Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I have a question - I'm considering the Neo N003 advanced. Looks like a super bit of kit for the money. There are only two minor issues I have with it:

1) The screen is too big for my dainty little fingers
    2) The flash looks *god* *awful*

Are there any other phones with a slightly smaller screen but similar spec around the same price?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

Khannie wrote: »
    I have a question - I'm considering the Neo N003 advanced. Looks like a super bit of kit for the money. There are only two minor issues I have with it:

1) The screen is too big for my dainty little fingers
    2) The flash looks *god* *awful*

Are there any other phones with a slightly smaller screen but similar spec around the same price?

The Jiayu G4. Much the same spec but a better size imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

Try the Yiaju G4 Advanced - German Yiaju site - pretty much the same specs but slightly smaller. You can order it from the German site to avoid customs problems and long delivery times.

lol snap :P

Thanks. That looks nice. Pity about the lower resolution, but it's not really an issue.

I found it 20 squids cheaper here (google translate link of Spanish site). Anyone ever heard of / used them?

• Advertisement

The G3S Turbo looks very attractive as well. Good bit cheaper too, though it would require buying an SD card.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

The Neo isn't actually that big i find, a day with it and anything smaller just seems stupid to use.

Its the same with any phone really, once you get used to it you don't notice.

I have a HTC One X at the moment and find it just a tiny bit too big, that's why I'd prefer the smaller screen size tbh. (the screen on my one x is broken, so I'm looking to replace it)

i see, if you're afraid of the large screen that G4 is the same size are your HTC.

Have you had a look at the Moto G thread here? might interest you if you're looking for something cheap and cheerful.

I wouldn't go as far as afraid. :) I just found it awkward with my not enormous hands. Plus, the screen broke just from being in my pocket. The longer screens do break more easily.

I was seriously considering the Moto G alright, but the G3S does look better for similar enough money. People were giving out about the moto g's camera (and to a lesser extent battery life) and I have to say I love the one x's camera so I'd hate to go back to a crappy one.

Suppose that's that really. If the G3S had 2G of RAM, that would be the decision done. Pretty sure I'll go with it anyway.

Thanks for the advice folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Folks

Is the only difference between the Neo N003 Basic & Advanced the 1GB & 2GB of Ram and the difference in internal memory?

Or is there anything else I'm missing?

Thanks

Bull

As far as I can tell yes that is the only difference (I got the Advanced and LOVE it!)

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭BullBauld

morgana wrote: »
    As far as I can tell yes that is the only difference (I got the Advanced and LOVE it!)

Which site did you get it on and how much did it work out at?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

morgana wrote: »
    I was very lucky and got one on ebay - someone in Ireland sold 2 - I got it for 175 euro :) and within 2 days :P. As far as I know they got it from chinapadmall or something.

I think she got it on ebay.

for the extra €40 or that, the Advanced is really worth it. you basically never have to worry about space or running loads of apps again.

Seems to be quite a community of Neo users growing here too, which can only be a good thing when it comes to trouble shooting and that.

Hopefully Cyanogen should be ported soon.

For anyone having trouble with their GPS, this did the trick for me. even inside.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.fastergps

went from not getting a lock for minutes, to get one in about 20 seconds sitting on my couch. :D

RossieMan wrote: »
    For anyone having trouble with their GPS, this did the trick for me. even inside.

went from not getting a lock for minutes, to get one in about 20 seconds sitting on my couch. :D

But is it any use once you start moving ? Can you use the SatNav function and not have it drift all over the place or lose your location?

i'll investigate this later. locking on is a big change than what i used to get.

i'll report back later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

Doesn't seem to have worked for me.

i'll investigate this later. locking on is a big change than what i used to get.

i'll report back later.

Which phone do you have ? Is it a MTK6589 or MTK6589T chip ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Hi Guys,
    looking for something for herself.
    She has been using my old HTC desire up until now but starting to show its age long ago.
    I was looking at thw thl w100s fo 149$ on etotalk.
    whats the craic with roms for it?
    has anyone on here got one?
    would you recommend it?
    thanks
    John

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Theres alot of nice phones out there right now with decent specs but one of the better ones in terms of value seems to be the Inew V3. Its better looking,better camera and screen too

http://www.mixeshop.com/inew-v3-mtk6582-quad-core-50-1280720-ogs-screen-android-42-1gb-16gb-gesture-sensor-gyroscope-sensor-nfc-otg-smartphone_p3004.html

Some good reviews about it online too.
    Also Jiayu have some decent stuff too.

I'm sure the Iocean phones will be coming down in price as soon as the new X8 is released

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭brimal

Agreed, I think Jiayu G5 and iNew V3 are the best quality out there at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭BRYAN Is Ainm Dom

brimal wrote: »
    Agreed, I think Jiayu G5 and iNew V3 are the best quality out there at the moment

Hey folks bit of a tech dummy but I am in China at moment and was planning on getting mother a new phone, she has Sam Gal Ace 2 at moment but its bit knackered now as she has dropped it so many times, she says it is best phone she has ever had, how does iNew V3 compare.

Hey folks bit of a tech dummy but I am in China at moment and was planning on getting mother a new phone, she has Sam Gal Ace 2 at moment but its bit knackered now as she has dropped it so many times, she says it is best phone she has ever had, how does iNew V3 compare.

Well the Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 has a 3.8 inch screen, the iNew V3 has a 5 inch screen.

This would be a significant increase in size, and might be uncomfortable/inconvenient for your mother's hands

Having said that, the iNew V3 is fantastic phone for the price, and is one of the most popular phones in the last month or two (sold out on Mixeshop)

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭webels

The v3 sounds good alright but battery life sounds like a big issue as per xda
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2575465

Yea the battery on the V3 is a real shame.. for a power user it might be a deal-breaker

You can however purchase a second battery, or change to a better ROM (there is a fast growing developer community for the V3)

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭BRYAN Is Ainm Dom

Well the Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 has a 3.8 inch screen, the iNew V3 has a 5 inch screen.

This would be a significant increase in size, and might be uncomfortable/inconvenient for your mother's hands

Having said that, the iNew V3 is fantastic phone for the price, and is one of the most popular phones in the last month or two (sold out on Mixeshop)

Thanks guys for feedback. I will check it out when i have time in next couple days, i have samsung as well so i will know whether if it is to big or not. I know she was having to charge it every day which was pain for her, i usually get 2 days out of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

The Inew V3 looks good for the price.Anyone know what the MTK6582chip is like for GPS?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭seanin4711

I went with the zopo zp700 guppy in red if you don't mind!
    170$ dhl delivered from etotalk.
    Won't get much in bricks and mortar shops on high street around 120€ -130 mark.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement