Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BSOD(need help finding a solution+dump files) seems to be ATI drivers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

As you can see from the comments on that thread, what he's doing makes no sense; he's deleting a file and expanding the exact same file back in its place. I can't see that solving anything.

Have you updated your graphics drivers to the latest version (CCC 12.10)?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭MrECameraman

What does the stack trace look like when you open the dump?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Br4tPr1nc3

have you tried removing your ram and graphics card and putting them back in again.

I just noticed they're minidumps. You should set your system up to dump out at least kernel level dumps...

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭SOLID_SNAKE!

Thanks for the replies.

This is a new PC, so I installed CCC+drivers in the last two weeks(I am not sure which version I have), I have yet to touch the hardware since the problem arose, but I did have to swap and reseat the ram to get a POST when I got it, How does one "set your system up to dump out at least kernel level dumps." pray tell?.

I have been trying to recreate the problem today and yesterday, it hasn't BSOD'd since sunday night as far as I can remember, so I am using it normally to see if it triggers again.

• Advertisement

Assuming this is windows 7, go to start and right click on computer, and hit properties (or windows + pause). Go to advanced system settings and under the advanced tab, click on the startup and recovery button. Under the system failure section, make sure write debugging information is set to kernel memory dump (or ideally complete memory dump if you have the space on disk to accommodate the dump file, which will be a little over the size of your total RAM)

hth

Assuming this is windows 7, go to start and right click on computer, and hit properties (or windows + pause). Go to advanced system settings and under the advanced tab, click on the startup and recovery button. Under the system failure section, make sure write debugging information is set to kernel memory dump (or ideally complete memory dump if you have the space on disk to accommodate the dump file, which will be a little over the size of your total RAM)

hth
    is is set to kernal dump

Interesting, the page above had said mini dump

they are in the minidump folder, and I was playing a game a minute ago ad was getting a harsh buzzing form all the sounds on the pc, like the one right before BSOD, is it nearing BSOD?, because my net died to and I was playing with a friend and on skype(bandwidth whore) at the same time.

I have the three dump files uploaded if you need to look at them, those dump reports are from bluescreenview(software for viewing dmp files)

• Advertisement

Highly unlikely a network bottleneck would cause a kernel panic. You'll only get that from something that lives in kernel space, and everything you're describing is in user space. You don't use an iSCSI target or anything, do you?

Highly unlikely a network bottleneck would cause a kernel panic. You'll only get that from something that lives in kernel space, and everything you're describing is in user space. You don't use an iSCSI target or anything, do you?
    not sure what that means

I assume you mean the iSCSI target? More info here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISCSI - but take that if you don't know what it is, it's very very unlikely you're using it :) The horribly over-simplified answer is it lets you use a disk somewhere else on your network as if it were attached to your computer. Again, terribly over simplified

In terms of the other stuff, a kernel panic is a blue screen. In terms of kernel & user space, there's some very basic info here - http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5957570/kernel-space-vs-user-space

I think the stuttering were due to a net failure, when in game it stopped when the co-op partner left, and all things returned to single player, no I am certainly not using iscsi, I still am trying to get the BSOD to pop up, so that I can get another dmp file.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Br4tPr1nc3

download hw monitor,
    start it before you play your game,
    and check see what temperatures your components get to while playing.

That's the thing now, I hasen't BSOD'd since, CCC bug wouldn't of just fixed itself, I use it regularly too and game often for long periods

EDIT:I have the HIS Iturbo software installed, all systems nominal, never reaches above 40c, usually in the mid 20's or 30's if it's a newer game like SR3 or JC2.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I'd stress test the GPU for 2hrs with Furmark just in case.

"Good" news everyone!, the problem reared its ugly head again, same error codes and all, right in the middle of a 2 hour session of Far Cry 3 without saving(sure when else would it happen?).

I got some advice off of someone saying they had the same error, corrupted CCC files, hes had to reinstall CCC and then when that wouldn't work he had to reinstall Windows(Oh joy!).

What do?

EDIT: If it helps the this is where I get the drivers for my GPU, I install the "Catalyst Software Suite", which I assume contains the latest drivers, is this all I need? should I install "Catalyst Application Profiles" too?

Advertisement