Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork to Galway?

Options
  • 10-01-2013 9:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi!

I'm travelling to Cork next week, and would like to hop to Galway and Kilkenny for day trips. I was advised to get my train tickets online for a discount. However I seem to be unable to do so on the Irish Rail site.

Could someone advise me on how much it would cost for return tickets from

1. Dublin to Cork
    2. Cork to Galway
    3. Cork to Kilkenny?

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

Cork - Dublin you can book online - fare will depend on your travelling times - a standard day return is about €80 - can't find the exact price online now.

Cork - Kilkenny and Cork - Galway do not have rail connections - sad I know.

Bus Eireann or Aircoach (bus to Dublin if you're on a budget)

www.buseireann.ie

www.aircoach.ie

Otherwise, is car-hire an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

Citylink or Bus Eireann for Cork-Galway.

Bus Eireann is probably the best (only?) public transport option for Cork-Kilkenny and it is probably slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Just something to think about.
    Kilkenny is about half way between Cork & Dublin.
    It might make sense to stop in Kilkenny for a few hours on your way down from Dublin. Cut down on a bit of travelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Galway isnt a location you are going to do a "day trip" from Cork to really. Too far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

As others have said, there is no train link from Cork to Galway. There was a great network of train lines around Ireland once upon a time but your only option these days is the bus to Galway. Bus would take about 3-4 hours so it's not a suitable day trip. Better off just staying down in Cork and maybe visiting some more local areas. Kinsale is very close. Killarney is about 2 hours away by bus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 mulberries

Thanks all for the advice! :) I have more burning questions on Cork, but i'll post that in another thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

You're actually better off basing yourself in Galway during your stay.
    Lots more to see and do there. :D.
    To get to Cork for the end of your trip just hop on a train from Galway to Limerick and get a bus the rest of the way. (Cork has poor rail connections).

Advertisement