Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

dahat wrote: »
    Card was bought with the phone so seems i have the same problem, waste of money then.

Ya get rid of the card. Its not worth the hassle for the sake of the price of a new card.

I even reformated my one, it still only lasted a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,771 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Ya get rid of the card. Its not worth the hassle for the sake of the price of a new card.

I even reformated my one, it still only lasted a week.

It has been reformatted already,damn thing. Too good to be true i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

i most probably put it in euros, ah well.

I'm not too sickened, as long as it doesn't take too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

I use a class 10 SD card bought locally and never had any problems with my neo

• Registered Users Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Has anyone any thoughts or experiences of the latest Chinese Flagship models?
    Namely the Zopo zp998, Xiaomi Mi3, ZTE Nubia z5, Goophone N3 and the others I'm missing ;)?
    Of the models listed I'm leaning towards the ZTE as it includes LTE compatability
    and its IGZO screen might be a goer too and hopefully the IGZO screen tech will help the battery life out a bit.
    My current phones are an Xperia z1 and a lumia 820(Both for work so I'm looking for a dedicated ''messing about'' phone really)
    Anyone any opinions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

banie01 wrote: »
    Namely the Zopo zp998, Xiaomi Mi3, ZTE Nubia z5, Goophone N3 and the others I'm missing ;)?
    Of the models listed I'm leaning towards the ZTE as it includes LTE compatability
    and its IGZO screen might be a goer too and hopefully the IGZO screen tech will help the battery life out a bit.
    My current phones are an Xperia z1 and a lumia 820(Both for work so I'm looking for a dedicated ''messing about'' phone really)
    Anyone any opinions?

Are any of these Dual Sim?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

abarkie wrote: »
    Are any of these Dual Sim?

Just the Goophone N3 I think.

I wish I knew more about phones and things like this, but I'm a complete newb. Does anyone know whether this phone would be any good or would I be better looking at others? Also is there a risk that it won't get through customs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Newtown90

I wish I knew more about phones and things like this, but I'm a complete newb. Does anyone know whether this phone would be any good or would I be better looking at others? Also is there a risk that it won't get through customs?

Not really worth it with 512mb ram mate.

Are all Chinese phones likely to be taken by customs or is it just the ones that are ripping off other phones essentially?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Are all Chinese phones likely to be taken by customs or is it just the ones that are ripping off other phones essentially?

Once they aren't essentially a direct copy of a logo / rip off version you are usually fine mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fuerte1976

banie01 wrote: »
    Anyone any opinions?

Howdy,

Where you find the z5 is compatible with LTE (4g) ? Any looking I've done i can't see that. Nice piece tho all the same

Glenviewjf wrote: »
    Once they aren't essentially a direct copy of a logo / rip off version you are usually fine mate.

Does it usually state on the sites whether it is or isn't? I don't really want to unintentionally buy one and risk that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭banie01

fuerte1976 wrote: »
    Howdy,

Where you find the z5 is compatible with LTE (4g) ? Any looking I've done i can't see that. Nice piece tho all the same

GSMarena has it listed as available with LTE as well as on a few other sites.

A silly question, but how do you track your order with mixeshop?

I've not got a tracking number, nor do i know who it was shipped with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭wiz569

You will get one,its very long number,put it in here to track

http://www.sendfromchina.com/track/track/exporting

They will send it as soon as it ships but mine hasn't changed in a few days,but it was near years so hopefully status will change soon

At least that's what works for me using the euexp shipping

Cheers!

Still in China, but at least now i have something to refresh every 5 seconds.

Mine is showing as in Belgium now,ready to post,so hopefully be here early next week :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Someone please buy a goophone and tell me how people react when you tell them the name :D

Someone please buy a goophone and tell me how people react when you tell them the name :D

Don't think I would tell them tbh lol

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Got my jiayu g3s in post yesterday. Noticed it keeps powering itself off, and I have to remove the battery to turn it back on again.

Anyone else have this problem with this particular phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

No mate. Mine is spot on

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭vard

Hi guys, I'd love some advice here

I will soon be moving to the USA and I want to get a good DUAL SIM phone to replace my current (slightly aging) HTC One X. I've read great things about some of the Chinese no-name brands and replica phones; I had been looking at a few 'Star' models and saw that one of their Galaxy Note inspired versions seemed to be receiving very positive reviews on Amazon.

I have a UK and IRISH sim that I will want to use. I will also be looking to get a US number when I arrive, so that's another thing to bear in mind. I don't know much about dual sim devices, so if anyone can advise as to how they work exactly that would be great. I'm aware most options are "Dual Standby" as opposed to "Dual Active", however I'm not entirely sure what that will mean when it comes to every day use. Can both be used / receive calls at the same time (if the other number is not in use)?

I'd like something that at least matches the performance of my current device... however, its battery is pretty poor, so I'd really like to bump it up in that area. I don't see any reason to pay the silly prices that mainstream brands are demanding - plus, I haven't seen many DUAL SIM options from them, so I think Chinese is the way to go. I just need to pick the right device...

Any recommendations / opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

Dual Standby means when call is received on Irish Sim - then UK sim will go to voicemail / be inactive

Dual Active means call waiting will activate and the 2nd sim will be waiting for you to switch calls between the sims

abarkie wrote: »
    Dual Standby means when call is received on Irish Sim - then UK sim will go to voicemail / be inactive

Dual Active means call waiting will activate and the 2nd sim will be waiting for you to switch calls between the sims

Ah, thanks for that. Dual Standby seems good enough for my means as I'll be able to make use of both day to day without having to carry around 2 - 3 phones...

I was looking at some Galaxy note clones. Stumbled upon http://www.amazon.co.uk/STAR-N9599T-Screen-Android-hand-write/dp/B00EXFF94K/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=202OLZTY31F5R&coliid=I15NEK35DAFRIN and http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-7-Star-N9599T-Android-4-2-MTK6589T-Quad-Core-3G-WCDMA-GPS-Smartphone-1G-8G-/111226901362?pt=Cell_Phones&var=&hash=item19e5a3d372 (I think they're a take on the Note2?)

I haven't found any Note 3 clones, so if anyone knows whether there's anything worth looking at there please do let me know.

If there was a dual sim Moto G I'd probably opt for that, seeing how cheap it is...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Kit-Kat custom rom has just been added at needrom for original Jiayu g3 if anyone's interested.

Edit: Its actually 4.2.2 done in Kit-Kat Style.
    Looks very nice though, will try it for a few days see what its like.
    Original thread HERE

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

To the person moving to the US, HTC have a dual SIM One coming soon to the UK and I presume Ireland too. As far as I'm aware they're already available in China. Just in case you wanted to stay with HTC. The One is a great phone, and I say that as someone coming from an X.

http://www.officialhtcstore.com/uk/p_htc_store_product.aspx?i=254234

Active dual, as far as I'm aware.

Thanks for that! I had read that they had one coming out. If I weren't trying to keep a tight budget I'd have definitely gone for that - I'm assuming it's going to cost a fair whack... although, it could be an option if I found a decent upgrade plan.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

Perhaps try sourcing one in east Asia? They've been out there for ages. If you find one let me know, I'd love one too. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement