Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interstellar (Christopher Nolan) *SPOILERS FROM POST 458 ONWARDS*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

I was stuffing my face with popcorn, when the scene switches to the Endurance on its approach to Saturn, and the cinema is completely silent. Not a whisper. I couldn't finish the mouthful as chewing seemed really really loud. Seemed to go on forever, and my mouth was watering. Start to do the cough/laugh thing that you do in this situation. I'm sure someone thought I was weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

Great film.

People are very anal about plot holes in christopher nolan films, probably because of there often complex plot points.

But seriously there are 1000's of documentaries on the subject out there if you want an accurate description of space travel, I dont think a hollywood movie is an acceptable platform for hardcore theoretical physics. Just enjoy the film for what it is, an entertaining sci-fi epic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

I was stuffing my face with popcorn, when the scene switches to the Endurance on its approach to Saturn, and the cinema is completely silent. Not a whisper. I couldn't finish the mouthful as chewing seemed really really loud. Seemed to go on forever, and my mouth was watering. Start to do the cough/laugh thing that you do in this situation. I'm sure someone thought I was weird.

Hate being near people like you during movies

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Come on folks, you're on a film discussion forum with a bunch of people passionate and knowledgable about cinema. 'Just enjoy it' isn't going to cut it - thinking critically about a film is hardly a bad thing, and if you think it is then I'm not sure what you're hoping to get out of this thread :) lots of people have had a whole spectrum of responses to the film - respect that, whether you loved it, hated it or found yourself somewhere between.

Just for the record, I do think plot hole nitpicking is one of the weakest forms of film criticism. It's not like Interstellar doesn't offer up some other, more glaring script concerns then a few gaps anyway ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

Come on folks, you're on a film discussion forum with a bunch of people passionate and knowledgable about cinema. 'Just enjoy it' isn't going to cut it - thinking critically about a film is hardly a bad thing, and if you think it is then I'm not sure what you're hoping to get out of this thread :)
    )

For the record my post wasnt saying 'just enjoy it' I said to enjoy (or dont for that matter) the film as just that, a film, and not as a piece of physics canon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

I think there's a difference between being critical of things like exposition, sound editing, slow/boring start, some parts being rushed - most of which I'd agree with to an extent.
    And then complaining about scientific mistakes in the movie when people with much much more knowledge on the matters say otherwise. Or people just coming in and saying "there was too many plot holes, bad movie". List the plot holes please and discuss them..

Hate being near people like you during movies

Eh, you mean people eating popcorn? Don't go to the cinema then.

:confused:

Eh, you mean people eating popcorn? Don't go to the cinema then.

:confused:

People who will be stuffing their faces with no care about the noise they're making until a quiet part in the movie comes and you finally show some bit of regard for the people around you and try to be quieter which just makes it awkward because as soon as the movies back to being loud you carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

People who will be stuffing their faces with no care about the noise they're making until a quiet part in the movie comes

To be fair he could have been playing a trumpet beside you for parts of that movie and you wouldn't have heard it over the soundtrack.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

It's been officially released, downloaded it off Google Play a while ago.
    No Need to Come Back is my favorite track atm.

It's been officially released, downloaded it off Google Play a while ago.
    No Need to Come Back is my favorite track atm.

Apparently the music from the reattachment scene isn't on the album, is that true?

People who will be stuffing their faces with no care about the noise they're making until a quiet part in the movie comes and you finally show some bit of regard for the people around you and try to be quieter which just makes it awkward because as soon as the movies back to being loud you carry on.

I think you're getting a bit carried away here. The scene right before it was a rocket blasting around louder than anything I have ever heard in a cinema before. I think its socially acceptable to eat popcorn at that point. I couldn't possibly have predicted the contrast in volume in the next scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

One track I can't stop listening to:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Apparently the music from the reattachment scene isn't on the album, is that true?

Seems to be a slightly different version than the one played during the movie - lacks a certain punch or intensity I remember from that scene. Maybe I just need to turn the volume up! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Just gave the soundtrack a listen on Google Play Music. Fantastic soundtrack. Lot of highlights in it but "Detach" stands out for me.

I'm not sure if it's a soundtrack that is enjoyable to listen to by itself, but I feel that way about most Zimmerman soundtracks. They go really really well with the movie, but without watching the movie at the same time they lack a lot of suspense and momentum.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Just back from the film.

Thought it was excellent. Great show

Midday at the movies is the kiddy!

Falthyron wrote: »

Seems to be a slightly different version than the one played during the movie - lacks a certain punch or intensity I remember from that scene. Maybe I just need to turn the volume up! :P

No that's not it, the comment on there's right, that's the music from the part where Mann and Coop are gone off and fight. Hopefully someone finds this, tempted to go see it a 3rd time just for that part again lol

This song from the 3rd trailer is also one of my new favourites, I hadn't heard it until after the movie because I never watched trailer #3

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

shedweller wrote: »
    Exactly. Yet other more earthly based movies get rave reviews! Seems to me some people just cant cope with some movies. Have to pick holes in them for whatever reason. Meh. I thought Interstellar really brought the concept of interstellar travel out in the open so people could see what its all about and its implications.
    My 8-10 year old boys loved it and had many many questions to ask on the way home that evening! My 8 year old knows what a generation ship is ffs!! Knows about time slowing as you go faster etc etc. He didnt pick this up from movies aimed at 8 year olds i can tell you!
    To the holes-in-the-plot lads i say go cry somewhere else. This was a fantastic film that promotes thought in people and may just inspire some to do greater things. Spending your time looking for and labouring over holes, however small, in the plot is simply wasting your precious time. Enjoy it for what it is and move on.

When an average and weak film like interstellar gets so highly lauded it shows just how far mainstream cinema has fallen.

If you're feelings are hurt because people didn't universally like a film you think they should have then go cry elsewhere.

I didn't go into the cinema looking for plot holes. My time is precious to me. I enjoyed the film up to the point. And the plot holes were part of what spoiled the experience.

Accept the opinions of others for what they are and move on.

• Advertisement

Memnoch wrote: »

I didn't go into the cinema looking for plot holes. My time is precious to me. I enjoyed the film up to the point. And the plot holes were part of what spoiled the experience.

Accept the opinions of others for what they are and move on.

What were the plot holes that ruined it for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I'm not sure if it's a soundtrack that is enjoyable to listen to by itself, but I feel that way about most Zimmerman soundtracks. They go really really well with the movie, but without watching the movie at the same time they lack a lot of suspense and momentum.

I disagree. I think the soundtrack to Inception is fantastic but it doesn't really suit the scenes, especially at the end. Then again I didn't like Inception so maybe that has something to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

What were the plot holes that ruined it for you?

And so the cycle continues lol. You can't win in this thread, if you go in depth with your problems you're all but called a joyless pedant and when you don't your called on to expand on what you mean by plot holes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Just to be clear on the Neil DeGrasse Tyson comments: he has a prominent role in the promotion of scientific literacy. That means he will welcome films like Interstellar and will not be likely to criticize publicly in any meaningful way. Same goes for Kip Thorne. You'll also notice in his remarks that he would be definitely not heading in the direction of a black hole.

And so the cycle continues lol. You can't win in this thread, if you go in depth with your problems you're all but called a joyless pedant and when you don't your called on to expand on what you mean by plot holes.

Just as long as whatever plot holes people point out aren't things that were basically verified by people like Neil deGrasse Tyson and Kip Thorne it's fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Gregk961 wrote: »
    Great film.

People are very anal about plot holes in christopher nolan films, probably because of there often complex plot points.

But seriously there are 1000's of documentaries on the subject out there if you want an accurate description of space travel, I dont think a hollywood movie is an acceptable platform for hardcore theoretical physics. Just enjoy the film for what it is, an entertaining sci-fi epic.

He's a victim of his own success and very few if any of his peers are held to the same level of scrutiny.

Interstellar isn't perfect and I did find myself saying "ah here" in the last 20 or 30 minutes. But at that stage I was willing to just go with the flow of a film that I felt immersed by for the previous 2 plus hours.

I admire Nolan for the sheer balls of the story he was trying to tell for its sheer originality and the places he was willing to go with the ideas put forth.

In an industry that's increasingly becoming all about finding a formula to tell the same boring story while making money, Interstellar simply blew me away as I knew I was watching something truly unique that wouldn't be duplicated.

He's a victim of his own success and very few if any of his peers are held to the same level of scrutiny.

Interstellar isn't perfect and I did find myself saying "ah here" in the last 20 or 30 minutes. But at that stage I was willing to just go with the flow of a film that I felt immersed by for the previous 2 plus hours.

I admire Nolan for the sheer balls of the story he was trying to tell for its sheer originality and the places he was willing to go with the ideas put forth.

In an industry that's increasingly becoming all about finding a formula to tell the same boring story while making money, Interstellar simply blew me away as I knew I was watching something truly unique that wouldn't be duplicated.

Will only get worse from here too, which is why I'm really looking forward to seeing what him and his brother do next. Some people say there could be a sequel to interstellar but hopefully he doesn't become one of those guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

It was pretty formulaic. Standard structure, hero's quest. Internal and external need. Weak attempt at forced subtext to greater meaning 'love'. Standard effort to emulate another successful film's set pieces (gravity). About as Hollywood formula as they come.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Yeah I was the same. It's still one of the most memorable films I've seen in years though.

• Advertisement

I'm just trying to discuss the movie..
    So many people just shout "plot hole" without saying what they are.

Advertisement