Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interstellar (Christopher Nolan) *SPOILERS FROM POST 458 ONWARDS*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Found the first hour the best part of the film. Thought the last two dragged. For some reason I find McConaughy irritating to watch, not a big fan of his. Overall a decent film but thats about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Warper wrote: »
    Found the first hour the best part of the film. Thought the last two dragged. For some reason I find McConaughy irritating to watch, not a big fan of his. Overall a decent film but thats about it.

I used to actually have a strong dislike for him, mostly because of the accent, but over the last few years he's become one of my favourite actors alongside Bale and DiCaprio

• Registered Users Posts: 7,362 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

ktulu123 wrote: »
    It's my most listened to soundtrack, A Small Measure of Peace or Idyls End are my fav tracks. My fav's on Interstellar are probably: Mountains, Stay, Coward & detach.

Yup I meant to post that actually, fairly decent job of it that will do until we get the real one :)

I spent most of today listening to it. Really is a quality piece of work.

Parts of the film it felt a little overpowering, but listening back, it's excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I used to actually have a strong dislike for him, mostly because of the accent, but over the last few years he's become one of my favourite actors alongside Bale and DiCaprio

I used to dislike him because he did a lot of cheesy chick flicks where all he was good for was taking his shirt off. Thankfully he started taking on more serious roles.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

I used to dislike him because he did a lot of cheesy chick flicks where all he was good for was taking his shirt off. Thankfully he started taking on more serious roles.

FOOLS GOLD IS A FANTASTIC MOVIE* :p

*I want a yacht

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

There's no question he's been a revelation over the last couple of years. But there was something about him in this film that seemed off, I can't quite put my finger on it.

I have another question that's been bugging me. The whole business of Cooper turning up at the NASA site like he did...surely for a massively important and long mission like that they would have had to have had a pilot in place as it would have taken several months, at least, to train for it. Yet, after Cooper turns up it barely seems like a few days have passed before he's blasting into orbit.

There's no question he's been a revelation over the last couple of years. But there was something about him in this film that seemed off, I can't quite put my finger on it.

I have another question that's been bugging me. The whole business of Cooper turning up at the NASA site like he did...surely for a massively important and long mission like that they would have had to have had a pilot in place as it would have taken several months, at least, to train for it. Yet, after Cooper turns up it barely seems like a few days have passed before he's blasting into orbit.

The whole usual training sequence was skipped purposely, it cuts from him leaving the house straight to the ship as a way of entering into a new 'chapter'

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭danrua01

Yet, after Cooper turns up it barely seems like a few days have passed before he's blasting into orbit.

Well we don't know how much time has passed. We already know he was a trained pilot/astronaut - Michael Caine had said he was unknowingly trained for the mission- so it wouldn't have been necessary to show that. I like the way they did it, very emotional.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

danrua01 wrote: »
    Well we don't know how much time has passed. We already know he was a trained pilot/astronaut - Michael Caine had said he was unknowingly trained for the mission- so it wouldn't have been necessary to show that. I like the way they did it, very emotional.

Shoulda had a training montage...

PaulieC wrote: »
    Shoulda had a training montage...

Someone should edit whatever clips they can find of McConnaughy working out and training and back it with that south park montage song and seemlessly add it in as part of the movie before uploading it as a torrent...thousands of peoples minds will be blown

• Advertisement

couldve improved with matthew mccon-shirtoff walkin around the ship/planet at the end lookin' at the ladies and saying "thats what i love about space travel, they get older and i stay the same ageee ohh yeah"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭orubiru

You can see from the moment in the conference room when he tells them how he received the coordinates that NASA thought "they" had specifically selected Cooper. Hence the willingness to throw him in.

Cooper himself actually makes the same objection in the movie "you only met me a few hours ago and now you want me to be your pilot?"

As we find out at the end, Cooper actually selected himself by sending the coordinates back through time...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Completely o/t but what was the favour that Gandalf did for the Eagles that they owed him one does anyone know?

Thargor wrote: »
    Completely o/t but what was the favour that Gandalf did for the Eagles that they owed him one does anyone know?

Years before The Hobbit Gandalf saved the leader of the eagles, Gwaihir the Windlord, from a poisoned arrow. In gratitude, Gwaihir and his companions save the dwarves from wargs and orcs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

danrua01 wrote: »
    couldve improved with matthew mccon-shirtoff walkin around the ship/planet at the end lookin' at the ladies and saying "thats what i love about space travel, they get older and i stay the same ageee ohh yeah"

I can't believe there hasnt been a meme created about that yet. Genius!!

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

Bacchus wrote: »
    I know right!! Yet another sh*theap of a movie from Nolan to join his ranks of sh*theaps like The Prestige, Inception, Memento & the Batman trilogy. Don't get me started on Zimmer either, probably definitely the worst composer of his generation. Who does he think he is trying to use music to pull at the heartstrings. How they hell are these guys still working. Who even likes this cr*p. I guess there's a lot of masochists out there with money to burn. You're right too about Caine, what a nothing actor, didn't look like he was even trying... that's not what acting is about! What a sh*t piece of casting too putting that guy from Sahara as the lead! He's a Brendan Fraser wannabe.

Hurting much? Look, this had a number of problems but it seemed to do the trick for you - great. And I shouldn't bite but for example, Caine is just a poor/lazy casting decision, nothing to do with Caine himself. He's just a crutch for Nolan to use these days when he needs to tell the audience what's happening. But I don't blame Caine for taking that paycheck.

Anyway, it's telling that even the people who liked/loved this still have a good few reservations about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

vidor wrote: »
    Hurting much? Look, this had a number of problems but it seemed to do the trick for you - great. And I shouldn't bite but for example, Caine is just a poor/lazy casting decision, nothing to do with Caine himself. He's just a crutch for Nolan to use these days when he needs to tell the audience what's happening. But I don't blame Caine for taking that paycheck.

Anyway, it's telling that even the people who liked/loved this still have a good few reservations about it.

I absolutely loved it and have no reservations about it at all. It was not only one of the best cinema experiences I've ever had but also one of the best movies I've seen. It's only from reading comments here that I noticed some of the issues people had but to be honest, none of them would detract from me enjoying the movie again, which is what I tried to do last night having booked a ticket, only to spend 30 minutes driving around a car park looking for a space.

I had to give up in the end and go home :(

I can't believe there hasnt been a meme created about that yet. Genius!!

I'm not the genius the board needs, but I'm the genius the board gets....!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Somebody heard you.

tumblr_nfbi2qF0qj1st3pboo1_500.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/dygueoB.jpg

hahaha ohh yesss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

So much, I went a second time just to feel the pain once more. I never thought of it like that either, Caine was such an obvious choice for the role. Jim Carey would have been a more daring direction to with that character. I'm with you though, the hypocrisy of people to claim they enjoyed a movie on the one hand and then say it is not without fault on the other! Who are they kidding. Not us anyway, eh Vidor.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

Is every post of yours going to be some hyperbolic drivel?

Finally got to see this last night and am looking forward to going again in the next few days. I stayed up quite late last night reading through 40 pages of this thread, oh my god talk about differing opinions! In fact, if a higher being asked to see evidence of the subjective nature of the human mind, I would offer this thread up as prime evidence!

I'll post my own 'review' of the movie later, but the one thing that has confused my mind more than anything that happened in the movie is the amount of time people in this thread have wasted debating the movie with someone who hasn't even seen it. It was an entertaining read alright, but I couldn't believe it at the same time!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I actually thought he was very likeable in this film. I never thought I'd say that about him.
    The whole usual training sequence was skipped purposely, it cuts from him leaving the house straight to the ship as a way of entering into a new 'chapter'

Yeah I'm glad they did it that way. The film was long enough without adding a training sequence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

Goodshape wrote: »
    Both films received a signal from deep space, went looking for it, fell into a wormhole, transcended time and space and ultimately revealed a possible evolution of the species. Everything else in Interstellar was just Hollywood guff, and 2001 simply took it's sweet time with what it had.
    I agree with you Goodshape, but I would argue that 2001: A Space Odyssey is greatly enhanced by reading the novel. Kubrick and Clarke always wanted the book to explain the inexplicable in the movie and there is far more exposition about the nature of the obelisk, its purpose, and ultimately its effects on mankind. I felt there were details in Interstellar that were lifted specifically from the book. That is not a criticism, however, I really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Is every post of yours going to be some hyperbolic drivel?

Ok straight up so.

Why did you go see this when you clearly hate Nolans work and expected disappointment? Was it just so you could on here to rag on it? That's the impression your first post gave.

As for Zimmer, do you really believe it was "*****y" of him to use music to build emotion? Excellent score from him too. Again, you seen to have a previous hate of him so I wonder why you went to a Nolan movie with Zimmer scoring if not to just piss over it.

How was casting one of the greatest living actors "lazy casting". I also don't get your comment that he just "walked through" the performance. Acting is supposed to appear effortless. I thought he played the role to a tee.

And finally, how is it "telling" that people can enjoy a movie but find fault with it? Would you prefer everyone just either hated it 100% or loved it 100%?

I really enjoyed it. It's not flawless though, Hathaway was weak. The Mann reveal was a tad too obvious, though I enjoyed the ruse with the robots. I thought they were gonna go all HAL. The ending lacked a punch too. Overall though, very enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Wanted to really like it but thought it was average (I love Sci Fi btw), last 30 minutes were really good, the rest average. 3/5.

The docking scene music is released, it's called "No Time For Caution"

Can't find it on YouTube yet but any iTunes users who want to can buy it. Thought it was gonna be released for free, at least for people who'd bought the album already

• Registered Users Posts: 15,111 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

• Advertisement

McDermotX wrote: »

Das it. Even though it'll be through YouTube, I'll wait to listen to it on surround headphones

Advertisement