Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interstellar (Christopher Nolan) *SPOILERS FROM POST 458 ONWARDS*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Agricola wrote: »
    Sorry, I didnt feel like trawling the net for a list of "Top 20 Hollywood leading men" in order to back up my opinion that McConnaughey may not have the best choice. Any yes, I think Matt Damon would be a fine choice. If they need someone to play a highly intelligent man of action, I think he has that covered. He'd be more credible in that part and I actually think McCon would be more credible as they guy who loses his shít on the ice planet!

Translation : You made an off the cuff remark that Damon would have been better, with nothing to really back it up.

Ok it's your opinion but I don't see it myself. Damon would have been a good fit for the space/intelligent/action stuff alright but I don't see him as the conflicted father figure type which is a pretty big part of the role and a part that MCC nailed. Most of all, I just don't see anything wrong with MCC's performance that would lead you claim that the first actor that came to your mind (Damon) would be better.

TBH, I don't really see McConaughey in the role Matt Damon played either. "Crazy" McConaughey would be too wide eyed loon I think, whereas Damon played it quite subtle, quirky and dark. Again, I think Damon was great casting there.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Of all the things you could criticise, MMC's acting isn't one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

ktulu123 wrote: »
    Soundtrack is out next week. Can't wait to get my hands on it!

https://soundcloud.com/fauzkhan/hanszimmerinterstellardayonedark

Great noise :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Just after watching it and having put quite a few Alastair Reynolds books under my belt i have to say it is really something special. Even my 8-10 year old kids got the time dilation thing! Although i confess to boring them with it from time to time....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

According to Jonathan Nolan the wormhole was closed at the end of the movie :confused:
    Nolan: So the idea with the film was that it was a wormhole that leads us to a place that creates an opportunity for us and then disappears. By the end of Cooper's journey, the wormhole is gone. It's up to us now to undertake the massive journey of spreading out across the face of our galaxy. Brand is still somewhere out there on the far side of the wormhole. The wormhole has disappeared entirely. It's gone.

IGN: And he has to try and get to Brand in this little ship?

Nolan: That's the idea.

Coops mission to find Brand would seem like a suicide mission ,he had a tiny ship,hardly any food or fuel and no wormhole to travel

I think the last 15 minutes of the film was a bit of a mess with the explanation of the ghost ,how the wormhole opened and the huge paradox .

If the wormhole didn't exist, humanity would have died on planet Earth.
    The only reason humanity DID survive was because of the wormhole. How could they send themselves the wormhole (evolved humans that existed because they were saved by the VERY wormhole they later sent back in time).:confused
    Then there is the whole black hole time loop paradox where he enters the black hole and sends a message to himself to go to NASA to end up through the wormhole to later fall into the black hole where he sends the message to himself to go to NASA to go through the wormhole to fall into the black hole to send himself a message.

I honestly think this lazy writing could have been handled much better than the end result as up until the last 15 minutes the film was top notch.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Decent movie, not a brilliant movie.

What would've made it brilliant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Space-bats.

According to Jonathan Nolan the wormhole was closed at the end of the movie :confused:

Coops mission to find Brand would seem like a suicide mission ,he had a tiny ship,hardly any food or fuel and no wormhole to travel

I think the last 15 minutes of the film was a bit of a mess with the explanation of the ghost ,how the wormhole opened and the huge paradox .

The only reason humanity DID survive was because of the wormhole. How could they send themselves the wormhole (evolved humans that existed because they were saved by the VERY wormhole they later sent back in time).:confused
    Then there is the whole black hole time loop paradox where he enters the black hole and sends a message to himself to go to NASA to end up through the wormhole to later fall into the black hole where he sends the message to himself to go to NASA to go through the wormhole to fall into the black hole to send himself a message.

I honestly think this lazy writing could have been handled much better than the end result as up until the last 15 minutes the film was top notch.
    Thing is we know feck all about black holes so anything goes. The whole time travel thing in movies is always going to have its problems so this was done ok imo.
    What way would you or anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Mizu_Ger wrote: »
    Saw this on the iSense screen in Blanchardstown last night and it was LOUD!! Probably the loudest thing I've ever been to in the cinema (Batman Forever is the only other film I ever remember as being too loud). The score wasn't very subtle. It went for the wall-of-sound technique a lot.

I take it you did not see Star Trek11 2009. The one that was out in 2009. Thats was very loud in the cinema especially the beginning off it. It might not have the best story or be the most original film but it did look and sound really good on a hugh cinema screen.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

That was really funny, thanks! Good podcast.
    You should hear their review of Transformers: Age of Extinction. Nearly had me in tears of laughter. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,814 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Interstellar Is Great But It May Have A Serious Sound Problem http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Interstellar-Great-It-May-Have-Serious-Sound-Problem-68148.html
    Beyond Twitter, Washington Post ran an article that references sound issues in past Christopher Nolan films, Inception and The Dark Knight Rises among them. The Post states that they were able to hear most of the words spoken in Interstellar, but they cited Hollywood Elsewhere's criticism about the "bassy and woofer-throbby" sound and the complaints they heard from others about it after the screening.

If there are spaceships in the movie, I want bassy and woofer-throbby. I want to feel like I'm sitting on that ship about to be launched into space or through a wormhole. I want sound to match the visuals. Give me all the sound the speakers and my eardrums handle. I don't mind loud. But I want to hear what the actors are saying, because I do actually care about what's happening. I want to hear Tars tell a joke. I want to hear one character's crucial words to another if it's part of the story and I'm supposed to be able to hear it. I had some issues with that with Interstellar. It sounds like others have too.

Movie Theater on 'Interstellar' Sound Complaints: Take It Up With Christopher Nolan http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/movie-theater-blames-christopher-nolan-748866

i noticed a throbbing sound/vibration during a time when the actors were just talking and there was any particular music being played, it was like Nolan was building up to the launch about 5 or ten minutes before it happened... but i couldn't here the dialgoue or atleat couldn't hear it because some spoke when the characters weere saying something, but i think the person was saying they couldn't hear it.

in any film there are known unknowns, and known knowns, could he not have made the things we are supposed to know clear, the Nolans bros were making some comment about how all non-coopers were still getting used to the idea of pushing forward, but there seemed to two unclear things that left you not be able to enjoy the subtext because you were just confused about the practical. what did the solving the gravity equation with the blackhole data actually allow them to do?, and following on from that how could Cooper reach Brand?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

I made reference to the same paradox earlier in the thread and didn't get any answers. Having thought about all I can come up with is

A: A small fraction of people survived on earth long enough to make an escape by there own means and then evolve in to the fifth dimension beings.

B: We did not originate on earth, and years ago earth was colonised in a similar manner to plan b which could mean there are other humans or further evolved humans in the universe.

I have spent way to long thinking about this movie and that's why I love it.

PS: really annoyed about the worm hole closing thing it creates mor questions than answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

what did the solving the gravity equation with the blackhole data actually allow them to do?

It allowed them to solve the problem/equation of launching the huge space station (Nasa Base) Brand Snr was constructing off of Earth and into space
    It was too large to launch using conventional rocket propelled methods .
    Murph solved it when she said Eureka .

It allowed them to solve the problem/equation of launching the huge space station (Nasa Base) Brand Snr was constructing off of Earth and into space
    It was too large to launch using conventional rocket propelled methods .
    Murph solved it when she said Eureka .

ok I said I had two questions anwering one is not good enough, is that the only thing you can do with that gravity knowledge?

how could Cooper reach Brand in that small ship

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

I wouldn't say I watched it in a state of the art cinema (odeon, coolock) but I had no problem hearing the dialogue for the most part. Brande's dying confession was perhaps the only difficulty I had hearing but I still got the gist of what he was saying.

Honestly I've never gotten the whole sound criticism that's levelled at him. Maybe I just have super hearing. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Certainly wouldnt call it a masterpiece but I thoroughly enjoyed it. What I like about Nolan is that he's ambitious. His reach may often exceed his grasp but at least he's out there doing interesting stuff. The last trailer that came on before the film started when I saw it was Furious7. Hard to be disappointed with a film like Interstellar, despite its problems, after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Nolan: So the idea with the film was that it was a wormhole that leads us to a place that creates an opportunity for us and then disappears. By the end of Cooper's journey, the wormhole is gone. It's up to us now to undertake the massive journey of spreading out across the face of our galaxy. Brand is still somewhere out there on the far side of the wormhole. The wormhole has disappeared entirely. It's gone.

IGN: And he has to try and get to Brand in this little ship?

Nolan: That's the idea.

Nah, not in my head, I don't accept this, AFAIK they never said the wormhole was closed in the film - how the hell is he gonna travel millions of light years in a small ship ? - it's another GALAXY after all !!!

Coop left at the end to re enter the wormhole and get to planet #3 ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

the_monkey wrote: »
    Nah, not in my head, I don't accept this, AFAIK they never said the wormhole was closed in the film - how the hell is he gonna travel millions of light years in a small ship ? - it's another GALAXY after all !!!

My interpretation of it too. Also, the station was coming up on Saturn so they were heading to the wormhole. If it suddenly had closed, there'd have been a bit of fuss about it so IMO, the wormhole was still open.

Bacchus wrote: »
    My interpretation of it too. Also, the station was coming up on Saturn so they were heading to the wormhole. If it suddenly had closed, there'd have been a bit of fuss about it so IMO, the wormhole was still open.

Yep tbh, maybe Jonah Nolan is a great writer - but to say the idea for Coop to find Brand in another galaxy in that small ship is ludicrous to say the least - even for this film.

Perhaps it had a warp drive ? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Where did Nolan say that? He's usually not definitive about things - like the spinning totem at the end of Inception.

For me, interpretation of movies can only be based on what is presented in the movie - we weren't shown the wormhole closing, therefore we don't know that it is closed. Unless the evidence is presented on screen, it can be interpreted either way.

Its like the Blair Witch Project - some said "oh they went back in time" but that was speculation - there was no answer. And here its the same. For Nolan to say it after the fact doesn't really matter. If you choose to believe that the wormhole is still open, then believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Bacchus wrote: »
    Translation : You made an off the cuff remark that Damon would have been better, with nothing to really back it up.

Ok it's your opinion but I don't see it myself. Damon would have been a good fit for the space/intelligent/action stuff alright but I don't see him as the conflicted father figure type which is a pretty big part of the role and a part that MCC nailed. Most of all, I just don't see anything wrong with MCC's performance that would lead you claim that the first actor that came to your mind (Damon) would be better.

TBH, I don't really see McConaughey in the role Matt Damon played either. "Crazy" McConaughey would be too wide eyed loon I think, whereas Damon played it quite subtle, quirky and dark. Again, I think Damon was great casting there.

Not really, I just didnt have to look far for an actor who seems on the face of it to fit the bill of the lead role better than the actor whos actually doing it.
    It might be like if De Niro and Pacino swapped parts in the Godfather pt 2. Could both of them play both roles? Of course. But De Niro is a better fit for the quiet spoken, calculating Vito, while Pacino is a better fit for the simmering, volatile, Micheal.

On Damon, many have said they had a problem with that whole plotline, I'd agree. Its probably more down to crazy writing than anything else. The saviour of humanity, the smartest man on earth and he manages to blow up his ship while making a bollox out of the docking maneuver! Yes, I know he's supposed to be gone mad, he's turned to the dark side. Even more reason to have McCon playing that imo!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

In that case Bale would've been good as the steady but intense Cooper role. However I think he'd play it very similarly to his Bruce Wayne, though its a tough one to call. Like, I fear we would have seen him play that role before.

I liked Damon in the role, thought he was strong when he first appeared and I didn't suspect he would go "evil" - though when they were out hiking and he was walking behind him I remember a feeling of.. "hang on...". I began to get suspicious.

Someone like Edward Norton could've done that well - a skinny, angrier Norton - but that might have been too obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

In that case Bale would've been good as the steady but intense Cooper role. However I think he'd play it very similarly to his Bruce Wayne, though its a tough one to call. Like, I fear we would have seen him play that role before.

I liked Damon in the role, thought he was strong when he first appeared and I didn't suspect he would go "evil" - though when they were out hiking and he was walking behind him I remember a feeling of.. "hang on...". I began to get suspicious.

Someone like Edward Norton could've done that well - a skinny, angrier Norton - but that might have been too obvious.

Yeah, Bale would have been a good choice for it too. He was very possibly top of Nolan's list given he obviously like to keep working with the same actors repeatedly.

Interesting perspective on Damon actually. Maybe it was a masterstroke to cast someone the audience probably expected to be a dependable, honest character only for him to betray everyone. Personally, I felt like it was against type. But again, I think my problem with Damon was more down to the crowbaring in of drama. I was thinking during the brawl scene, "these guys really shouldnt want to start a fistfight out here :confused:"

Edward Norton is a great call. You could really see him as a gifted scientist who goes bat shít.

Agricola wrote: »
    Yeah, Bale would have been a good choice for it too. He was very possibly top of Nolan's list given he obviously like to keep working with the same actors repeatedly.

Interesting perspective on Damon actually. Maybe it was a masterstroke to cast someone the audience probably expected to be a dependable, honest character only for him to betray everyone. Personally, I felt like it was against type. But again, I think my problem with Damon was more down to the crowbaring in of drama. I was thinking during the brawl scene, "these guys really shouldnt want to start a fistfight out here :confused:"

Edward Norton is a great call. You could really see him as a gifted scientist who goes bat shít.
    I think it's a bit tiring to typecast people so i was pleasantly surprised to see Damons character lose it. He was trapped very far from humanity after all and had lost all hope for rescue. Edward Norton would have been great in Damons place but his edgy ways would give the game away far sooner. Far more predictable i think. Would the movie be the worse for it? Hardly measurably i would say.
    People could split hairs over this for a long time! For what?

Yeah, Ed Norton actually is a great actor that gets overlooked a lot. Maybe it's down to himself, because he really does have the talent to play big parts, but he should get chances to play big parts in at least supporting roles in large budget movies like this.

I honestly thought Damon was fantastic in this

I honestly thought Damon was fantastic in this

The only part, or line lol, I didn't like his delivery of was "those are the best odds I've had in years"...kind of came across as an attempt at silly humour like in marvel movies even though it definitely wasn't

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Back from the cinema.

What a frustrating movie. So much to like and so much bad stuff.

Some fantastically amazing sequences, absolutely nailed the space exploration, loss, messages from the past and the jaw dropping suspense and action of the docking. Some of the score was excellent too. Also I loved the robots.

Hathaway wasn't a stupid character in my book. Adult Murph was though - jesus.

Many failings though overall. Way much exposition for some parts and then just a big leap of faith towards the end with the ark station and the equations. First earthbound part of the film was woeful. Matt Damon sequence was handled pretty poorly, I thought if he explained all of his reasoning whilst leaving them stranded would have been much more effective than some silly violence and chase. Soundtrack was way over the top in much of the movie - I have the emotional intelligence to understand the reactions people have in various situations without being heavy handedly hammered by the score. It cheapens those moments.
    Also there were a few bits where I couldn't make out the dialogue but they were few and far between, in fairness though to Nolan there has been much complaining about this in the Batman films and he really should sort this kind of thing out.

Overall though I liked it more than I was annoyed by it. Whilst definitely not my favourite Nolan film (Memento), it's one of his better ones and probably on par with Inception. Great spectacle let down a sizeable minority of flimsy bits.

Waaaay better than Gravity in my book.

• Advertisement

the wormhole was gone, it was said in the film afaik. as to how he can get back to Brand?

Advertisement