Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interstellar (Christopher Nolan) *SPOILERS FROM POST 458 ONWARDS*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Wow one of the worst films I have ever seen . Equally as bad as gravity . The movie had no suspense / action . It had a predictable and see through plot . Really disappointing .
    4/10 at max for overall film rating . Anne Hathaway's performance was very poor I thought.
    The movie is also too long I felt .

However the special effects were decent . I enjoyed nothing else about the film . Not the film I was expecting at all.

Can't take anyone seriously who says it was one of the worst films ever. Plenty of people not liking it, and that's fine by me. But to call it one of the worst films ever.. :rolleyes:
    Plenty of action and suspenseful scenes imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Squeedily Spooch

Can't take anyone seriously who says it was one of the worst films ever. Plenty of people not liking it, and that's fine by me. But to call it one of the worst films ever.. :rolleyes:

"Worst film ever" seems to be the lazy critique these days. Overhyped? sure, disappointing? Yes depending on your expectations, one of the worst films ever? No, unless you've seen like three films.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Just back from it. Thought it was epic. Nothing immensely original in there and aside from the robots not going all HAL (TARS was great) and the final 20 minutes it was quite by the numbers. The execution however was perfect. Shot beautifully, great action, great tension & emotion punctuated with a brilliant score.

I really liked that it didn't linger much on exposition or drag out the prep for the mission. It just went straight into it and kept you up to speed as it went.

The ending itself was quite bizarre but it was unique and very enjoyable. I think it's best not to think too much about the whole chicken and egg problem and just let it be what it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

"Worst film ever" seems to be the lazy critique these days. Overhyped? sure, disappointing? Yes depending on your expectations, one of the worst films ever? No, unless you've seen like three films.

Actually if you've only seen 3 films in your entire life, you're likely to have your face rocked off by this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,814 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

even for robot controlling a joystick from one direction would be hard

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Bacchus wrote: »

I really liked that it didn't linger much on exposition.

I think we may have seen different films :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Just on the sound mix I thought it was poor but I put that down to the cinema not checking or calibrating thier speakers, I saw it in Vue screen 1 yesterday and some of the speakers whereby able to handle the mix, I suppose they don't bother checking or maintaining thier equipment to much.

I thought the sound was absolutely superb ,it was the picture that was very disappointing.

It looked blurry ,dark and out of focus where I saw it on a normal but large cinema screen.
    I actually left it and went to the other screen showing it 15 minutes later and it was just as bad.
    It was actually like watching a telesync .:(

I thoroughly enjoyed the film ,especially the science, until the last 15 minutes when it jumped the shark a bit,it reminded me a bit of the end of the Black Hole

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭La Mer

This movie!
    I can't get it outta my head!
    Definitely one of the best movies I've ever seen in my life!
    memento, the dark Knight, inception and now this, I need a prove that Nolan is a human being!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Interesting to see the differences between the film and the original screenplay written by Jonathan Nolan for prospective director Steven Spielberg in 2008

http://interstellarfilm.wikia.com/wiki/2008_script

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭jones

So, rate Nolan's pictures anyone? Choose your favourites rather than what you think are the "best". For me:

1. Inception
    2. Batman Begins
    3. Interstellar
    4. The Prestige / The Dark Knight Rises (I can't choose)
    5. The Dark Knight Rises/ The Prestige :-)
    6. The Dark Knight
    7. Memento
    8. Insomnia

(I haven't seen Following). I did have a hard time placing the second two Batman films in fairness. I could choose one or the other. Interstellar is placed quite high I admit, and that might be something to do with the freshness of its release, but also a genuine feeling that I prefer it to the other movies. I'd be less in a rush to see The Dark Knight, even though its great, than I would want to see Interstellar again. However, after I see Interstellar a few more times, when it comes out on DVD, the order of the list may change. The Prestige may move up, along with one of the Batman sequels. Then again I remember being slightly unimpressed by "Batman 2". :) Memento I probably have to see again to re-rate it. And I fell asleep during Insomnia. Ironic, huh? :)

I dont think i've ever seen/heard anyone rate The Dark Knight Rises over the Dark Knight :-)

As far as the vastly different reviews for this coming out it just shows how much attention Nolan's films get, every detail scutinised in minute detail. I went to see this wtih 4 friends - I and 2 others loved, 1 thought it was good but not great and the 4th thought it was one of the worst films he's ever seen. So basically a good mix of reviews in the one group. I really think having some basic interest in space is a must for a movie like this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

And the high horse brigade is here with their roll eyes .

My opinion not yours . I can't take anyone seriously who says it's the best movie they have ever seen. I thought the movie was really disappointing and it wasn't for me .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

jones wrote: »
    I dont think i've ever seen/heard anyone rate The Dark Knight Rises over the Dark Knight :-)

I get them mixed up sometimes. But at the same time I think I enjoyed the story arc of TDKR more than TDK - something about the Two Face character put me off a little, like it was 'one Batman villain too far' or something. I must watch it again.
    jones wrote: »
    As far as the vastly different reviews for this coming out it just shows how much attention Nolan's films get, every detail scutinised in minute detail. I went to see this wtih 4 friends - I and 2 others loved, 1 thought it was good but not great and the 4th thought it was one of the worst films he's ever seen. So basically a good mix of reviews in the one group. I really think having some basic interest in space is a must for a movie like this

I think your 4th mate was trying to be "cool".... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I think we may have seen different films :pac:

Sure, there was exposition but it was never overbearing and it never really affected the pace of the movie. In particular (as I mentioned), we cut straight to the lift off from Cooper leaving his family. There was no big unnecessary segment explaining flight trajectories or training or any of that, it just jumped straight to it. The exposition that was there was necessary, quite easy to follow given the subject matter and didn't feel like "right here's the science part".

It's definitely a film that requires another viewing, not because it is confusing but because there is so much going on, knowing the "twist" will put a different spin on things and it's just a wonderfully crafted movie IMO.

Wormhole/relativity/gravity plot holes be damned by the way. The only real plot hole was Cooper finding the base on the map, saying he'll be a few hours and ends up taking all day to just GET to the base, nevermind the return journey. That was not a few hours. FFS, lazy writing, unless there was some wormhole nearby. Nearly ruined the movie for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭orubiru

And the high horse brigade is here with their roll eyes .

My opinion not yours . I can't take anyone seriously who says it's the best movie they have ever seen. I thought the movie was really disappointing and it wasn't for me .

Honestly, if you think Interstellar and Gravity are 2 of the worst movies ever then you either haven't seen many movies or you understand very little about the art of making movies or screenwriting.

You've said "the movie had no suspense / action" but I can think of 2 very specific segments of suspense and action in the film. You are honestly stating that the "wave" and the "docking" scenes do not bring suspense and action to the film?

That you've said "it had a predictable and see through plot" implies to me that you either didn't understand the plot or you don't understand the definition of the word "plot". Just to be clear, you knew exactly where the movie was going at all times?

So, my main question for you is... can you name a movie with more suspense/action and a movie that didn't have a predictable and see through plot?

"My opinion, not yours". Does nobody think it's weird how folks think this validates anything and everything they have to say?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Wow one of the worst films I have ever seen . Equally as bad as gravity . The movie had no suspense / action . It had a predictable and see through plot . Really disappointing .
    4/10 at max for overall film rating

One of the worst movies ever seen, and it still comes away with a passing grade!

One of the worst movies ever seen, and it still comes away with a passing grade!

Yeah, I think folks just go for that "one of the worst I've ever seen" stuff because it makes them appear freakin edgy or something.

Nolan seems to attract people from both ends of the scale. It's not the best movie ever made and he is not some kind of infallible Movie Making God. On the other hand, the outcry over the "inaccuracy" of the science in this movie is hilarious. Didn't realize there were so many astrophysicists out there. :)

If you watched two new movies per month in 2014 I doubt you'd be able to say, objectively, that Interstellar was one of the worst movies this year. Folks did this with Gravity too, to be honest.

I tend to just think that those people must rarely ever watch a movie. Or maybe they just have REALLY high standards so I try to ask them to recommend something better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

It would be great to read some articulated criticism of this film. Worst film ever ? Well then explain why. Few film makers deserve outright dismissal.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,228 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

There was a certain level predictability in fairness. They the scene Man turned was edited it was evident he was about to try kill Coop before it happened, also pretty obvious Romley was about to be offed. One of the more clunky parts of the film I thought, but it lead into the fantastic docking scene so it's all good.

Coop being the ghost was pretty obvious a fair bit before he went into the black hole I thought too, that is to say I thought it but wasn't sure that was where they were going to go with it.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    There was a certain level predictability in fairness. They the scene Man turned was edited it was evident he was about to try kill Coop before it happened, also pretty obvious Romley was about to be offed. One of the more clunky parts of the film I thought, but it lead into the fantastic docking scene so it's all good.

It was obvious from the moment they left earth that neither Romley nor Doyle would be lasting the duration of the movie. Typical for a lot of save-the-world missions.
    They were underused, and then off'd rather coldly. One of my bigger criticisms of the movie, particularly with Romley. I would have liked to see his aging played on a little more, not just physically.

Mickeroo wrote: »

Coop being the ghost was pretty obvious a fair bit before he went into the black hole I thought too, that is to say I thought it but wasn't sure that was where they were going to go with it.

I actually thought this too almost the moment the ghost was mentioned. I blame the trailers though. They showed so little and yet it was still too much. I knew there was just no way that the "wormhole" stuff we saw in the trailers was not going to lead to some time dialation or time travel or some other supernatural thing so as soon as the ghost was mentioned...

Same with Dr Mann... they had already referenced Event Horizon by this point and as soon as he woke up it was obvious he was gonna be a bad guy.

I know a few people who go into pretty much any movie trying to predict what's gonna happen next. Maybe their entertainment is in trying to "outsmart" the movie?

At the same time, I am not really sure what a director or a writer can do to create an "unpredictable" movie? No marketing materials? Maybe push a big name actor but then kill them off randomly in the first act?

It's so tough to make something that is unpredictable, whilst remaining understandable and logical, because it takes a serious amount of talent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Interesting to see the differences between the film and the original screenplay written by Jonathan Nolan for prospective director Steven Spielberg in 2008

http://interstellarfilm.wikia.com/wiki/2008_script

My God !! That sounds absolutely terrible ! - Just the type of tripe that Spielberg would direct nowadays.

I appreciate this film more and more as the days pass ...

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,228 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

orubiru wrote: »
    I actually thought this too almost the moment the ghost was mentioned. I blame the trailers though. They showed so little and yet it was still too much. I knew there was just no way that the "wormhole" stuff we saw in the trailers was not going to lead to some time dialation or time travel or some other supernatural thing so as soon as the ghost was mentioned...

Same with Dr Mann... they had already referenced Event Horizon by this point and as soon as he woke up it was obvious he was gonna be a bad guy.

I know a few people who go into pretty much any movie trying to predict what's gonna happen next. Maybe their entertainment is in trying to "outsmart" the movie?

At the same time, I am not really sure what a director or a writer can do to create an "unpredictable" movie? No marketing materials? Maybe push a big name actor but then kill them off randomly in the first act?

It's so tough to make something that is unpredictable, whilst remaining understandable and logical, because it takes a serious amount of talent.

I hadn't seen any trailers bar the early ones so the wormhole and ghost were all news to me. I don't think it's possible to watch a film like this without trying to figure it out yourself as you go, it's part of what makes them enjoyable. I still really liked the film regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

One word describes many peoples opinions on this movie, snobbery . .

People either will love Nolan movies no matter what or look for reasons to hate it.

Had this been a movie by some unknown director I would hazard a guess it would be getting even more praise then Gravity. .

Nolan has raised the bar by creating superb movies and I had really been looking forward to this since I read the summary of this movie after dark knight rises was released. I came out of the movie not disappointed but not wowed like some of his other movies. That said, when I reflected on how high my expectations were for this movie I rated it 8/10 after a day deciding on a fair rating..

For people questioning the science of the movie, they had a very respected scientist collaborating on the movie, what makes you think you know more then him? Also, nobody knows what the hell is in a black hole so Nolans guess is just as relevant as anybody elses.

For anybody who wants to understand how much we actually know about our universe, watch this for an interesting discussion on how accurate the theorys we take for granted, really are.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1ka39z_bbc-horizon-is-everything-we-know-about-the-universe-wrong-xvid-ac3_tech

Drumpot wrote: »

People either will love Nolan movies no matter what or look for reasons to hate it.

Had this been a movie by some unknown director I would hazard a guess it would be getting even more praise then Gravity. .

Nolan has raised the bar by creating superb movies and I had really been looking forward to this since I read the summary of this movie after dark knight rises was released. I came out of the movie not disappointed but not wowed like some of his other movies. That said, when I reflected on how high my expectations were for this movie I rated it 8/10 after a day deciding on a fair rating..

For people questioning the science of the movie, they had a very respected scientist collaborating on the movie, what makes you think you know more then him? Also, nobody knows what the hell is in a black hole so Nolans guess is just as relevant as anybody elses.

Do you think it has a lot to do with the Batman movies?

I don't see what there is to genuinely hate about Following, Memento, Insomnia or The Prestige. They are all pretty solid movies.

Batman is definitely the kind of thing people could be divided over. In general, people are either gonna love or hate the idea of Batman but genuine Batman fans had been treated to terrible Batman movies for years. Nolan comes along and makes Batman movies that the fans go crazy over and that presents as some crazy "fanboy" behavior online.

Batman fans are weird. :)

It gets to the point where you can't criticize Nolan without being attacked. This causes a backlash and so we get people who want to criticize every little aspect of everything Nolan tries to do. This gets added to the normal criticism that "trendy" types apply to any popular movie, music, etc. I basically agree with what you said, if someone other than Nolan had made this then the criticisms would be less intense.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Either/or eh. Or perhaps, maybe people just take his films as they come and aren't unreservedly wowed as others are, or conversely love the film regardless :) I'm sure there's snobbery somewhere if you look hard enough, but it's simplistic and somewhat insulting to drop the 's' word around; there is definitely a Cult of Nolan all right, but I think most around these parts are capable of talking about the movie without being pigeon-holed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

For anybody who wants to understand how much we actually know about our universe, watch this for an interesting discussion on how accurate the theorys we take for granted, really are.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1ka39z_bbc-horizon-is-everything-we-know-about-the-universe-wrong-xvid-ac3_tech

Can you explain yourself rather than linking to somebody elses hour long explanation, which may or may not have anything to do with what you're trying to say ?

The criticisms of the science in the film are legitimate but minor and don't impede on the overall experience. They are legitimate because it markets itself as scientific realism and was intended to stimulate thinking rather then be just fantasy. I think that much was made clear. Incidentally, Kip Thorne will be the first to concede you cant survive falling into a black hole and that time travel is impossible. Its also true that the majority of science in the film is accurate.

But go ahead and dismiss all that as snobbery with lazy generalizations rather than an opportunity to learn something.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭GBXI

I can't believe the amount of people on here who thought this movie was good or better than that. Boards.ie must not be a good sub-sector of what the rest of the world is like - though I'm learning that more and more when I log in here!

I could tell from the reaction of people leaving the theater last night that it wasn't highly thought of (that's putting it nicely) but then the IMDB rating is huge and the majority on here think it's great, so I'm a bit confused.

I thought it was way too long, ridiculous plot and story for most of the movie. It's like it was made as an excuse to show off space and I can understand why some people would enjoy that, but I need more in my movies. Think I'll stay away from sci-fi for the time being!

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

I went on my own cause the missus didn't want to see it.
    She asked me what it was about, I tried to tell her but couldn't even start the sentence, nothing I said would do justice to the scale of this movie.
    Yeah, Nolan may have overshot & the love element is a bit hokey but you have to applaud the ambition.

I'm suprised it's not done bigger business in the states, only $50 million opening weekend
    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/browse/box-office/

With producers only willing to fund spoon fed superhero fodder you must really congratulate Nolan.

GBXI wrote: »
    I can't believe the amount of people on here who thought this movie was good or better than that. Boards.ie must not be a good sub-sector of what the rest of the world is like - though I'm learning that more and more when I log in here!

I could tell from the reaction of people leaving the theater last night that it wasn't highly thought of (that's putting it nicely) but then the IMDB rating is huge and the majority on here think it's great, so I'm a bit confused.

I don't let ratings on websites dictate too much, but I can't make sense of this argument.

It has a high rating on IMDB.
    A lot of people on Boards gave it a good rating.
    The screening you were at didn't give it a good rating.

If anything, doesn't that suggest that the screening you were at isn't a good sub-sector of what the rest of the world is like?
    Now to be fair, it looks about 60:40 in favour of positive on here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

There is snobbery and hyperbole enough to go around on both sides of the debate on this film.

Advertisement