Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy scared to go out

• 10-01-2013 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭

I got a JR pup 10 days ago. He is 12 weeks old and a very good dog. He's responding very well to training ie sit, fetch etc. He is currently using puppy mats inside as its too cold out. I walk him in the morning and evening about 10 mins each time adding a few more minutes each day as he is tiny. He's getting quite good on the lead but is terrified of everything, noises, other dogs barking in the distance and cars. Im trying not to pick him up just reasure him, praise and walk on but he just turns and wants to go home. Also he wont go to the toilet outside ever even on a walk. He was at the vets the other day for his last injection and we called to friends. We were out for 2 hrs and I knew he needed to go. Tried encouraging him and waiting without looking at him but he held on. When we got home he ran to the mat and went. How do I get him to relax outside and teach him its ok to do his business outside. Am I expecting too much at 12 weeks?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

I would actually wonder if he held on because he knows that the mat is where he feels he's supposed to do it. I think you need to start bringing him out because he's going to have to learn to do his business outside, whatever the weather.

He may only be twelve weeks but if you start getting him used to it now, he'll pick up what you're teaching.

Perhaps there might be somewhere along your walking route that you can stop and sit and get him used to the surroundings for a few minutes before you continue. He can be sniffing the air and hearing everything and he'll (hopefully) get more desensitized to the great outdoors.

When we got our rescue dog over four years ago, it took about two months for her to realise she could do her business in the garden. Despite being brought out umpteen times during the day, she would only pee and poop on a walk. And then one day I brought her out to the garden and she peed. You'd think we'd won the lottery the amount of cheering that was in the house afterwards. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

maybe feed first and then immediately out to garden thats when they usually need the toilet or try bringing mat out as well just to prove its ok to go outside as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Do you have any friends with calm dogs? If so ask them to come for a couple of walks with you. Being with a confident dogs should show yours that there's nothing to worry about. And if the other dogs pees outside your pup could learn to copy that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

I think training him to go on the mat is just confusing the poor thing. I'd get rid of that immediately and go back to basics with him, bring him out first thing in the morning, directly after food and so forth and let him associate being outside with makng his toilet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jsabina

It's funny because my 14 weeks old puppy goes only in HIS garden!
    We go out for walks he does everything playing, sniffing, running but he waits to go home in the backyard to pee!!
    Even if we stay 1 hour out!

He just peed out a couple of times because we were really out for one entire morning or afternoon..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

My dog used to wait until he was home to pee/poo when he was a baby but after a while started going outside. First he only poo'd outside and it wasn't until he was a few months older that he starting weeing outside too lol. OP it's normal for your puppy to be afraid of stuff like this but I can't stress enough how important it is to expose it to as many different sights/sounds/situations as possible over the next 4 weeks so it doesn't grow up with fears. There's loads of training resources online where you get a big checklist of different thing to expose the pup to.

EG:
    http://pawsitivedawgs.wordpress.com/syp-month/

http://www.petprofessionalguild.com/Resources/Documents/PPG-Client-Puppy-Socialization-Download.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Assassin saphir

Thank you all for your advice. Ive been bringing him everywhere with me so hopefully he'll become less scared in the next few weeks. He is not scared of strangers or children as everyone stops to pet him.
    He is sleeping inside at night so I will continue with the mats in case he has an accident. I bring him out before bed, during the night and at 6 am but so far nothing.
    I dont know anyone near me with a dog as only moved in recently so cant walk him with another dog. Hopefully on our walks we will get to know someone with a friendly dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Bid08

I would take the mat away immediately, he relates going toilet to the mat only, he may have a few accidents in the hse but will soon learn if brought outside regular during the day / evening that is where he needs to go toilet. we got 2 of our pups at 8 weeks and never used mats, it was outside from day one for toilet

Advertisement