Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interstellar (Christopher Nolan) *SPOILERS FROM POST 458 ONWARDS*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

What is the best cinema to watch Interstellar? Which one offers the best picture and sound quality? I am excited to see the movie and want to experience it the best way.
    Thanks.

AFAIK Cineworld is the only cinema showing it in IMAX, and I can assure you that it is well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I'm kind of speechless after that. I wouldn't even know where to start assessing it. I can only say that I was enthralled for nearly 3 hours. Such an experience!

One thing I'll say is that I'm in the minority as I loved the human aspect. I thought MMc, Chastain and Hathaway were particularly strong.

That's exactly how myself and wifey feel having just watched it. It was absolutely stunning, and the best cinema experience I've had in years. It was emotional, exciting, funny - from reading the reactions here I wasn't expecting too much but it just blew me away.

10/10

• Registered Users Posts: 12,561 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

What a masterpiece fantastic still trying to process it all! I loved the father daughter story I'm not to proud to say i shed a tear a couple of times while watching it! I really do hope it makes money for the studios to finance Nolan's next masterpiece!

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Pompous

I'm not to proud to say i shed a tear a couple of times while watching it!

You should be proud. Emotions are nothing to be ashamed of. It's when you don't feel anything that you should start to worry ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Mann's story is the only thing that rang hollow for me. Damon did the awakening and reveal about Blande brilliantly but the whole sequence from Coop's trek with Mann to Mann in space felt like a chore to watch. Mann's dissent into madness in such a situation is totally realistic but there was something just a bit empty about the execution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Morbert

I have a question about the plot.
    How do the quantum gravity equations save humanity? My understanding is it would allow them to travel en mass through the wormhole to a new home. But instead it looks like they hung around Saturn. Did the equations also teach them how to grow stuff in space?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Morbert wrote: »
    I have a question about the plot.
    How do the quantum gravity equations save humanity? My understanding is it would allow them to travel en mass through the wormhole to a new home. But instead it looks like they hung around Saturn. Did the equations also teach them how to grow stuff in space?

The equations were just so they could harness gravity to take off from earth in big space stations en masse (as opposed to send a few people up a time to build space stations in orbit over the space of years or decades). The space station at Saturn is just a way-point at the worm hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I do feel that it encouraged a sense of wonder in the universe - hopefully someone seeing this will be the next Kip Thorne or even Christopher Nolan.

I was very touched by the father daughter relationship and the visual beauty of some of the science portrayed.

It is making me more determined to fulfil my dream of studying astronomy in a few years time when my children are a bit older and I am looking forward to showing them the stars.

10/10 (flawed but breathtaking - the only other film that I loved as much was Children of Men).

• Registered Users Posts: 30 chococobs

I saw Interstellar in the Odeon in Stillorgan and I'm considering seeing it in IMAX at Cineworld this week (I know it's not 70mm but still am interested). For anyone who has seen it at Cineworld; where is the best place to sit? I would usually go for centre of the back row. Is there a showing which has noticeably less attendance? I was thinking of going to the 12:10pm on a weekday to hopefully get a decent choice of seats.

Middle a few rows from the front - well at least that was where we saw it - it felt like we were in the movie itself. We saw it last Friday at that time (it was obviously packed on that day!).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

So that article with Jonathan Nolan doesn't really answer the question whether Brand will be the same age as Coop if he reaches her - http://ie.ign.com/articles/2014/11/08/jonathan-nolan-interstellar-spoilers

Was the planet#3 in a huge time dilation zone where time would be running a lot slower relative to Earth ?

I thought that they lost time when they had to do the sling shot near Gargantua?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A spectacle, but a totally underwhelming, underwritten mess at the same time.

There's no question that when it comes to a presentation both intelligent and cinematic, Nolan's your man, and while we can quibble about details, particulars and plot holes into hundreds of pages (and no doubt that's the destiny of this thread), he aims high, he tries to treat the audience with a modicum of respect while demonstrating a power and understanding of cinema - and that's gold dust in of itself. To make a blockbuster about astrophysics is pretty ballsy, even if the science behind it occasionally falls flat (apparently, I'm not an expert)

I'm a fan of his output, I think The Prestige is his finest work, and while I don't accept the suggestion that his films are cold, emotionless works, Interstellar in some ways felt like a direct response to that. At its core Interstellar was a film about Love, with a capital L, making it quite clear that the bindings between people don't just sustain us or make us thrive, but literally tie the universe together. The scenes between McConaughey's Coop and his daughter were the strongest in the film and while they were shamelessly melodramatic and manipulative, the acting was heartfelt and so the emotion seemed earned. The standout moment in this instance was Coop watching the archive of video messages. Mind you, that entire concept was done much better in Contact, which also starred McConaughey when he was still slumming it as the charming prettyboy.

All that said, the writing in this film stank, and not because of minor-physics-goof #43; the plot, setting and characterisation was all over place, incapable of settling on one idea or one concept and giving the audience a proper foundation to digest, and it annoyed me throughout. The script kept shifting gear and changing focus without any context or warning. There was simply too much going on and none of it felt essential. This film threw in the apocalypse, AI, space travel, wormholes, astrophysics, a whole lot of STUFF and very little felt particularly cohesive. The robots were particularly bad, and just reminded me of those 1970s aspirational / epic sci-fi flicks that insisted in inserting a cute/wacky/sarcastic robot for absolutely no reason (Silent Running, The Black Hole etc.). And while the father/daughter relationship was the core of the characterisation, it meant every other person in this script suffered. Casey Afflick's son was underwritten to the point of being one of Murph's 'ghosts', and all the other key players felt completely wasted.

A disappointing film; I just kept thinking of Contact, and all the other, better films Nolan seemed to be riffing off throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭emo72

just a word of warning for anyone thinking of booking this in vue cinema liffey valley SCREEN ONE. i was down the back on the left hand side and there was a really bad sound issue. some vent or light fitting was rattling like mad and ruined the show for me. it was very bad, and coupled with the soundtrack obscuring the dialogue, im not sure if the cinema is trying to deliberately put me off going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Shoulda complained to the manager, got a refund.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

I've never heard so many bad things said about a masterpiece!
    Great CGI with garbage plot and script doesn't do it for me anymore so I'll give this a miss I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭emo72

cloud493 wrote: »
    Shoulda complained to the manager, got a refund.

i did, and i did. the only time i ever felt compelled to do it. he apologised and explained that there was nothing he could do mid showing. i think i was the only person that complained. he knew it was broken. it was like someone constantly banging a pot behind me:pac:

i was going to book screen 7 but chose 1 instead because i assumed it had the best setup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

CathyMoran wrote: »
    I thought that they lost time when they had to do the sling shot near Gargantua?

I think the idea was they would travel at particular velocity and angle to the event horizon so that they might get a glimpse beyond it -enough to gather data to bring back. The data would help Engineers manipulate gravity - presumably by reconciling general relativity and quantum gravity - enough, as Mark Hamill says, to build a craft that could take everyone from Earth without much cost.

They would have lost a lot of time relative to earth being so close to the black hole.

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Great CGI with garbage plot and script doesn't do it for me anymore so I'll give this a miss I think.

CGI in this film is minimised - and no way is the plot garbage,
    in my opinion it's a fantastic and enthralling film - just a slight fall in credibility toward the end.

I'd see it for yourself rather then skip a potentially great experience - especially on the big screen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

the_monkey wrote: »
    CGI in this film is minimised - and no way is the plot garbage,
    in my opinion it's a fantastic and enthralling film - just a slight fall in credibility toward the end.

I'd see it for yourself rather then skip a potentially great experience - especially on the big screen.
    TBH they lost me at the fundamental premise: something or other killing all the food on planet earth. It's a meaningless McGuffin. Like I said, not into eye candy over script and story, no size screen will do it for me.
    Nolan needs to get his hands on a well worn SF novel at this stage. His hit rate as a writer is dismal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

TBH they lost me at the fundamental premise: something or other killing all the food on planet earth. It's a meaningless McGuffin. Like I said, not into eye candy over script and story, no size screen will do it for me.
    Nolan needs to get his hands on a well worn SF novel at this stage. His hit rate as a writer is dismal.

The premise isn't adequately addressed. Much like you say, something about life on earth being on borrowed time and there's no armies and now they teach kids that space missions were made in a movie studio. Since NASA is underground ( where'd they get the money?!) I suppose it's possible that they had something to do with it. I thought maybe there was some disturbance with the gravitational pull that was causing the dust storms and blight.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,403 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

a diagram of the timeline explained extremely spoilerific

https://i.imgur.com/MgwWMFU.jpg

Skerries wrote: »

Ah !! thanks for that, it answers a question related to Brand I had earlier,
    So I guess she lost the same amount of time Cooper lost when orbiting Gargantua - so in theory when Coop goes to planet #3 they should be more or less the same age ...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

pixelburp wrote: »
    A spectacle, but a totally underwhelming, underwritten mess at the same time.

There's no question that when it comes to a presentation both intelligent and cinematic, Nolan's your man, and while we can quibble about details, particulars and plot holes into hundreds of pages (and no doubt that's the destiny of this thread), he aims high, he tries to treat the audience with a modicum of respect while demonstrating a power and understanding of cinema - and that's gold dust in of itself. To make a blockbuster about astrophysics is pretty ballsy, even if the science behind it occasionally falls flat (apparently, I'm not an expert)

I'm a fan of his output, I think The Prestige is his finest work, and while I don't accept the suggestion that his films are cold, emotionless works, Interstellar in some ways felt like a direct response to that. At its core Interstellar was a film about Love, with a capital L, making it quite clear that the bindings between people don't just sustain us or make us thrive, but literally tie the universe together. The scenes between McConaughey's Coop and his daughter were the strongest in the film and while they were shamelessly melodramatic and manipulative, the acting was heartfelt and so the emotion seemed earned. The standout moment in this instance was Coop watching the archive of video messages. Mind you, that entire concept was done much better in Contact, which also starred McConaughey when he was still slumming it as the charming prettyboy.

All that said, the writing in this film stank, and not because of minor-physics-goof #43; the plot, setting and characterisation was all over place, incapable of settling on one idea or one concept and giving the audience a proper foundation to digest, and it annoyed me throughout. The script kept shifting gear and changing focus without any context or warning. There was simply too much going on and none of it felt essential. This film threw in the apocalypse, AI, space travel, wormholes, astrophysics, a whole lot of STUFF and very little felt particularly cohesive. The robots were particularly bad, and just reminded me of those 1970s aspirational / epic sci-fi flicks that insisted in inserting a cute/wacky/sarcastic robot for absolutely no reason (Silent Running, The Black Hole etc.). And while the father/daughter relationship was the core of the characterisation, it meant every other person in this script suffered. Casey Afflick's son was underwritten to the point of being one of Murph's 'ghosts', and all the other key players felt completely wasted.

A disappointing film; I just kept thinking of Contact, and all the other, better films Nolan seemed to be riffing off throughout.
    Thanks for perfectly articulating my thoughts on the movie. I couldn't agree more.

Seeing it on full on proper IMAX means there were a handful of scenes/shots that will remain etched in my mind forever but a big disappointment for me.

I still hope it's a success and Nolan continues to do something in the 'blockbuster' space he's currently operating in.

Skerries wrote: »

. edit sorry duplicate post, Love Hate crashed the site :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

The pacing of the entire film was really off.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I thought this was really poor.
    There was some very nice shots, the one of the Endurance crossing Saturn and you see just how tiny it is looked brilliant. And there was some decent "feels" moments with Cooper watching the transmissions from earth and after they leave Millers planet and you realise just how much the delay has cost them in years. But it was all very slow and boring for the other 95% of the movie.

Nolan took on too much, felt like he thought he had to make the movie as big and epic as he possibly could and everything else be damned. Prime example of that being Caine's first monologue. Was completely out of context and when it kicked in it was really jarring and just seemed like Nolan felt he couldn't possibly have a movie without a Michael Caine monologue in there somewhere.

Hathaway was terrible, I cared more about what happened to the robots than her.

"3 Hours of Christopher Nolan smelling his own farts" would be a more apt title than Interstellar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Squeedily Spooch

Or, y'know watch it and ake your own mind up? Since when is a divisive film a bad thing? For what faults it does have spectacle certainly isn't one of them, its not a film made to be watched at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

I'm just out of the cinema now and I have to say this is an amazing film. I'm blown away (and I can't remember the last time I said that). I loved it. Almost 3 hours long And I didn't want it to end. The acting was supreme, Matthew Mc conaghey and jessica chastain were brilliant, even Anne Hathaway and the two robots were great. But the little girl who played young murph was unreal she was incredible.
    The only small gripe I have is that the score was a bit intrusive but I didn't mind it that much.
    Go see this, that's all I'm saying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,807 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

i thought the wormhole disappears before the end of the movie

Advertisement