Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

That "projection" thing from leaked 720 doc. WANTWANTWANT

Options
  • 10-01-2013 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭

....... Well it's real. And I WANT IT NOW!!!!!!
    Sweet merciful Zeus that looks class. I'm not a fanboy of ANY console, I have all three and IMHO, each has it's plusses and minuses. Thought the 2nd screen idea on Wii-U is good idea but think MS's version using pre-owned devices shows more potential. But between that and this projection thing? If it actually is implemented on the next gen then it's gonna rock the effing world!!

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/385755/microsoft-reveals-xbox-illumiroom-concept-video/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Going home to paint one of my bedroom walls white in preparation!!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,335 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Looks like it'd be a bit of distracting novelty for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Looks like it'd be a bit of distracting novelty for me.
    I know what you mean. If not implemented correctly it could be (The snow effects thing in that clip especially) but if used correctly it could be AWESOME.

Imagine that thing pumping out tunes with a deadly visualisation diaplay??!!??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Think it would be great for something like Pro Evo where you could see where everyone is on the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,335 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I dunno, I still think we're a while away from stuff like that working properly. Given the fact that Microsoft never got the Kinect to work in any meaningful way despite all the hype and nonsense, I'm pretty sceptical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I dunno, I still think we're a while away from stuff like that working properly. Given the fact that Microsoft never got the Kinect to work in any meaningful way despite all the hype and nonsense, I'm pretty sceptical.

This.

Isn't this hypothethically possible with the Kinect & a 3D projector at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Give me this and a Super Hexagon port please. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Give me innovations like this over poxy motion controls any day. I think this has potential, anything outside of the tv is only ever i your peripheral view so it doesn't even have to be that detailed to give the effect it wants.

Colour me intrigued at this stage anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Yeah, I mean it's not like you're going to be sniping someone in the bookcase (That....... that sounds wrong....) It's just there to be in your peripheral vision. As for the technical aspect? Well, that Milo was never going to take off. The amount of development and horsepower that would have needed to be put in to the AI and voice and gesture recognician to work as advertised would have been staggering and well beyond any home console. The projection thing, I'm assuming, will use the kinekt to get a map of the room and identify the position of the player and alter the projection accordingly. The player's position is going to be pretty stationary, the room and projection source stationary. I suppose the projector itself would be a next gen version of those pico-projectors in phones like the Samsung Beam. And because it does not need to be as small, it can probably be a higher powered/specced version. Probably on a shelf or something higher up behind the player and synched to the 720 via Bluetooth or some kind of private WLAN the 720 might use to also stream to the other screens.

I think it would be very doable in the next gen. My only concerns would be price, would it be an optional peripheral or a core part of the 720 bundle? If it is an optional peripheral it would need some uptake before developers actually start to use it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

EnterNow wrote: »
    anything outside of the tv is only ever i your peripheral view so it doesn't even have to be that detailed to give the effect it wants.

Exactly plus if an image ie the background is on the screen in all it's 1080 glory and then moves to the wall via projection, because the image is now in your periphery vision, the eye will be tricked and will automatically display it in high detail as if it were still on the screen. I don't understand science, I'm a mere man who likes the taste of bananas but apparently this is how your eyes would operate in this situation.

• Advertisement

shuffles03 wrote: »
    I'm a mere man who likes the taste of bananas.

Scientific studies have shown that some scientists also like the taste of bananas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Scientific studies have shown that some scientists also like the taste of bananas

Therefore I am

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Kinect is grand from a technical pov. I just can't be arsed jumping around to play a video game and it needs too much space to unlock it's full functionality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

This blows my mind, especially the shelves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Yeah this looks cool. I'll bloody well make room in my house for that.

I'm imagining playing an Elder scrolls title.. snow is falling around me, or I look up at those always-awesome TES night skies! Immersive, I reckon..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

dmcg90 wrote: »
    This blows my mind, especially the shelves.

That's what I said the first time I went to IKEA.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I have to say I was quite impressed by how not totally **** the integration with the rooms furnishing/clutter was. When the first hints of this started coming last year, everyones reaction was basically "this won't work without a white empty room" - which of course would still make it better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

looks very distracting
    wouldnt work in my room anyway so im not bothered if its in the xbox or not :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

There are two ways to look at this.
    A) the above
    B) a selling point

More on "B"; like the PS3 had a bluray drive, making it a cheap bluray player, this gizmo may make the 720 a cheap projector. Heck, before DID threw in a cheap bluray player, the father was going to buy a PS3 as it was the cheapest decent bluray player!

the_syco wrote: »
    More on "B"; like the PS3 had a bluray drive, making it a cheap bluray player, this gizmo may make the 720 a cheap projector

I doubt it, the projected image will be nowhere near the quality as the image on screen, its really only for your peripheral vision. There's no point in having your peripheral vision in 1080p, & keeping it very low resolution will keep the cost down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

I doubt it, the projected image will be nowhere near the quality as the image on screen, its really only for your peripheral vision. There's no point in having your peripheral vision in 1080p, & keeping it very low resolution will keep the cost down.
    I agree, there's no need for HD images in your peripheral vision (and especially if there are bookshelves in the way, like in the video). It would be useful for spotting movement or glistening items on the edge of your eyeline telling you to turn around because something needs your attentino, in the same way an audio cue in surround sound tips you off that there's an enemy behind you.

It also seems to be a bit like the old Philips ambilight technology worked on TV's - just a little extra depth to the experience, like the snow on that 'Mario kart' clip on the MS video.

I'm curious to see how this works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

I wonder, would it be able to calculate and alter the displayed image appropriately if the TV is in the corner of a room rather than with a flat wall behind it?

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Backfire

that looks pretty cool.

I will be buying both a 720 and ps4, but console gaming is getting bigger and bigger.

I'm sure the same technology will be implemented into PC gaming somehow.

A better experience for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Backfire wrote: »
    I'm sure the same technology will be implemented into PC gaming somehow.

A better experience for everyone.

I doubt it, looks gimmicky and Kinect 2 will be shoe horned into the new Xbox.:mad:

The more I see of the new Xbox the more I'm leaning towards the PS4, then I hear today they may go with a touch screen controller ala the WiiU.

At this stage I think I'll stick to PC gaming only until consoles makers stop with the silly gimmicks.

PC gamers just use multiple monitors and have been for many years now, no need for cheap VR projection effects. They can use Track IR for head movement in game. I have for the past 8 years on flight sims.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Backfire

I doubt it, looks gimmicky and Kinect 2 will be shoe horned into the new Xbox.:mad:

The more I see of the new Xbox the more I'm leaning towards the PS4, then I hear today they may go with a touch screen controller ala the WiiU.

At this stage I think I'll stick to PC gaming only until consoles makers stop with the silly gimmicks.

PC gamers just use multiple monitors and have been for many years now, no need for cheap VR projection effects. They can use Track IR for head movement in game. I have for the past 8 years on flight sims.

I too amn't a huge fan of many of the gimmicks invented for all consoles to date, but I just avoid them and use my console for basic gaming.

But some people do enjoy them and I was just saying that overall this results in more people being satisfied with their gaming experience.

Advertisement