Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Capitol Grand Parade??

Options
  • 10-01-2013 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭

The Capitol cinema, closed for quite a while now on Grand Parade, are there any plans to do anything with it? Just wondering partly out of boredom and as I walk past it after school every day. Bit of a random question I know :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

bleach94 wrote: »
    The Capitol cinema, closed for quite a while now on Grand Parade, are there any plans to do anything with it? Just wondering partly out of boredom and as I walk past it after school every day. Bit of a random question I know :P

Planning for a new mall was granted in 07.
    Probably no money to start building in short to medium term.
    A shame to leave a building idol.
    The Grand parade hotel and the bearish site are also idol. It's a shame the that they are aloud stay empty. Prime real estate should be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

The plan was for a shopping centre with a few other surrounding buildings (the closed post office for instance).

The new shopping centre would tie in with the English market to make one big complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Michael..

Thank god that development didn't go ahead.

I remember seeing a digital render of the purposed building in The Examiner - It looked absolutely woeful. It was covered with that cheap plastic cladding, the same stuff that the Elysian is destroyed in - truly shocking design.

I would rather it lie idle for a couple more years than have crap building of poor architectural merit.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭scuby

saw something in paper last week about council thinking of trying to get the capitol and extend the english market into it as one big complex and to keep as a food/cafe style.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Was in town yesterday morning and the number of vacant shops is scarey. After spending all of that money doing up Patrick st a few years ago the council have done themselves no favours by keeping rents so high and increasing parking charges all over the place.
    Out of town are all free parking and until this changes then the city center is going to struggle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

And seeing shops like "The Wacky Hat Store" on our main street is a bit cringey.

Town is a pain in the ass from every point of view. The likes of Wilton, Douglas Court and Mahon are just so more convenient and easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,025 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

gimmick wrote: »
    And seeing shops like "The Wacky Hat Store" on our main street is a bit cringey.

Town is a pain in the ass from every point of view. The likes of Wilton, Douglas Court and Mahon are just so more convenient and easy.

A bit pointless you cringing about the quality of the shops in town while driving to Wilton, Douglas or Mahon. The city centre will only improve if people actually shop there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

And the reason people wont go to the city centre is horrific traffic and rip off parking if you an find a spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭MikeCork2009

Was in town yesterday morning and the number of vacant shops is scarey. After spending all of that money doing up Patrick st a few years ago the council have done themselves no favours by keeping rents so high and increasing parking charges all over the place.
    Out of town are all free parking and until this changes then the city center is going to struggle.

Unfortunately it looks like HMV could be next on the list :-(

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/9801487/HMV-expected-to-call-in-administrators-within-hours.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

A bit pointless you cringing about the quality of the shops in town while driving to Wilton, Douglas or Mahon. The city centre will only improve if people actually shop there.

fixed that for you;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Yeah, between the empty shops and all the cheap "pop up" shops around, it's a bit grim; but it's the same and worse in many smaller towns around the country.

Still, if there's one small upside to this recession, it's the number of huge, ugly developments planning for the city centre which won't see the light of day. The planned Capitol redevelopment was typical of these.

Advertisement