Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

deduction form wages because of till shortages???

Options
  • 09-01-2013 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all
    my till was down over 100e i certainly didnt take it but my boss said i must pay it back its easily proved i didnt take it, and i also followed all till procedures and policies in place so can he still take the money from my salary.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Look at your contract and you clearly did not follow the procedures if your till was down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Nody wrote: »
    Look at your contract and you clearly did not follow the procedures if your till was down.

How do you know? Someone else may have had access to the OPs till. You don't know the relevant information to make such a statement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

Don't all non tax deductions from wages have to have written consent from the employer?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

seanmacc wrote: »
    Don't all non tax deductions from wages have to have written consent from the employer?

not quite - the employer has to provide written notice. If a provision for this exists in the contract, then the employee already agreed to this practice and therefore does not need to provide further acceptance of the deduction.
    Where your employer suffers loss through your fault, for example breakages or till shortages or your employer supplies a service as part of the job, for example, a uniform, deductions may be allowed. In these cases a deduction (or payment by the employee) is only allowed where:
    • It is allowed for in your contract
    • It is fair and reasonable
    • You have received a written notice of the deduction - a full week's notice if the deduction arises from your mistake
    • The amount of the deduction does not exceed the loss or cost of the service
    • The deduction takes place within 6 months of the loss/cost occurring
    Failure to pay all or part of the wages due to an employee is considered an unlawful deduction and a complaint can be made under the Payment of Wages Act – see ‘How to apply’ below. Likewise, unpaid notice, holiday pay, bonus and commission payments can also form part of a claim under the Act.

but what is 'fair and reasonable' to me, might not be to another person. Also it expressly says if it was due to fault on the part of the employee, so I would imagine you can argue for them to provide fair and reasonable proof that you were at fault. If there is any possibility that it might have been someone else, then you might have a case to argue against it.

I'm sure OP didn't take the money, but it is very easy to ring in €100 instead of €10, or €103 instead of €1.03, so it may be due to human error, which is understandable, but technically still your fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

OP, I would say as someone mentioned check your contract first. On the other hand, if it was your till you would have the responsibility for the cash in there. If you know who took the money and can prove it than do so otherwise I'm afraid you will have to learn from this occasion.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

How do you know? Someone else may have had access to the OPs till. You don't know the relevant information to make such a statement
    Because the basic of any till procedure (as shown by the above requested for deduction) is that you are responsible for your till and you'd be hardpressed to ask for a deduction of salary if it was not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

OP are only you allowed to use your till? Do you check it before you start using it and are you part of the cashing it up at the end?

Has an investigation been done to find out where the €100 went?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Nody wrote: »
    Because the basic of any till procedure (as shown by the above requested for deduction) is that you are responsible for your till and you'd be hardpressed to ask for a deduction of salary if it was not.

ah well you see, I agree with you in theory, but in order for what you say above to be correct, you have to assume that the company OP works for has a proper set of procedures, has issued a proper written contract and conditions of employment and follows the procedures set out therein. But as you and I well know, many smaller mom & pop type stores or even larger ones who employ younger, less experienced and world wise staff, have a tendency to ignore these requirements. And despite not having the proper set up in place, some employers will still have the neck to insist on their rights whilst ignoring yours - such as insisting on the deduction.

I get your logic, but it relies upon the assumption that the OP's boss runs their business the way you or I would :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

OP how does your till work?

Do you have to log in and out of it? Is there a record kept of all the transactions done on it?

You could have possibly keyed in something wrong (mistakes happen afterall).

See if there's any way if you can check the record on your till from when you were logged in on the day in question. If any glaring errors pop up that could explain the balance being off.

Also see if there was any CCTV footage that could prove that you didn't pocket the 100 or give somebody an extra 100 in change?

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

What if the till was up €500?

Would it be added to the salary? I doubt it somehow

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

whatnext wrote: »
    What if the till was up €500?

Would it be added to the salary? I doubt it somehow

Ups are worse than downs - any retail manager with half a brain-cell can workout where a down came from - ups are very difficult to find. It usually means you've short changed a customer who will be unlikely to shop with you again so you've actually caused a loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭tony81

I used to work with an idiot who would jump on our til and without failure make mistakes causing the till to be under (usually she'd ring the same thing in twice in error)

Another time my till was under by €200 due to a system error.

If your employer can prove that no one else used your till not even for a second, you prepared your own float, you counted your own till while being supervised by the employer, takings are approx €100 down compared with previous days, there are no glaring errors on the till receipt roll (which should highlight all transactions and change given), then I see no reason why you shouldn't be responsible for the error.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

tony81 wrote: »
    I used to work with an idiot who would jump on our til and without failure make mistakes causing the till to be under (usually she'd ring the same thing in twice in error)

Another time my till was under by €200 due to a system error.

If your employer can prove that no one else used your till not even for a second, you prepared your own float, you counted your own till while being supervised by the employer, takings are approx €100 down compared with previous days, there are no glaring errors on the till receipt roll (which should highlight all transactions and change given), then I see no reason why you shouldn't be responsible for the error.

And that you double checked all change given and cash taken from the till.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

cog13 wrote: »
    Hi all
    my till was down over 100e i certainly didnt take it but my boss said i must pay it back its easily proved i didnt take it, and i also followed all till procedures and policies in place so can he still take the money from my salary.

Did you check the till at finish time in front of the boss, there are also underhanded people in management who cannot be trusted. White collar crime in Ireland does exist, however unfortunately is also ignored.

Advertisement