Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Complete travelling noob

• 10-01-2013 4:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Don't worry, i wont be asking when the VISA's are being released :P, seems to be enough of those threads. I would love if someone could take a few seconds to answer some queries that i have.

I'm a 23 year old student coming to the end of college and have never traveled. I'm hoping to travel to Canada around the beginning of January 2014. Do i bother applying for the 2013 VISA or wait until next years ? As in, is it just for those travelling in 2013 ? what if i'm going the 4th of January 2014 ?

Do you guys use the likes of USIT for the visa etc ? if not, where do you get it apply and how much does it cost ?

From what I've seen on USIT its 400e for Visa and deposit on flights.

Is there any major things i need to know about the application process ? Overall cost generally ?

Thanks to anyone who takes the seconds to answer this.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It's cheaper to not use USIT as you can do it yourself, I think last year the visa was about 100euro or thereabouts. Skyscanner.ie is a popular site for getting flights so have a look at that to get an idea of flight prices.

The below is the site that will give you all the info for the IEC (International Experience Canada) that you should need. So bookmark it and check it regularly.

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/ireland-irlande/experience_canada_experience/index.aspx?view=d

As you can see in the column on the left it gives you, or will give you, fees info, a step by step guide, FAQs etc. Have a look through the FAQ's to give you an idea of what is needed.

For previous years you needed a Garda cert so it's safe to assume you'll need one this year. Go to your local Garda Station with a Passport and ask can they send you one. I'd do this now to be honest as it doesn't cost you anything. For me last year it only took a few weeks for them to send it to me but other people posted saying it took them a longer.

Last year I applied in Feb but didn't get the visa until June and I have to use the visa within a year. So I have until June 2013 to use mine or it expires. So if you're planning on going next January I'd apply for this years visa as it will be more than likely March or even April before you'll be granted one/

One other thing to remember is to use an email address you regularly use as all correspondence with the visa people will be through that. Also once they receive your application they'll send you a personalized application number. If for whatever reason you have to contact them use this number and make it visible in your email, as in put in on the subject line.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 robertrc01

Brilliant, thanks a million for the response.

Advertisement