Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making a wifi hotspot from an ethernet point

Options
  • 10-01-2013 9:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hi all,

I'll preface this by saying that my tech knowledge is pretty scant, so I hope you'll excuse me if this is a silly question.

I'm moving into off-campus student accommodation this weekend. In each bedroom, there's an ethernet point, but there is no wireless network in the apartment block. As far as I can see, the router isn't in the apartment.

I was wondering whether it would be possible to plug a wireless router into the ethernet point in my room, and thereby create a small wireless hotspot. If this is possible, would any router work? Specifically, I have one of the old eircom ones, so using this would be ideal.

The landlord has given me a list of settings to configure my computer when it is plugged into the ethernet point, so would these be the same settings one would use to set up the router?

Thanks for any help you can give!
    :)

Comments

Advertisement