Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Licence question

• 10-01-2013 2:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭

Passed test yesterday and got the Certificate of Competency for 'A' category motorbike.

Am I better to trade it in now before jan 19th ?

If I do then I get A license but restricted to less than 25kw for 2 years.

If I trade it in after Jan 19th then which category will my licence be placed into - A or A2 ? (Im over 24 )

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Passed test yesterday and got the Certificate of Competency for 'A' category motorbike.

If I trade it in after Jan 19th then which category will my licence be placed into - A or A2 ? (Im over 24 )

Thanks

Don't apply now or you'll end up with 25kw restriction for 2 years , if you wait till after the 19th it'll be 35kw for 2 years.

It all depends on what bike you used for the test. If it meet the criteria for A you'll get an A otherwise it'll be A2. What bike did you use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

OP, if you did the test today under the old A licence you will get an old full A licence, if you send it in after 19th of January you will receive full A2 new licence.

In either case you will have to do IBT Module 5 to get the full access. Might as well send it in now and work on the direct access after when you decided that you want unrestricted bike.

That is my view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,619 ✭✭✭prunudo

Thanks

It's really up to yourself, either get it in today or tomorrow, then you will receive your full A as normal and contuine on your 25kw bike and serve your 2 year restriction.....

Or

Hand it in after the 19th and receive an A2 and then do your ibt5 at your own leisure (all be it with extra costs) to get your unrestricted lisence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,619 ✭✭✭prunudo

Also just to point out OP that you must apply either today or tomorrow as after the 12th January you will be in the new system. See the link below, pg2

http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Licensed%20Drivers/Driving%20Licence%20Changes%202013/Plastic_Card%20_NDLS_General_Public.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Its a shame people who got their test in recent months dont have the option to upgrade to the 35kw restriction like the new licenses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Wild_Dogger

I submitted it today after careful consideration.

I rang the RSA just to clarify a few things.
    I will get the old paper licence and will be restricted to 25kw. I will not have to go through the lessons or theory test etc to get a fully unrestricted licence. After 2 years I automatically move to bike without restriction.

If I had submitted the licence next week then I would get an A2 licence.
    I would be restricted to 35kw for 2 years and would need to go throught another heap of tution etc to qualify for the unrestricted A licence.
    I would also be confined to drive a bike between 25kw and 35kw , which would mean that I would need to buy a new bike which fell into that power category.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

I submitted it today after careful consideration.

I rang the RSA just to clarify a few things.
    I will get the old paper licence and will be restricted to 25kw. I will not have to go through the lessons or theory test etc to get a fully unrestricted licence. After 2 years I automatically move to bike without restriction.

If I had submitted the licence next week then I would get an A2 licence.
    I would be restricted to 35kw for 2 years and would need to go throught another heap of tution etc to qualify for the unrestricted A licence.
    I would also be confined to drive a bike between 25kw and 35kw , which would mean that I would need to buy a new bike which fell into that power category.
    The best way if your not fussed about the restriction. Safe riding

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭pron

:(

They got that bit wrong anyway :eek:

A2 licence covers *any* bike up to 35kW and no greater than 0.2kW/kg power/weight. A bike restricted to 35kW may not originally have made more than 70kW (approx 95bhp) before restriction.

So an A2 licence will cover anything from a 50cc moped right up to a fairly big bike (but not a restricted 'busa !)

The only 25-35kW limitation goes with the min 395cc limitation for training/test on A2 bikes (bike for the test must be towards the higher end of the category). Similar for the unrestricted A test where the bike has to be at least 595cc and over 40kW (if memory serves).

Either way - the auto-lifting restriction is probably best in your case ... less hassle etc.

P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭Mr Motorcycle

pron wrote: »
    :(

They got that bit wrong anyway :eek:

A2 licence covers *any* bike up to 35kW and no greater than 0.2kW/kg power/weight. A bike restricted to 35kW may not originally have made more than 70kW (approx 95bhp) before restriction.

So an A2 licence will cover anything from a 50cc moped right up to a fairly big bike (but not a restricted 'busa !)

The only 25-35kW limitation goes with the min 395cc limitation for training/test on A2 bikes (bike for the test must be towards the higher end of the category). Similar for the unrestricted A test where the bike has to be at least 595cc and over 40kW (if memory serves).

Either way - the auto-lifting restriction is probably best in your case ... less hassle etc.

P

spot on there:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Just wondering about the new A2 license. Aside from the 35kw restriction is there any other difference between it and the full unrestricted (now called A1??) license ?

Like for instance, lets say I pass the test and get an A2. Am I now permitted to carry a pillion passenger or not ? I guess what I am asking is whether or not the only difference between the two licenses is the restriction. Apart from that is A2 a 'full license' per se that you could stay on the rest of your biking days ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

The full A2 has the same entitlements as a full A except for the power restriction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

ah balls. I'm doing my test in a month so if I pass I get an A2, restricted to 35Kw ?
    Does this apply to those like me, who have the Provisional for a couple of years ?
    What are the extra hoops that you have to jump through to get completely unrestricted ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Pique wrote: »
    ah balls. I'm doing my test in a month so if I pass I get an A2, restricted to 35Kw ?
    Does this apply to those like me, who have the Provisional for a couple of years ?
    What are the extra hoops that you have to jump through to get completely unrestricted ?

Depends on how old you are. If your under 24 there's no way. If your over 24 then you need to convert your learners permit, it's all in another thread here.

Advertisement