cancelled order that they also falsely declared on Import/Tariff docs(Which wouldn't be so bad if I had requested this action or indeed if I knew what item/what value it was declared at) and that they shipped 4 and a half days after acknowledging that it was cancelled and didn't actually ship until 2 days later than they claimed.

I've used plenty of other China/Hong Kong based sellers in the past and I will again, but Merimobiles are off my list for the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Merimobiles pissed me off the last time taking so long to send one out ill be thinking long and hard on my next supplier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

eamonnq wrote: »
    Personally I prefer the THL W200 ( I think!) but I think I need a gorilla glass phone, so will most likely be the MX58 PRO.

Is the MX58 Pro still available anywhere? It seems to be sold out on merimobiles

I am typing this from my new Jiayu G4. :D

Firstly, mixeshop's EUEXP shipping was an excellent choice and I'd recommend. Didn't pay a cent in VAT. It got sent to Belgium first and they paid it. :D

Edit: Only took 10 days too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

johnb25 wrote: »
    Hi, this link appears to be broken. Do you have details of the phone?

Thanks

Just go to my phone.com it seems to have a problem with the English site. The polish language site works fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭phunks

pajor wrote: »

Firstly, mixeshop's EUEXP shipping was an excellent choice and I'd recommend. Didn't pay a cent in VAT. It got sent to Belgium first and they paid it. :D

Great stuff. Are you running the stock ROM or have you tried any others?

phunks wrote: »
    Great stuff. Are you running the stock ROM or have you tried any others?

I'm running stock ROM. Not really too interested in trying anything else, it's working great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

Hi

Are you willing to share how much you paid at all?

Thanks

abarkie wrote: »
    Hi

Are you willing to share how much you paid at all?

Thanks

€183 including shipping and a silicone case. The case came in the wrong colour though, must have been out of stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

I'm considering buying a Chinese android phone, I'm not looking for anything too powerful, just a front and rear facing camera and the ability to use Facebook and such.
    http://www.mixeshop.com/s9940-mtk6572-dual-core-40-inch-android-42-3g-gps-wifi-smartphone_p2983.html
    This seems like it'll suit my needs, however, I remember reading that some Chinese phones cannot connect to the Irish 3g network, do you people know if this one can? thank you.

I'm considering buying a Chinese android phone, I'm not looking for anything too powerful, just a front and rear facing camera and the ability to use Facebook and such.
    http://www.mixeshop.com/s9940-mtk6572-dual-core-40-inch-android-42-3g-gps-wifi-smartphone_p2983.html
    This seems like it'll suit my needs, however, I remember reading that some Chinese phones cannot connect to the Irish 3g network, do you people know if this one can? thank you.

That'll work on 3G here. But the processer in that phone probably won't be much good with GPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

That'll work on 3G here. But the processer in that phone probably won't be much good with GPS.
    Thank you, wouldn't be any bother for me, I've had a smart phone ever since the affordable non luxury ones came onto the market and I've probably used the GPS a total of 5 times. Pretty much I'll want this for Facebook, Netflix, Spotify and possibly the likes of Snapchat and Instagram, would you say it will work well enough for what I want it for?

Thank you, wouldn't be any bother for me, I've had a smart phone ever since the affordable non luxury ones came onto the market and I've probably used the GPS a total of 5 times. Pretty much I'll want this for Facebook, Netflix, Spotify and possibly the likes of Snapchat and Instagram, would you say it will work well enough for what I want it for?

It's 'only' got 512mb of RAM. It seems that these days that might cause it to lag a bit. I'd say find something with 1gb and you're good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

€183 including shipping and a silicone case. The case came in the wrong colour though, must have been out of stock.

was that for the basic G4 or the advanced model?

Cheers

was that for the basic G4 or the advanced model?

Cheers

Basic with the big battery.

Edit: This one. Now $6 less than what I paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

Dude thats coming in at 196 euro for me!!

Redriddick wrote: »
    Dude thats coming in at 196 euro for me!!

How are you coming up with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭raymann

• Advertisement

raymann wrote: »

You'd be able to do even more at the same time with 2gb of RAM. Big SD means no real need for a separate SD card.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement