Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

Lately I've gotten it in my head that I would like a new phone, but have been dismayed at the prices of the high street and the phones on offer, thus I thought I might as well delve into the world of Chinese phones.

Only thing is that I'm completely new and haven't a foggiest as what to look for. My biggest hope is not to spend more than €160 including delivery.

So with that, any opinions?

Worth a punt folks? Modelled on the Samsung Galaxy Note s3.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/121217345299?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Worth a punt folks? Modelled on the Samsung Galaxy Note s3.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/121217345299?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Nah specs too low, 512MB ram etc. Take a look at the one Glenviewjf got HERE Few $$$ more, bigger screen newer CPU.

Tempted to buy it myself, but might hold out for a while and see what new 8 core prices are going to be like next year, and how much cheaper the quad core 2GB ones are going to be if they take off..

T-Bird wrote: »
    Nah specs too low, 512MB ram etc. Take a look at the one Glenviewjf got HERE Few $$$ more, bigger screen newer CPU.

Tempted to buy it myself, but might hold out for a while and see what new 8 core prices are going to be like next year, and how much cheaper the quad core 2GB ones are going to be if they take off..

I was looking at that one and the specs for the actual Samsung Galaxy Note 3. On the Chinese version, it says 8MP camera, upgradable to 13MP with inner program. Is that the same for the Note 3? It also seems like it's hard to find reviews of these phones, so is there anything else I should be aware of apart from sketchy WiFi sometimes? At least I think that's what people on here have said.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

RossieMan wrote: »
    have ordered my neo today, now the wait begins. :D

Is the current ROM decent lads? or would ye recommend looking at some alternatives?
    gonna be a big step up from my current HTC desire, thats for sure.

Were all purchasing neo's from different sources so were probably all gonna be on different ROMs but the one im on is rock solid

Keep in mind lads that if you're buying blatent samsung clones that they are at risk of being confiscated or destroyed by customs

• Advertisement

Has that happened often to people?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Has that happened often to people?

It happened to one or two on here art least.

Oof. Is it worth the risk? What are the customs like in the UK? I was debating using Parcel Motel to get it shipped to Antrim and then to collect it at my pickup point. Though they'd probably get that too?

Ive never ordered any of the samsung clones so its never happened to me

In all the years ive been ordering sat boxes, tablets, phones, media players etc ive never got hit with customs

I always choose snail mail

Maybe ive just been lucky though, who knows

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Oof. Is it worth the risk? What are the customs like in the UK? I was debating using Parcel Motel to get it shipped to Antrim and then to collect it at my pickup point. Though they'd probably get that too?

If there are taxes or duty to be paid parcel motel will reject the delivery.

• Advertisement

Personally i wouldn't order a samsung knockoff

A clone of a note 3 is never gonna perform like a genuine note 3, despite what the chinese sellers say

They may look the same but the hardware inside are worlds apart

Just take a look at the specs

There are much better alternatives IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

It happened to one or two on here art least.

It happened to one guy, but he sent his receipt and link to site to Revenue to show it was a 'replica' not a fake. He paid VAT and then got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Here are some more pics of my Note 3 Clone.

I agree its highly likely if customs do open the package of a copied Samsung it will be destroyed. I was very lucky that I got mine delivered by DHL via the UK and onto a Parcel Motel and wasn't hit with customs.

Not exactly used to reviewing phones but after a good week of playing with it I still have the same views.

Ulefone U9000 Note3 Scale 1:1 MTK6589 Quad Core 5.7" Inch IPS Screen 1G RAM 8G ROM 3G WCDMA Smartphone

Great phone for the money.

Touch response is without a doubt excellent and on par with all the rest of the high end phones.

The colour even though its just 1280 x 720 pixels HD screen.

CPU: MTK6589, Cortex A7 quad core, 1.2GHz;
    GPU: PowerVR SGX 544

ROM: 8GB

RAM: 1GB

Micro Sim

I would happily use it day to day but as I'm a site engineer it would be a bit too big for my pocket walking around and can see it falling out and losing it somewhere. Going to try shift it on and get a phone with 2gb Ram :)

But I'm defiantly more than happy with a Chinese Phone once the specs are right .

More images to come in a post below.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Extra Images that wouldn't fit on original post.

Looks pretty great. So if I weren't to go for a replica/knock-off, then what brands/makes would be good to use? I genuinely don't know anything about it! I'm not sure if I want to take the risk of it being destroyed by customs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I'd prob just buy a Motorola Moto G if I was In your shoes.

Great phone for a great price. Check the thread on here about ordering from Tesco Direct.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,724 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Phone came and currently have a run through it,looks good so far... Delighted to have a decent phone for once.

Phone came and currently have a run through it,looks good so far... Delighted to have a decent phone for once.

dahat wrote: »

What rom/baseband version did they install on it for you?

Any Chinese apps?

Would love to know if you're as happy with the Neo as I am

• Advertisement

Don't use the unofficial Boards.ie Android app. If you are, it's probably the reason your posts are appearing multiple times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Best chinese phone available for about 100-120?

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Interesting101

What rom/baseband version did they install on it for you?

Any Chinese apps?

Would love to know if you're as happy with the Neo as I am

Could you confirm you got it from mixeshop ? and how long delivery took ?

Cheers

Best chinese phone available for about 100-120?

My mum's jiayu G3T cost me €127 all in

I linked to the seller on aliexpress a few posts back

Could you confirm you got it from mixeshop ? and how long delivery took ?

Cheers

I bought mine from Chinapadmall.com but I wouldn't recommend using them because they were terrible to deal with and sent me the wrong colour. It took 7weeks from ordering to receive my phone.

Steer clear of this company

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Interesting101

I bought mine from Chinapadmall.com but I wouldn't recommend using them because they were terrible to deal with and sent me the wrong colour. It took 7weeks from ordering to receive my phone.

Steer clear of this company

Sounds, thanks for that...Think it will have to be Mixeshop so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

I would seriously recommend the turbo models the quad core 1.5ghz are just beauts to use!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭kevez

Has anybody used dealsprime.com to order anything? They seem cheap and have free shipping to Ireland

Never heard of that one mate

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

kevez wrote: »
    Has anybody used dealsprime.com to order anything? They seem cheap and have free shipping to Ireland

Its nearly worth paying a little extra to deal with the trusted chinese sites like hongkonggeek and alieexpress.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement