Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭wiz569

Redriddick wrote: »
    Whats the story with tracking on mixeshop??
    I have a load of numbers ending euxp but dont know where to go or how to track the package???
    Any ideas??

Put the number in this link minus the EUEXP bit

http://www.sendfromchina.com/track/track/exporting

Once it moves to Belgium you can then use the same number ion this link

http://www.bpostinternational.com/en/e-shipper/track_and_trace.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Barr wrote: »
    Looks decent apart from the battery. I think 2000mAh is too small for that phone.

Exactly what I was thinking, unless the new processor saves on power.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Feck ill be ordering mine on friday I better check theres no delay.

They got back to me last night, told me the phone is out of stock and offered me a dearer one :D

So should have it next week now!

• Advertisement

Glenviewjf wrote: »
    They got back to me last night, told me the phone is out of stock and offered me a dearer one :D

So should have it next week now!

Which one did they offer? I seen that its out of stock so ill go for the octa core one I posted earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Redriddick wrote: »
    Whats the story with tracking on mixeshop??
    I have a load of numbers ending euxp but dont know where to go or how to track the package???
    Any ideas??

It's the middle number. :) All digits, no letters.

Well I went with the Jiayu G4 advanced in the end. I did up a table of the various features / size / price and so on of the Jiayu phones which I'll stick up here as I think it would be helpful to others. Was going to go with the G5 advanced for size reasons but Jiayu.es said they wouldn't have them until end March and I didn't want to wait. Plus, the extra battery life in the G4 advanced was too good to turn down.

Had a bit of a nightmare with mixeshop. Wont be using them again.

On the phone itself - I absolutely LOVE it. After a few charges I'm getting two solid days use out of it. I know that'll fade, but the replacement original batteries are cheap enough that I'm not concerned. Screen is crisp and bright. Phone is very responsive. The extra RAM makes switching between frequently used apps very fast. Camera is good (I dropped the pictures to 8MP - 13 seems excessive to me) but the flash is a bit middling. Probably the weakest part of the phone for my purposes. Call quality is amazing. Much better than the HTC One X that I'm replacing. Wifi reception seems to be decent. I had heard people saying the GPS was slow. I installed FasterGPS and had a lock to within 3 metres in about 20 seconds.

Overall I'm absolutely delighted with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Khannie wrote: »
    I had heard people saying the GPS was slow. I installed FasterGPS and had a lock to within 3 metres in about 20 seconds.

How does the GPS perform when you start moving ? Have you used it as a SatNav at all yet ?

eamonnq wrote: »
    How does the GPS perform when you start moving ? Have you used it as a SatNav at all yet ?

Not sure tbh. I just fired it up to test the lock time. I'll give it a whirl next time I'm in the car and let you know.

• Advertisement

Khannie wrote: »
    Not sure tbh. I just fired it up to test the lock time. I'll give it a whirl next time I'm in the car and let you know.

I thought that the MTK6589T chip performed better for use as a SatNav, so would have thought it should have been fine even without the FasterGps app.

GPS Test App is good for checking also.

I thought that the MTK6589T chip performed better for use as a SatNav, so would have thought it should have been fine even without the FasterGps app.

GPS Test App is good for checking also.

From what I understand anything with the MTK6589 and MTK6589T suffers from poor GPS.

The latest MT6592 chip seems to have resolved the issue though.

From what I understand anything with the MTK6589 and MTK6589T suffers from poor GPS.

The latest MT6592 chip seems to have resolved the issue though.

I have had a few phones and any with the MTK6589T chip appeared to work very well on the GPS end, and any with the non-T version did not, but then I came across a Lenovo A830 (MTK6589) on adverts, I reflashed it with a custom rom, and the GPS appears to be fine on that also.

I have had a few phones and any with the MTK6589T chip appeared to work very well on the GPS end, and any with the non-T version did not, but then I came across a Lenovo A830 (MTK6589) on adverts, I reflashed it with a custom rom, and the GPS appears to be fine on that also.

My GPS on my Jiayu G3ST is perfect.

I've come across it from reviews of phones and they allude to an issue with the GPS and the MTK chip. Also just googling "MTK6589T GPS" bring out various fixes etc.

I've come across it from reviews of phones and they allude to an issue with the GPS and the MTK chip. Also just googling "MTK6589T GPS" bring out various fixes etc.

I have seen a lot of that and the first MTK6589 phone I bought had a problem, but I have had a few MTK6589T phones through my hands with no GPS issues (THL W200S, MLais MX58PRO, and a few others).

Any of the MTK6589 phones that I had did have had the problem though, and I was quite suprised when the A830 worked well on the GPS front, as I had picked it up cheap on adverts and was planning on using a Bluetooth GPS antenna with it when required but I have had no need to do that with it.

I have seen a lot of that and the first MTK6589 phone I bought had a problem, but I have had a few MTK6589T phones through my hands with no GPS issues (THL W200S, MLais MX58PRO, and a few others).

Any of the MTK6589 phones that I had did have had the problem though, and I was quite suprised when the A830 worked well on the GPS front, as I had picked it up cheap on adverts and was planning on using a Bluetooth GPS antenna with it when required but I have had no need to do that with it.

Its good to hear from someone who has hands on experience. The Lenovo P780 was a phone I really wanted but was putting it off till the newer chip was launched. Maybe the GPS issues are not that bad after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Can you remember how much that LG was please Mick? They dont display the price when its sold out.

Thargor wrote: »
    Can you remember how much that LG was please Mick? They dont display the price when its sold out.

180 I think before delivery.

lads whos the seller that has delivery in the price?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Not bad at all, Ill wait for something better at this stage though.

Thargor wrote: »
    Not bad at all, Ill wait for something better at this stage though.

TBH I dont think they will restock it.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭golfdiva

What is the story with Kitkat on these phones - will it be out shortly?

Should you be able to upgrade if you have an existing phone with jelly bean etc ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Unless a phone comes with KitKat already installed or has company/ROM support you likely won't see KitKat for a good while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

Was a tried and tested way of improving the GPS for the MTK chipset revealed on here?

pajor wrote: »
    Was a tried and tested way of improving the GPS for the MTK chipset revealed on here?

No, I tried and tested lots of the 'fixes' for MTK6589 chip phones and none worked. Best thing to do is get a Bluetooth GPS receiver if you want to use it as a satnav in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

No, I tried and tested lots of the 'fixes' for MTK6589 chip phones and none worked. Best thing to do is get a Bluetooth GPS receiver if you want to use it as a satnav in the car.

Right, thanks. I've tried two in the last couple of days and neither of them have worked!

pajor wrote: »
    Right, thanks. I've tried two in the last couple of days and neither of them have worked!

Some of them might help you get an initial fix quicker, but once you start moving you constantly lose your position, so the phone does not know where you are or what direction you are travelling, so as you approach a roundabout for instance it might think you are approaching any entrance or leaving any exit, so you could get a glut of different instructions as to how to proceed, funny at times (once you know where you are going),but would not like to be relying on it when you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭golfdiva

Unless a phone comes with KitKat already installed or has company/ROM support you likely won't see KitKat for a good while.

Thanks for that :) Do you know if you can upgrade to it from an early version of android?

• Advertisement

What phone are you talking about ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement