Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭wiz569

Looking at a Zopo octo core on etotalk would you def recommend them? Whats the etotalk rom like?

Personally I wouldnt jump on the octo core bandwagon yet m8,

I would imagine as with every new development there will be teething problems,maybe wait a few months till the kinks are ironed out :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

wiz569 wrote: »
    Personally I wouldnt jump on the octo core bandwagon yet m8,

I would imagine as with every new development there will be teething problems,maybe wait a few months till the kinks are ironed out :)

Its only 1GB ram too surely you would need 2GB for octocore.

Its only 1GB ram too surely you would need 2GB for octocore.

Yes I would agree m8,in fact 2GB should be minimum on anything above dual core imho

wiz569 wrote: »
    Yes I would agree m8,in fact 2GB should be minimum on anything above dual core imho

Grand ill stick to my earlier bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Newtown90

That the LG one mick?!

I ordered one :D

• Advertisement

Glenviewjf wrote: »
    That the LG one mick?!

I ordered one :D

Yessssss good man, ive to wait until im paid again. Let me know :)

Yessssss good man, ive to wait until im paid again. Let me know :)

Won't be sent til the 10th anyhow so I have to wait too :S

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭dedaw

All,

Suggestions needed....
    I currently have a scratched S3 phone which I have had to use the speaker to make and receive calls for some time now.

So time for a new phone ...
    Spec wise I'm lost when I see you guys mention rom/stock/firmware/etc....I'm looking for 4/4.5ish inch, good battery, good screen, good cameras, navigation, fast and not cost the earth!! Good memory with option for sd card for vids/pics/etc. Maybe a bit improved on the S3. Would want the phone to be curved rather than straight edges. Maybe colour options? (Not essential)

I assume that all android phones have play store? Would also want text messages to be via the XT9 method rather than qwerty keyboard.

How does customs payments work? Do they ring or email you to tell you how much to pay? Do you pay on line? Sorry for the excessive questions!! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

Can anyone suggest a decent Chinese android phone that has both a front and back camera, decent ability to run applications such as Facebook, Snapchat and Spotify. And doesn't look like a rip off of a mainstream phone? I'd like to spend less than €100 including shipping, even less if possible. And does anyone know a good website to buy Chinese phones off? Preferably one with somewhat quick shipping? A week or 2 is grand, I just don't want to be left waiting 6 months to get a phone I ordered. And would I be likely to be hit with customs charges?

Can anyone suggest a decent Chinese android phone that has both a front and back camera, decent ability to run applications such as Facebook, Snapchat and Spotify. And doesn't look like a rip off of a mainstream phone? I'd like to spend less than €100 including shipping, even less if possible. And does anyone know a good website to buy Chinese phones off? Preferably one with somewhat quick shipping? A week or 2 is grand, I just don't want to be left waiting 6 months to get a phone I ordered. And would I be likely to be hit with customs charges?

For sub 100 euro delivered you won't exactly get a great phone. Chinese Phones are like everything else, you get what you pay for as such. If you save another bit and even get your budget to 150-170 you'll pick up a good phone with decent specs.

Websites to buy off of:
    Good sites to buy a phone off of? If you look through this thread you'll see a lot including myself have bought off a vast range of sites here a few:

http://www.merimobiles.com/

http://mixeshop.com/

http://www.aliexpress.com/activities/cell-phones/

Even Ebay and Amazon have chinese sellers.

Delivery:
    You usually have a choice of delivery when buying. DHL, EMS, EUEXP ( Think this pays customs before??) Hong Kong Post.

I've only ever used DHL and generally gets delivered 4/5 days after dispatch.

Not been hit by customs yet but i think that's just luck of the draw as a lot do get hit.

Background Reading:
    Good forums/sites I find to look at are:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/

http://www.gizbeat.com/

http://www.chinaphonearena.com/forum/index.php

Your Budget:
    For your budget I'd be looking at something like this:

http://www.mixeshop.com/star-n9700-mtk6582-quad-core-50-inch-android-42-1gb-4gb-3g-otg-gps-smartphone_p3405.html

82 euro plus delivery which is:

Post Register Mail €11.40 Total €94.35
    DHL €21.20 Total€104.15
    EUEXP1 €33.01 Total €115.96
    EMS €29.66 Total €112.61
    UPS Rates €32.19 Total €115.14

But i'd still recommend saving up and looking for something with better screen resolution, 2gb ram, etc.

Best of luck!

• Advertisement

But i'd still recommend saving up and looking for something with better screen resolution, 2gb ram, etc.

Best of luck![/quote]

Recommendations for s3 type spec, or bit better? I'm getting a bit bogged down with all the options!

Best of luck![/quote]

Recommendations for s3 type spec, or bit better? I'm getting a bit bogged down with all the options!

Best of luck![/quote]

Best of luck![/quote]

Think you pressed post too many times :p:pac:

It all depends on what your after really. I like good specs, flashy phones and basically a new toy :rolleyes:

Here's what people have been buying over the past few weeks mate,

I got this one myself and tallaghmick is on about buying one too!

http://www.merimobiles.com/lg-optimus-lte-iii-f260s-korean-version-4-7-inch-1-5ghz-msm8960-android-4-1-jelly-bean-sd-card_p/meri8206.htm

Neo03 was another popular one around Xmas here:

http://www.chinapadmall.com/neo-n003-advanced

And the Jiayu's are always fairly well going around here too:

http://www.merimobiles.com/jiayu-g3st-mtk6589t-1-5ghz-4-5-hd-inch-ips-gorilla-glass-screen-android-4-2-1-dual-sim-smartphone_p/meri7839.htm

Best of luck what ever you go for :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭brimal

Lads is Mixeshop the only company that offers the EUEXP shipping (ie: No customs fees)?

brimal wrote: »
    Lads is Mixeshop the only company that offers the EUEXP shipping (ie: No customs fees)?

Its the only one I have seen m8

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

dedaw wrote: »

Best of luck!

Recommendations for s3 type spec, or bit better? I'm getting a bit bogged down with all the options![/quote]

Jiayu g3s is a super phone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

Has anyone bought a Chinese 4G phone yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,771 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Any one care to point me in the direction of a good quality MHL cable that works with the NEO?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

It is probably fully charging, but because the phone is guessing how much power is in the battery, and how fast it is consuming power, after a while is gets a little screwed up and needs to be calibrated. The battery automatically stops charging when it is full to stop overcharging. The phone will also shut down just before the battery is depleted, to leave a little charge left to extend the life of the battery, as fully depleting the battery damages it. Generally, you should not let the battery discharge to less than 15%, but when you have a calibration issue such as yours we can make an exception. So, this time discharge the battery until it powers off (stick on a long YouTube video on full brightness to speed this along), then plug in the phone and charge it without powering it on. Leave it to charge for three to four hours (from the mains, not through a computer). Then you should be sorted, your battery percentage should be more accurate. Over the course of a few years, the battery will not be as capable even if you don't use the phone, so in the long run it a fight we all loose. By the way, if you store a battery, leave it at about 50%. There is a reason the thing is only half charged when it is just out of the box.

Thanks, this did the trick. Battery now charging to 100 % and it lasts for 2 days with little and 1 1/2 days with moderate use!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

I’ve been waiting to buy a phone for ages and not sure how much longer I can hold out.

I was hoping prices might drop with Kitkat being released but this not seem to be happening.

I really like the Lenovo K910 but am finding it hard to justify the price tag.

The cheapest I can find is about €320 on Ali express. This does not include the VAT etc.

Anyone have an opinion on the K910 or even own one?

Is it worth the premium over the likes of the neo003 or G4?

Here is a link to the phone

http://www.etotalk.com/lenovo-k910_p4401.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭squirrelohara

Why is that lenova so expensive??

There is a zopo 998 listed below it with an octa core processor and both cameras are better.

Its 309 dollars on that site.

What am I missing here??

Its got a Qualcomm snapdragon CPU and the Adreno GPU

Thats the kind of specs you get in the more recognised top brands tbh

Not that really means anything to me personally as I'm quite happy with my NEO :)

The qualcomm snapdragon 800 processor is supposed to be excellent especially when it comes to GPS. I need GPS a lot so that’s why I’m considering it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭squirrelohara

There's an ad on my page for a lenovo phone now. Bastards following me around.

There's an ad on my page for a lenovo phone now. Bastards following me around.

Ahh the subtle marketing of Etotalk :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Barr wrote: »
    The qualcomm snapdragon 800 processor is supposed to be excellent especially when it comes to GPS. I need GPS a lot so that’s why I’m considering it.

Take a look at the Nubia Z5s. Same spec as the Lenovo except it's a 5 inch display but comes with 32gb of memory and is about 50 euro cheaper. It's getting great reviews along with the Lenovo. These two are top of my list when I get some money together soon along with the Oppo Find 7 but that's going to run about $600, rumored specs seems amazing though and the sd card is a massive deal breaker for me which these other two lack.

Sorry forgot link...
    http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/ZTE-Nubia-Z5s-quad-core-phones-5-0-inch-FHD-1920x1080-443ppi-Snapdragon-800-2-3GHz/103919_1501694006.html

aaronm13 wrote: »
    Take a look at the Nubia Z5s. Same spec as the Lenovo except it's a 5 inch display but comes with 32gb of memory and is about 50 euro cheaper. It's getting great reviews along with the Lenovo. These two are top of my list when I get some money together soon along with the Oppo Find 7 but that's going to run about $600, rumored specs seems amazing though and the sd card is a massive deal breaker for me which these other two lack.

Sorry forgot link...
    http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/ZTE-Nubia-Z5s-quad-core-phones-5-0-inch-FHD-1920x1080-443ppi-Snapdragon-800-2-3GHz/103919_1501694006.html

I really like the Nubia Z5s as well. Only problem is I need a dual sim for work:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Barr wrote: »
    I really like the Nubia Z5s as well. Only problem is I need a dual sim for work:(

That's a pity. Seems to be the problem with these Chinese phone, a lot of them tick all the right boxes except for one thing, still the reason I'm looking. From what I've seen but could be wrong is that you will struggle to find qualcom phone with dual sims as they all nearly seem to be mediatek, that Lenovo is the first qualcom I remember seeing like that. It's not a feature I need so maybe wasn't taking notice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement