Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interstellar (Christopher Nolan) *SPOILERS FROM POST 458 ONWARDS*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Also there were a few bits where I couldn't make out the dialogue but they were few and far between, in fairness though to Nolan there has been much complaining about this in the Batman films and he really should sort this kind of thing out.

Not to get down on the guy (but **** it I will anyways)

If this is meant to be a sort of stylistic tick, he's one seriously pretencious director. There's a difference between having immersing an audience in straining to understand something (which is something I wish Hollywood would do more often) and not being physically hear the thing so that an audience can even get the basic information to understand in the 1st place. The problems with Nolan is I often feel they have this exhalted feeling in the media before hand and people love for **** that's not there. One wonders of the hammering of the music is just way of masking something.

Here's how you sound design that makes you lean forward, total immersion:#

David Fincher on the other hand is such a non BS in the way he works and the stories he tells, he makes masterpieces, that sort of shuffle off quietly in the media relative to Nolan and the man makes it look effortless (which it clearly isn't, the man works like Kubrick), there is little straining like there is with Nolan. It's hard to explain, but so obvious at the same time. If anybody could do a sci-fi film that gets under peoples skin, makng people uncomfortable, it's him. It rarely feels like he's imitating either. He has this strange chilled 80's almost Blade Runner like style that is sort of Kubrick reincarnated at times tackling a wide variety of ideas and doing so subversively you hardly notice it. I would be hesitant in calling anyone doing mainstream movies "a true genius", but whatever it is, he has it.

That is what is frustrating about Interstellar for me, is that having watched Gone Girl the week before in which nothing felt out of place. Everything was where it should be.

I suppose right now in Hollywood we fawn over the fact anybody makes a good sci-film (that isn't a franchise movie) when they were tumbling out over each other in the 70's, 80's and were cheaper to make and expectations lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Loved it.

Immense movie with an immense vision

Film of the year for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Squeedily Spooch

Adamantium wrote: »

If this is meant to be a sort of stylistic tick, he's one seriously pretencious director. There's a difference between having immersing an audience in straining to understand something (which is something I wish Hollywood would do more often) and not being physically hear the thing so that an audience can even get the basic information to understand in the 1st place. The problems with Nolan is I often feel they have this exhalted feeling in the media before hand and people love for **** that's not there. One wonders of the hammering of the music is just way of masking something.

David Fincher on the other hand is such a non BS in the way he works and the stories he tells, he makes masterpieces, that sort of shuffle off quietly in the media relative to Nolan and the man makes it look effortless (which it clearly isn't, the man works like Kubrick), there is little straining like there is with Nolan. It's hard to explain, but so obvious at the same time. If anybody could do a sci-fi film that gets under peoples skin, makng people uncomfortable, it's him. It rarely feels like he's imitating either. He has this strange chilled 80's almost Blade Runner like style that is sort of Kubrick reincarnated at times tackling a wide variety of ideas and doing so subversively you hardly notice it. I would be hesitant in calling anyone doing mainstream movies "a true genius", but whatever it is, he has it.

That is what is frustrating about Interstellar for me, is that having watched Gone Girl the week before in which nothing felt out of place. Everything was where it should be.

I suppose right now in Hollywood we fawn over the fact anybody makes a good sci-film (that isn't a franchise movie) when they were tumbling out over each other in the 70's, 80's and were cheaper to make and expectations lower.

Completely agree about Fincher, while he's had his own missteps and divisive films, when I first heard about Facebook: The Movie I groaned, yet it turned out to be one of the best films of the last few years. Wasn't a fan of Girl With The Dragon Tattoo but I thought Gone Girl was a brilliant mess. Zodiac is still his masterpiece imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Why don't some reviewers just actually write movies? They criticise the smallest things in some movies and it makes you wonder why they don't go and write a flawless movie themselves lol? If you're capable of pointing out flaws in movies you should be capable of preventing them in one
    Some people are just better at writing about something than doing it. Look at Roger Ebert, amazing writer and deserving winner of a Pulitzer prize but the one screenplay he did write is far from a classic by any means.

I'll never understand the "well what movies have you written?!" defense though. You don't need to have made a movie to have an opinion on one, as a thread like this clearly shows. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Obviously my post is being misinterpreted. Everyone's allowed to have opinions on everything and movies are open to criticism, I clearly said "the smallest things".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

If anyone loves their hard sci-fi in the same cold style of 2001, watch Europa Report.
    There is no power of love themes in that. Warning: It's very hard sci-fi

Also it's
    ****ing terrifying as it builds and builds, it has the creeping dread of Jaws
    looks amazingdespite being made on a tight budget and captures the endless isolation of space perfectly. Nothing in it comes convenient, even to the scientists/astronauts acting like the world class professionals they are (one of the few times when you think "Ah now this is how it would go down and how they would react" in delight. There is zero stupidity. The less I say the better, but god damn what a wonderful slow burn of a film.

Deserved a huge release.

It also backs away from the whole Carl Sagan starry eyed look of the universe
    ( which ironically makes what transpires even more brave and wonderous)

It's a partly found footage film using the onboard cameras on astronauts suits and the ship itself, but that isn't a bad thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

+1 on Europa report - great film

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I have to say that I thought it was very good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Adamantium wrote: »

Nolan has never hid from his films taking inspiration from or "imitating" other films, in fact he speaks about it openly. Blade Runner, Heat, and Prince of the City for example being the inspiration for the TDK trilogy, so I'm not sure if it's something he can be criticised for.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

This was one of the most emotionally engaging films I have gone to see in years. I was enthralled by the space exploration elements; I was a nervous wreck during some of the set pieces; I laughed at the interactions between Coop and the 'robot slaves'; and I must admit I was taken in by the love themes, mostly down to McConaughey's superb performance. I was exhausted coming out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Nolan has never hid from his films taking inspiration from or "imitating" other films, in fact he speaks about it openly. Blade Runner, Heat, and Prince of the City for example being the inspiration for the TDK trilogy, so I'm not sure if it's something he can be criticised for.

In general it's certainly not a bad thing at all, however I had problems with it in Interstellar. Several times I found myself saying to myself, "Oh, that's just like 2001". Coming out of the movie I concluded that while it was a very good movie it could never be a great movie because it leaned too much on great movies.
    In many ways I think the movie missed an opportunity to be truely its own thing.

Also, as above I'm a hard sci-fi fan so I'm always going to be critical about technical things. On the other hand I had no problems with the inaudible sound and thought it was great.

Have had Apollo 13 downloaded for ages and still haven't watched it so that and now Europa Report are on my to watch list, as well as 2001: a space odysey. Any other good suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

It's a decent film and an enjoyable two hours in the cinema.

But far too many plot holes. Even without getting too much into the hard sci-fi of it, the film fails to stay consistent in its own logic. It is also shamelessly manipulative of the audience's emotions at times.

The obvious 'gravitification' also costs it points in my eyes. You can imagine the suits telling Nolan he needs a few gravity like scenes in the film and he duly obliges.

Bottom line. Decent outing at the cinema but ultimately very forgettable. He has done much better work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Have had Apollo 13 downloaded for ages and still haven't watched it so that and now Europa Report are on my to watch list, as well as 2001: a space odysey. Any other good suggestions?
    I would think 2010 would be the obvious one? It's no 2001, but not a bad little movie. Silent Running would be another classic, reasonably coherent, SF movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Player 2

Saw this yesterday, and, off the very top of my head, I'd put it somewhere near the lower end of my preferred Christopher Nolan films*

1. Memento
    2. The Dark Knight
    3. Inception
    4. The Prestige
    5. Insomnia
    6. Interstellar
    7. Batman Begins
    8. The Dark Knight Rises

That said; personally, I think that's a great collection of films to be part of; and Interstellar outweighs a lot of what I've seen over the past few months.

*(Open to interpretation, depending on mood / what else I've seen that week / direction of the wind that day, etc)

My Nolan list would be:
    The Prestige (ruined by he very last scene having "real" magic in it)
    Memento.
    Insomnia.

I hated Inception, which was an illogical pseudoscience mess. His Batman movies are great spectacle, but are pretty trivial superhero fare at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Watch those 3 first! Then Sunshine and Event Horizon. They all set the bar really high for sci fi imo

Dempsey wrote: »
    Watch those 3 first! Then Sunshine and Event Horizon. They all set the bar really high for sci fi imo

Have seen sunshine. I'm sceptical about the more 'horror' type sci fis to be honest because I'm a fukin pussy lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    My Nolan list would be:
    The Prestige (ruined by he very last scene having "real" magic in it)
    Memento.
    Insomnia.

I hated Inception, which was an illogical pseudoscience mess. His Batman movies are great spectacle, but are pretty trivial superhero fare at the end of the day.

Oh come on Batman Begins and Dark knight changed the Superhero genre around and are beyond standard fare. they are the pinnacle for many of the genre. I hate the snobbish view by many that superhero movies are beneath them. I disagree with you totally about the ending ruining The Prestige, it's still one of the best films of the 00's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Contact. One of my favorite movies and probably my favorite space movie.

• Advertisement

Looper007 wrote: »
    Oh come on Batman Begins and Dark knight changed the Superhero genre around and are beyond standard fare. they are the pinnacle for many of the genre. I hate the snobbish view by many that superhero movies are beneath them. I disagree with you totally about the ending ruining The Prestige, it's still one of the best films of the 00's.
    Nope, looked like pretty standard superhero fare to me. No discernable difference from Spiderman, the identikit X-Men etc fare. Watchmen and V For Vendetta broke far more ground.
    Apologies that pigeonholing me as a superhero movie hater hasn't worked for you!
    And my criticism of the Prestige is 100% intact. All the meticulous cleverness evaporated in an instant when the impossible machine works at the end. It looked like he just ran out of ideas.

Have seen sunshine. I'm sceptical about the more 'horror' type sci fis to be honest because I'm a fukin pussy lol
    Event Horizon is a cracker. It's very much Hellraiser in space, but the leads are fantastic and the gruesome bits are fairly disturbing. Sunshine was awesome then pants for the obvious reason.

Ha, man up its well worth the watch!.

When I think about it, I'm off to watch it again. I dont like the modern horror flicks, most are dumb and cheap scares. This is good sci fi but also a good horror flick. You wont be disappointed.

Dempsey wrote: »
    Ha, man up its well worth the watch!.

When I think about it, I'm off to watch it again. I dont like the modern horror flicks, most are dumb and cheap scares. This is good sci fi but also a good horror flick. You wont be disappointed.

Haha aw man I just googled it and there's a PIC of a fuking dead guy with a pipe going through his head and maggots crawling on him, chrisht above

Haha aw man I just googled it and there's a PIC of a fuking dead guy with a pipe going through his head and maggots crawling on him, chrisht above

Stop looking at spoilers and watch the film proper. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Cargo and Solaris are two decent Sci- Fis. Event Horizon was good in an 80s kitch horror kind of way. All the Alien films - varying degrees of quality there but still great.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0381940/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I just watched the trailer for Europa Report, it looks interesting. I'll have to try and get it on DVD. Another one that looks good is Moon. Have any of you guys seen that one?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

europa report is worth checking out......i thought it was good, short but good

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

My Nolan list would be:
    The Prestige
    (ruined by he very last scene having "real" magic in it)
    Memento.
    Insomnia.

Spoiler texting for the benefit of those who haven't seen The Prestige yet, but that's an unfair claim given that
    the very first scene in the film is a product of 'magic'. We learn the truth in reverse, in that manner of the fractured narrative that was quite common with early Nolan films, but imo you can't ruin a film whose entire premise depended on the notion of magic as a by-product of an invention by Nicholas Tesla
    . It's like saying Jurassic Park was ruined by the dinosaurs!
    ror_74 wrote: »
    Cargo and Solaris are two decent Sci- Fis. Event Horizon was good in 80s kitch horror kind of way. All the Alien films - varying degrees of quality there but still great.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0381940/

I've heard Cargo is supposed to be quite good - this is the German language film we're talking about, yeah?

Sunshine gets my vote as one of the best generally-unseen gems in Sci-Fi of the last 10 years. Yeah the problems with the third act are well documented and debated, but I think it's over-emphasised and nowhere near the film breaker that some might claim. Formulaic, sure, but it doesn't detract from a genuinely fantastic film

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Squeedily Spooch

Nope, looked like pretty standard superhero fare to me. No discernable difference from Spiderman, the identikit X-Men etc fare. Watchmen and V For Vendetta broke far more ground.
    Apologies that pigeonholing me as a superhero movie hater hasn't worked for you!
    And my criticism of the Prestige is 100% intact. All the meticulous cleverness evaporated in an instant when the impossible machine works at the end. It looked like he just ran out of ideas.

But the machine working is told to the audience literally in the first five minutes of the movie, the entire point of The Prestige is looking for a more elaborate explanation when the illusion is quite simple. Cutter even says it about the machine "most disappointing of all, there is no illusion, it's real". The viewer spends the entire film trying to figure out the trick when it's simply not a trick at all.

I think The Prestige is hands down Nolan's best film, the editing is brilliant in it. Flashbacks withing flashbacks but you never lose track of the timeline or what's going on.

Advertisement