Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who do you bank with and why?

• 10-01-2013 12:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭

Hi All

I dont mean to probe but just wondering who you bank with and what are the benefits?
    Im currently with BNZ (going on three years) and have been thinking about a car loan with them. I used the calculator thingy and got some figures.
    I did a comparison with ASB and they were way cheaper, like a few hundy over the term!! I think the interest rate was like 4% less:eek:

Got me thinking. Have I been banking with the wrong bank the last three years? I went with them initially because I could fill in form to open the account in Ireland, transfer the cash before i left and then sign a form when i get there and bam, done! Account sorted.
    I have never had a problem with them and love the open friendly feel in the branches.

So without giving away how many millions you have stored, who do you recommend?

Thanks
    Munky

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Asb. Even on a one year WHV they gave me a credit card. Their online banking is awesome...have some neat features like save the change etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,525 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

TSB because it was a condition of the mortgage. before that ANZ, it was between ANZ and TSB after doing some research when first moving and ANZ made it easier to setup from abroad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

FearDark wrote: »
    Asb. Even on a one year WHV they gave me a credit card. Their online banking is awesome...have some neat features like save the change etc.

I saw the save the change thing and I think its a great idea!! I would normally have a change jar at but with eftpos being so widely accepted (for any amount) I rarely carry cash!!

Ive not looked into ANZ yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭20260622

ANZ because I banked with them when we were in Oz, Visa First set the account up for us from Ireland. Never really bothered looking around at the other banks because I don't want a credit card so it's really just for everyday banking and the online banking is pretty straight forward.

Also have an account with Rabo Bank for savings, had/have an account with them back in Ireland so I stuck to what I knew I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

Rabo Direct for savings (nearly always the best rates) and Kiwibank for day to day stuff. Used to be ANZ/National but I like the idea of my money staying in NZ and not seeing the billion dollar profits of the big ozzie banks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

ASB ftw. They gave us by far the best rate on our mortgage and the service is brilliant. Also lots of little extras like a free tablet and free holiday insurance. They've also got a high security rating. We changed from BNZ and haven't looked back.

Don't touch kiwibank with a 10ft pole. Had to deal with them for work and they're a bunch of incompetent postmistresses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

Cheers for all the replies. ASB is looking like it could be my new bank. Weekend opening aswell which is nice, being a 9 to 5er

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Yeah I was with ANZ previously because thats who i was with in OZ but I couldnt get a visa debit off them because of my WHV status and so I went looking elsewhere.
    I went with ASB and havent looked back tbh, definitely head and shoulders above the rest as far as Im concerned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Pippy1976

I banked with BNZ whilst in NZ. Now that I'm back I still use them for savings etc. I find their online service really good. They're excellent at dealing with queries quickly.

I was with National when I got to NZ in the beginning. Found them very antiquated - very old school which became difficult to deal with in the end. Withdrew everything, gave them a piece of my mind and never looked back. I wouldn't recommend them. Very provincial.

Advertisement