Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving away from home

• 09-01-2013 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭

Hi just wondering what do people do when they are moving away from home and going to college.. I mean when going to a college that you don't know anybody else at all and where do you stay and who with?

I really want to go to other colleges instead of ul which is driving distance from my home but I don't know anyone else going and am wondering how do you sort out accommodation

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭BrownBear11

Campus is always a good shout for first years :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,237 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Most colleges have some form of organised student accommodation where first year students pay to stay. These would be slightly above the going rate, but often have inclusive bills, or an electricity allowance and sometimes have on-site security.
    By second year people have made new friends and usually get somewhere with their friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

That was me 3 years ago and student accomodation is your answer. Whatever college you go to will advise on booking it.And in first year join as many clubs and societies as you want , you won't like them all but you will make friends.
    Actually happens I go to UL:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭dewsbury

Don't rule our your local university... It cost several thousand each year to live away from home ... and often students just commute home every weekend ...

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ShatterResistant

Also, join lots of societies and clubs, they're supposed to be some craic and they're great to meet people! If that fails just set your own one up :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Hi, I went to UL. I had never been in Limerick before and so knew absolutely no-one.
    I was lucky and got a last minute place on campus, and it's perfect.
    Most people in this accommodation don't know each other and so are randomly assigned.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

Ok thanks so you go to student accommodation and are put with different people? :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,237 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Ok thanks so you go to student accommodation and are put with different people? :)
    Yes, unless you know someone in advance and apply together.

Advertisement