Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,724 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Hello folks.

Looking for some help regarding a phone, looking at buying a phone in a week or two.

Looking for some help picking one, Advanced Neo one seems to be popular here, budget of 250 euro to my door with use for social media and basic internet use, as good a camera as i can get for the money with good memory.

don't understand quad core,1.5 ghz processor lingo etc so any help appreciated, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

Does anyone know where I could find the mx58 pro for sale? I really want to buy this phone but it seems to be sold out??

Barring that are there any phones with the same/better spec available for similar money?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Detective Mittens

Hi, I'm new to these Chinese phones but not new to Android. This caught my eye the other day:

Morefine S6pro, MTK6589T Quad Core 1.5GHz CPU, 2GB RAM, 32GB Memory, 6.5inch screen (1920*1080 pixels) 3300 mAh Battery + spare in box, Android 4.2. All for around €230 including shipping depending on where you buy. I am looking for a phablet and make calls maybe twice a week so physical size isn't an issue. Is this too good to be true in your experience? It also has a respectable Antutu score.

Review(non-independent by the sound of it)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5NOLPxMJrA

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭eoinfitzokk

dahat wrote: »
    Hello folks.

Looking for some help regarding a phone, looking at buying a phone in a week or two.

Looking for some help picking one, Advanced Neo one seems to be popular here, budget of 250 euro to my door with use for social media and basic internet use, as good a camera as i can get for the money with good memory.

don't understand quad core,1.5 ghz processor lingo etc so any help appreciated, thanks.

Moto G - Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Moto-8GB-Sim-Free-Smartphone/dp/B00ECBREK2/ref=sr_1_2?m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1385859211&sr=1-2 ?. One of the best priced unlocked android phones out there at the moment. That 's where my money would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭RaggyDays

That Moto g has only 8gig ram (no SD card slot) to share between apps and OS which isnt enough when you add in music,video and photos. Not that the camera on it is up to much. The 16gig version is €200. for an extra €90 you could get the Jiayu S1.

xe6d5ea8ded8c1737b67c798194e54ca8.jpg.pagespeed.ic.XOK12OKK1a.jpgMotoG_2-380-80.jpg
    ..........................Jiayu S1______________________________________Moto g.............
    Processor.....1.7ghz Qualcom 600___________________________1.2ghz Qualcom 400
    GPU............Adreno 320___________________________________Adreno 305
    L1 + L2 Ram.2gig_________________________________________1gig
    Ram............32gig________________________________________16gig
    Camera .......13 mega pixel Sony____________________________5MP Generic
    Video...........1080 @30fps__________________________________720p @ 20fps
    Price............€299_________________________________________€210

http://www.1949deal.com/jiayu-s1-snapdragon-apq8064-quad-core-1-7ghz-android-4-2-smart-phone-2gb-ram-32gb-rom-5-0-inch-fhd-ogs-ips-screen-otg-nfc.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,724 ✭✭✭✭dahat

As promised here is my review of the Neo N003:

Make & Model: Neo N003 Advanced (2G/32G)

Place of Purchase: Chinapadmall.com

Price: $299 (includes shipping, OTG cable & MHL cable)

Antutu Benchmark score: 15572

Weight: 179g according to my kitchen scales

Bear in mind that Im went from an iPhone 3GS to the Neo so its like going from a mini cooper to a ferrari.

The build quality of the Neo is absolutely superb and the clarity of the screen is jaw dropping.

For months I was torn between buying a Jiayu G4 advanced or the Neo n003 advanced. I chose the Neo in the end due to the larger screen and the fact that its 1080p and the Jiayu is only 720p. MHL on the Neo also influenced my decision.

I take a lot of video on my phones and Andy from Gizchina described the Neo as the "video champ" from the family of current mediatek phones, meaning he thinks the quality of the video on the Neo surpasses other mediatek phones including the G4. Camera quality is indeed fantastic.

On Andy's review of the Neo he also mentioned that there was some lag on the home screen. I didnt notice this at all. I didnt install a 3rd party launcher and don't experience any lag.

Battery life is fantastic too on the Neo which is to be expected with the 3000mAh battery.

I also havn't encountered any of the GPS issues that are also talked about with regards to mediatek phones. When I open Google maps my location seems to lock on straight away.

I love the look and feel of the phone, Its so slick.

Since ordering this phone 2 other people from work have ordered one after seeing mine.

There isnt anything I dont like about the phone, best purchase I've made in a long time.

Just wanted to mention that I am forever ordering tablets/android boxes/gadgets from Asia.

I always choose the snail mail/free shipping, ask them to mark it as a "bluetooth speaker" with $50 value and have never paid any customs charges.... ever !!

I dont understand why some people choose DHL when your almost certain to pay customs charges along with DHL's delivery fee. If I had have chosen DHL delivery for the neo and had got hit for customs charges, the phone would have cost me €70 more. Thats not chump change.

Id give the NEO 10/10

I just cant fault it on anything

Any issues since?

I am fairly close to ordering one of these, just wondering if any issues popped up with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

No issues at all mate, I couldnt be happier

Its a superb phone

One thing I did notice though was that everytime the phone powers off and back on, the wifi MAC address changes, not sure why but its no big deal.

You wont be disappointed if you pull the trigger on this phone

I gaurantee it :)

RaggyDays wrote: »
    That Moto g has only 8gig ram (no SD card slot) to share between apps and OS which isnt enough when you add in music,video and photos. Not that the camera on it is up to much. The 16gig version is €200. for an extra €90 you could get the Jiayu S1.

The 16GB Moto G is only about €150 from Tesco. While the specs are certainly a lot better on the S1 it is about twice the price. I have both an 8GB Moto G and a Jiayu G4 advanced and don't notice much difference between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Whats the ROM community like for these phone, namely the Neo N003 and Jiayu S1? My HTC One X is acting up and really can't justify spending 500+ quid on a phone that will be out of date as soon as I buy it. Would love an Galaxy S4 and am intrigued by the 1:1 clones, they look real good but would I be right in saying they are crap. The Neo looks a great phone for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭south

Any thoughts on this one.. Probably doesn't fit the cheap part of the thread but looks like a fine phone..http://www.xiaomiworld.com/original-xiaomi-mi3-smart-phone-snapdragon-800-quad-core-android-4-2-5-inch-2-3ghz-2gb-ram-16gb-rom-13-0mp.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Barr

south wrote: »
    Any thoughts on this one.. Probably doesn't fit the cheap part of the thread but looks like a fine phone..http://www.xiaomiworld.com/original-xiaomi-mi3-smart-phone-snapdragon-800-quad-core-android-4-2-5-inch-2-3ghz-2gb-ram-16gb-rom-13-0mp.html

Fantastic looking phone with a great processor. Is it a dual sim ?

Personally I’m not a fan of a built in battery so for me would be a slight drawback.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭brendan86

Was wondering if someone could help me out here, I bought the following phone from adverts

http://www.adverts.ie/mobile-phones/andriod-s4/3994244?notification=5fbef9870b3d809b3fb115350675daf6-1386244097#comment_21435762

Its a clone of a galaxy s4 mini.. It works grand apart from the fact I cant watch any videos on it. When I go to rte player or youtube it says 'flash player is not supported by this device' or something like that..

I tried googleing how to get it working but im not that tech headed when it comes to this sort of stuff would phones..

Could someone please explain it to me?? Is it possible to get videos working on it

Thanks

Brendan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

brendan86 wrote: »
    Was wondering if someone could help me out here, I bought the following phone from adverts

http://www.adverts.ie/mobile-phones/andriod-s4/3994244?notification=5fbef9870b3d809b3fb115350675daf6-1386244097#comment_21435762

Its a clone of a galaxy s4 mini.. It works grand apart from the fact I cant watch any videos on it. When I go to rte player or youtube it says 'flash player is not supported by this device' or something like that..

I tried googleing how to get it working but im not that tech headed when it comes to this sort of stuff would phones..

Could someone please explain it to me?? Is it possible to get videos working on it

Thanks

Brendan

You'll have to be a bit more specific. Are you accessing YouTube and RTE Player in the Internet browser? If so, RTE player will not work as it requires Flash which is no longer supported. There is an RTE player app on the Play store, download that and you can watch away. You should have no problems using YouTube on a mobile browser but you can download the app for that as well from the play store too.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Google chrome doesn't support flash but most sites like youtube should still work

If you get that error I assume you're using a different browser? If so then you might need to find the flash player plugin for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Thanks

Brendan

They discontinued flash after Android 4.0 I think.

Oooopppps I just reset my phone to clear everything off it because it kept asking me for previous owners google play password and I didnt know it..

After my phone reset everything is in chinese or something now :mad::mad::mad:

I dunno how to get it into english damn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

pajor wrote: »
    How are you coming up with that?

Well if you change to euro and add shipping of €30 euex it comes in at that!

Ok i got it back up and running in english i will now try videos again when i get it setup from here thanks for help

Ok i got it back up and running in english i will now try videos again when i get it setup from here thanks for help

Let us know if you get sorted. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

Redriddick wrote: »
    Well if you change to euro and add shipping of €30 euex it comes in at that!

Don't look at the site in euro, the exchange rate is bs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

pajor wrote: »
    Don't look at the site in euro, the exchange rate is bs.

Ah perfect cheers!!!

Redriddick wrote: »
    Ah perfect cheers!!!

You can get the real exchange rate off the paypal site or from Visa before hand. (if you have a Visa card of course)

Let us know if you get sorted. Good luck.

Ok I got the youtube app downloaded and its working alright.. But I still cant get videos working in the browser or rte player app which I would really like..

I use explorer as web browser..

Thanks for help

Ok I got the youtube app downloaded and its working alright.. But I still cant get videos working in the browser or rte player app which I would really like..

Thanks for help

Try Chrome.

Thanks for help

"Explorer"??? Videos will only work in the browser on non-flash optimised sites. There are a lot of websites with videos which won't work in the browser. As suggested above, download Chrome (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.android.chrome&hl=en) or Dolphin Browser (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mobi.mgeek.TunnyBrowser&hl=en). I'd also suggest MX Player (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mxtech.videoplayer.ad&hl=en) as a lot of time you can play a video in that instead of the browser.

Can you give an example of a site you're trying to view videos on? I can try it on my phone and see if its a phone or site problem?

As for the RTE Player App, is there an error message or does the video not play? It can be quite slow to load at times but I don't see why it wouldn't work with your phone.

"Explorer"??? Videos will only work in the browser on non-flash optimised sites. There are a lot of websites with videos which won't work in the browser. As suggested above, download Chrome (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.android.chrome&hl=en) or Dolphin Browser (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mobi.mgeek.TunnyBrowser&hl=en). I'd also suggest MX Player (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mxtech.videoplayer.ad&hl=en) as a lot of time you can play a video in that instead of the browser.

Can you give an example of a site you're trying to view videos on? I can try it on my phone and see if its a phone or site problem?

As for the RTE Player App, is there an error message or does the video not play? It can be quite slow to load at times but I don't see why it wouldn't work with your phone.

Thanks for your reply, On web browser on phone I tried viewing videos through the you tube website but it didnt work. When I downloaded the app however it worked.

When I went to the play store to download rte player it said 'this version of RTE Player is not compatable with your phone'

I tried to donload google chrome through the app store but when i searched 'google chrome' the web browser app didnt show up however when i tried firefox it showed up but I didnt download it as its like 64mb and I dont have much space left on phone as I need to purchase a SD Card

Brendan

Thanks for your reply, On web browser on phone I tried viewing videos through the you tube website but it didnt work. When I downloaded the app however it worked.

When I went to the play store to download rte player it said 'this version of RTE Player is not compatable with your phone'

I tried to donload google chrome through the app store but when i searched 'google chrome' the web browser app didnt show up however when i tried firefox it showed up but I didnt download it as its like 64mb and I dont have much space left on phone as I need to purchase a SD Card

Brendan

If the app isn't compatible with your phone I'm afraid you're out of luck. As was said earlier,flash is no longer supported by phones anymore so you won't be able to watch rte player without it unless you have the app.

Try search for just chrome next time. Should be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭gripcasey

After review by Paper Rock Scissors I opted for the Neo N003. I received yesterday and am very happy with it. Only fault I could find was , GPS was a bit slow locking on but after doing the fix its working much better.

Trying to find a case that fits it anyone know where to get one, don't realy like the flip one I ordered with it

eBay is the only place I could find one for the G4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Barr

gripcasey wrote: »
    After review by Paper Rock Scissors I opted for the Neo N003. I received yesterday and am very happy with it. Only fault I could find was , GPS was a bit slow locking on but after doing the fix its working much better.

Trying to find a case that fits it anyone know where to get one, don't realy like the flip one I ordered with it

What fix did you dofor the GPS?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement