Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Extended Insurance driving abroad

Options
  • 10-01-2013 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Recently I have been going around all the car insurance companies I know and not one will offer cover to drive a car in Europe for more then 90days. In 2006 I was with FBD insurance and had no problem and even up until June 2012 was told by them would be no problem again.
    Start of December I start looking around and things have changed.

I am working for 6months on the continent and need transport. Has anyone come across this issue and been able to solve it. I have been given a few sites but all UK based and only cover UK cars.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Bobh2011 wrote: »
    Recently I have been going around all the car insurance companies I know and not one will offer cover to drive a car in Europe for more then 90days. In 2006 I was with FBD insurance and had no problem and even up until June 2012 was told by them would be no problem again.
    Start of December I start looking around and things have changed.

I am working for 6months on the continent and need transport. Has anyone come across this issue and been able to solve it. I have been given a few sites but all UK based and only cover UK cars.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Can you ask your company that you are working for to assist you?

For that amount of time I think you need a policy in the country you are working in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭ThreeLineWhip

They must cover 3rd party risks throughout the EU for the full duration of the policy.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

They must cover 3rd party risks throughout the EU for the full duration of the policy.

Ah that's me coming at it from the fully comprehensive side of it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭ThreeLineWhip

Indeed. They could completely stop cover for fully comp the second you got on the ferry.

As regards the 3rd party cover, once they realise you are out of the state for an extended period they will most likely cancel the policy, leaving you with no way of driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Indeed. They could completely stop cover for fully comp the second you got on the ferry.

As regards the 3rd party cover, once they realise you are out of the state for an extended period they will most likely cancel the policy, leaving you with no way of driving.

Being out of the state for 6 months is not an extended period, and this doesn't even necesserily make someone non-resident in Ireland.

Only when you are away for more than half a year in any year, you are automatically considered resident in that country. And this might still not be the case if you only work there (have occupational ties there) but you have private ties in Ireland (f.e. family) and you keep on returning to Ireland regularly.

In general probably no Irish insurer will insure someone who is not resident in Ireland (which IMO is crap as Irish registered car abroad must be insured by Irish insurer as virtually no foreign insurers will insure Irish registered car), but in OP's case how will insurer know that OP is away of the country?
    Provided he is not changing his residence, there is no need to inform his insurer about anything. His third party cover is still valid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

CiniO wrote: »
    In general probably no Irish insurer will insure someone who is not resident in Ireland (which IMO is crap as Irish registered car abroad must be insured by Irish insurer as virtually no foreign insurers will insure Irish registered car)

Its not really crap when you consider an Irish insurer most likely has no real idea of the risks that they are undertaking by offering fully comp insurance to someone who will reside primarily outside of the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Bobh2011

The company has offered a rental car for a month but the rest of the period is up to me. The work is only for a 6 month period as yes then I would have to become a resident.

FBD my previous insurer that I used in 2006 said to me in June 2012 as long as my primary residence is in Ireland their should be no problem in insuring the car while abroad for up to the duration of the policy and that when the policy is started that myself and the vehicle are in Ireland.
    December the story changed dramatically to 2 weeks.

I have seen their is a possibility but so far only as a uk resident so why can't their be also for Irish residents.

Advertisement