Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Thargor wrote: »
    I dont use dual sim but read the first page and Bidiots bought it for that feature and says its perfect, seems like an easy swap in the notifications menu from what I can see here with my one simcard.
    Im not bothering with screen protectors on the G3 either, still pristine after 5 days, Im using it normally aswell, stick it in any pocket with anything as long as its not a set of keys, not a hint of any damage yet.

Dam you :D i was all set to wait for the "next gen" of phones but your positiveness about the G3 has me wanting one :)

Current issues of lag, poor camera and podcast volume all seem solved

This is where you got it ??

http://www.merimobiles.com/JIAYU_G3_Dual_core_4_5_inch_IPS_Screen_1280x720_An_p/meri5684.htm

With the G4 out in hopefully a few weeks i might hang on for that, is there an increased risk buying "new" phones from China? as they might have kinks etc that will be ironed out post release

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Wouldn't try this myself (cringe with every tap)

G3 Wall-nut test
    This one is an even more painful watch for me...:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Dazza

Hey Guys.
    I was thinking if there's enough interest I could order a few of the Jiayu G3 in bulk from the factory and maybe get them at a better price?
    I buy from these regularly so theres no bother there. If anyone is interested let me know..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭Justin10

Just curious why did people buy the G3 or G2s instead of a second hand Galaxy S2??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

Dazza wrote: »
    Hey Guys.
    I was thinking if there's enough interest I could order a few of the Jiayu G3 in bulk from the factory and maybe get them at a better price?
    I buy from these regularly so theres no bother there. If anyone is interested let me know..
    If you buy in bulk, you'll more than likely be hit with customs, therefore for the sake of a few dollars cheaper per unit, it would not be worth the risk in my opinion.
    Rochey18 wrote: »
    Just curious why did people buy the G3 or G2s instead of a second hand Galaxy S2??
    I have the G2S and love the size, its not as big as the G3 or the Galaxy and that's what I prefer. Plus there is still a crazy premium price for the Galaxy

eghttp://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/samsung-galaxy-s2-16-gb-black-16395123-pdt.html?srcid=867&cmpid=comp~Google~Phones%2C+Broadband+%26+GPS~16395123&istCompanyId=bec25c7e-cbcd-460d-81d5-a25372d2e3d7&istItemId=qrqllmqx&istBid=t

Although since the rumours of the S4 it has come down in price in some places.

• Advertisement

bidiots wrote: »

I have the G2S and love the size, its not as big as the G3 or the Galaxy and that's what I prefer. Plus there is still a crazy premium price for the Galaxy

eghttp://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/samsung-galaxy-s2-16-gb-black-16395123-pdt.html?srcid=867&cmpid=comp~Google~Phones%2C+Broadband+%26+GPS~16395123&istCompanyId=bec25c7e-cbcd-460d-81d5-a25372d2e3d7&istItemId=qrqllmqx&istBid=t

Although since the rumours of the S4 it has come down in price in some places.

I agree with a new S2 but second hand S2 go for around €200, Just curious, if the G4 is as good as it sounds I will be getting that.

Sure, secondhand its even cheaper. But the G2S cost me about 150, with a better battery, arguably a better screen and is new. It's down to choice I suppose.
    I can't see the G4 been ready with a stable unit for a few months at least, by then it might be worth waiting for the G5:D

Would it really take that long for it to get a stable rom?

Check the time scale of the G3, it was June last year(stand to be corrected) when it finally was available then took a long time to sort out a decent Rom. Although thats not to say this will happen with the next gen phones

• Registered Users Posts: 17,933 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I am completely failin trying to get that Jellybean Beta Rom to update, whenever I try to load the scatter file into Flashtool I get "incorrect scatter file format" even though Im clearly selecting the scatter file that comes with the tools/drivers kit.

If I try to do it the other way with the SD card it just says cant verify in CWM and gives the dead android with the red triangle symbol, has anyone upgraded it successfully here?

Might just wait fol the final build.

• Advertisement

Anyone see the new HTC? Look familiar?:D
    130213_HTCone_0103-660x440.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭T-Bird

I am completely failin trying to get that Jellybean Beta Rom to update, whenever I try to load the scatter file into Flashtool I get "incorrect scatter file format" even though Im clearly selecting the scatter file that comes with the tools/drivers kit.

If I try to do it the other way with the SD card it just says cant verify in CWM and gives the dead android with the red triangle symbol, has anyone upgraded it successfully here?

Might just wait fol the final build.

Had that problem as well, I ended up using a different scatter file. can't remember off hand where I got it from, but I was not happy with the beta and moved to another Rom. the battery life was very poor for a start.

Since then I have a also tried almost every JB Rom on the need Rom site and every once had given read errors in my SD card among other things.

The best custom Rom without any errors is the lewa os 404. But I changed back to the original Rom last night after reading your review.... in short not sure if it's worth bothering lol

edit, please excuse the typing from the Swype, tried to correct the casing at first then have up.

Yeah Im going to try it once more on an XP machine at work tomorrow and if it doesnt work Im perfectly happy with ICS until Jiyau release the final build of JB, ICS with the Apex launcher is perfectly smooth but I still want to try JB because a lot of people on the boards report a boost in the battery to 2-3 days and some people say it drains faster.

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Anyone see the new HTC? Look familiar?
    Have a look at the new blackberry too....

Thargor, have you put any ROM on it yet or is it just a particular update?

Id say XP will work, I got 7 and 8 64 bit here. Post from Techbuddy on needrom might also help. Battery life on any rom to date has not lasted longer than 2 days for me, that includes shutting it down between 00.30 and 07.00 every night.

Just curious how does G2 or G3 run on stock rom.

Really think the G4 is better value. Especially the advanced model

No using the last Jiayu ICS rom that came with the phone, trying to apply the Jiayu JB Beta but its not happening for some reason, trying it now on an XP machine...

My G2S came with Jellybean so I haven't touched it yet. First time I haven't changed ROMs on a phone! It runs really well. There were issues with the early release of the G2S but my phone was from a later batch that has solved the issues. Its very impressive to be fair.

Is the G4 released already? Why is it better value? curious

Haha, success with the Flashtool method, now running Jellybean on the G3, could have been trying it on an XP machine that fixed it, could have been turning off the quickboot feature in settings but I think it was removing any foreign characters from all the filenames before I started that did it, its working perfectly now anyway, will see if I notice any battery boost.

G4 wont be released until March by the way but nobody on the forums seems to believe that, Jiayu always push the dates back and back. the G4 will be a 4.7" screen also btw.

Good to hear. As I said in the OP, playing around with the Jiayu is not a walk in the park by any means. Would be interesting to see if the battery life is as improved as I'm led to believe on other forums....

• Advertisement

G3 stock ICS or the Jellybean Beta couldnt be any smoother imo, a few chinese apps to uninstall and then install a keyboard like swiftkey and its just like the clean Android you get on a Nexus device.

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Total Value of Goods - € 146.79
    Customs Duty - € 0.00
    VAT @ 23% - € 33.76
    An Post Fee - € 6.00
    Total for Collection - € 39.76

"An Post fee"... an extra fee for charging me extra. JFC...
    Just realized I got away without being hit with 40 or 50 quid customs aswell :D

Just realized I got away without being hit with 40 or 50 quid customs aswell :D
    The Customs Duty and the VAT are separate things. Everybody who is nabbed has to pay the VAT, not sure exactly when the Duty applies.

Thargor you seem delighted with the purchase so far

Any bad points?

Couldn't be happier so far, cant thing of a single fault with it really apart from that it takes about 4 hours to charge compared to 2 hours for my last phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

Well that's me convinced. My iphone 3g (that's right folks!) is starting to break down physically and I think I will replace it with the G3. Is there anything I SHOULD order with the phone, as I am inclined to just get the phone alone and look for cards etc elsewhere. Which looks nicer - silver or black. Thinking black.

percy212 wrote: »
    Well that's me convinced. My iphone 3g (that's right folks!) is starting to break down physically and I think I will replace it with the G3. Is there anything I SHOULD order with the phone, as I am inclined to just get the phone alone and look for cards etc elsewhere. Which looks nicer - silver or black. Thinking black.

Me too only bought a G330 two months ago but its annoying me as the volume is too low, think i can get 100 back for that and then trade up to this.

Think an extra battery/cradle is probably worth it but those with experience know best :)

Quality standards do not seem to be as high compared to European standards, there is more chance on getting one with some kind of fault on them.

My GPS has never worked, memory card problems with any JB Rom, battery does not last longer than 2 days, Vodafone does not recognise MMI code, no drivers although there is a workaround (not for Windows 8).

I think that's most of the problems I have experienced so far, but I think it might just be related to my phone only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

Oh, will the G3 not work on the Vodafone network? Thats a problem!

• Advertisement

percy212 wrote: »
    Oh, will the G3 not work on the Vodafone network? Thats a problem!
    Don't know, but my G2 is on Vodafone and I think they have the same bands?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement