Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mossy Grass

Options
  • 09-01-2013 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I've a garden that is 80% moss, I threw down some moss killer in a small area last summer when we first moved in to see what how it would take, the "grass" went black and a few shoots of fresh grass came up.

I don't think that it would work/be practical to try do the whole garden this way.

I was thinking of rotovating the whole garden and reseeding it but am afraid that the moss will just grow back?

Can anyone give me some advice on how/when to go about it, or any other suggestions?

Cheers,

Dan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭The Garden Shop

Hi Dan
    Yes, Its likely that the moss will grow back

Moss grows on damp soil and if your soil is not draining properly it will come back within a year or two.

There are two ways to solve your problem:
    1st work with what you've got: this invloves moss killer, rake off moss, aerate with aerator or garden fork (to improve drainage), level and re sow.

2nd option is to start over:
    Spray to kill perennial weeds, rotavate to depth of 1ft adding 1 ton of horticultural grit sand per 8M2 and level and re sow.

Either way the moss will grow back if the lawn isn't aerated every two years.

Every lawn has moss the question is how much are you willing to put up with. Option 2 is a bit extreme (requiring a lot of sand) but will give the best results. Option 1 is just a short term solution to your problem.

Good luck.
    and best leaving any work until your soil is as dry as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Sounds like you applied too much of the moss killer. A good maintenance programe is the key to a healthy lawn. Autumn - moss killer or lawn sand then scarify then aerate and then top dress (maybe add autumn lawn seed if the grass is sparce). Maybe a little more maintenance in the Spring. Feed a couple of times between April and July and keep it cut regularly.

This book explains everything to need to know ...
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/0903505487/ref=sr_1_1_up_1_main_olp?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1357827770&sr=1-1&condition=used
    1p plus delivery for a 2nd hand copy

There's no magic bullet unfortunately, you have to put the work in. I take care of my lawn but it's been such a damp year I still have moss, what ya gonna do

Advertisement