Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Direct Debit Incorrectly Claimed

Options
  • 09-01-2013 9:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭

Hello,

Would a member of BOI / Boards be able to look at this other thread of mine and let me know if they can help with the €12.70 fee reversal.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=82601632#post82601632

I can supply all security info needed via PM. Just wanted to see if I should be chasing ESB or BOI for the fee reversal. As I wasn't at fault, yet was charged a fee for getting an incorrectly applied Electric Ireland Direct Debit refunded to my BOI account.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Linda

Hi LifeBeginsAt40,

The €12.70 is a valid charge as you requested the bank to unpay a direct debit. You could speak to Electric Ireland about them presenting for the amount that was previously paid. Just to note, once in the lifetime of a direct debit with a particular company, you can request a one time payment stop. This needs to be requested through your branch before the direct debit is taken.

Thanks
    Linda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭LifeBeginsAt40

Hi LifeBeginsAt40,

The €12.70 is a valid charge as you requested the bank to unpay a direct debit. You could speak to Electric Ireland about them presenting for the amount that was previously paid. Just to note, once in the lifetime of a direct debit with a particular company, you can request a one time payment stop. This needs to be requested through your branch before the direct debit is taken.

Thanks
    Linda

I have spoken to ESB and they have agreed to refund the charge. Unfortunately they are crediting my ESB account and not my BOI account, so I am still overdrawn as was not expecting the €12.70 charge when balancing my account.

Not very impressed really as refunding my ESB account does not place my BOI back in good standing.

Hi LifeBeginsAt40,

Glad to hear that Electric Ireland are refunding the charge. Apologies about the issue you have encountered. Hopefully there will be no issues going forward.

Thanks
    Linda

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Legislator

Hi LifeBeginsAt40,

Thanks
    Linda
    Linda,
    Your comment that a can 'once in a lifetime of a direct debit you can request a one time stop payment' is misleading. A payer can at any time instruct their bank to refuse a direct debit. This consumer right is enshrined in legislation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭LifeBeginsAt40

Hi LifeBeginsAt40,

Glad to hear that Electric Ireland are refunding the charge. Apologies about the issue you have encountered. Hopefully there will be no issues going forward.

Thanks
    Linda

Thanks and hopefully "case" closed on this problem.

• Advertisement

Hi Legislator,

Apologies that my above answer appeared misleading. You are correct that you can request a refusal of a direct debit at anytime. I was advising in this particular customer's instance that if the same situation happened again, he could request a one time payment stop.

Apologies again.
    Thanks
    Linda

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Legislator

Hi Legislator,

Apologies that my above answer appeared misleading. You are correct that you can request a refusal of a direct debit at anytime. I was advising in this particular customer's instance that if the same situation happened again, he could request a one time payment stop.

Apologies again.
    Thanks
    Linda
    Hi Linda,
    I am not sure that the DD Scheme Rules allow for a 'stop' payment of a DD.

Hi Legislator,

You are correct that it is not covered in the DD Scheme Rules but Bank of Ireland must comply with a number of regulations, for example the Payment Services Directive.

Thank you for posting.
    Linda

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭The Voice of reason

Legislator wrote: »
    Linda,
    Your comment that a can 'once in a lifetime of a direct debit you can request a one time stop payment' is misleading. A payer can at any time instruct their bank to refuse a direct debit. This consumer right is enshrined in legislation.
    It's not that misleading though is it? It's a difference between a once off stop, i.e next presentation carries on as normal, and a cancellation

Advertisement