Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interstellar (Christopher Nolan) *SPOILERS FROM POST 458 ONWARDS*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭beardo81

danrua01 wrote: »
    Unnecessary...

I have a 55" and it does the job just fine.

I'm thinking she might enjoy the few extra inches too... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭beardo81

Amazing how far home entertainment has come. I saw TDKR in a rubbish cinema in Balbriggan and was underwhelmed (very poor screen) but when I watched the bluray at home on my 42" TV I was well impressed.

I've a feeling Interstellar could be the same experience for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

And I'm really impressed how much the prices have come down on the 50" TVs .... I have a 40" now - I might get a 48" ..

sorry, one question I remember this from the trailers but did Micheal Caine say " we must confront the reality that nothing in the solar system can help us" in the film ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Nope he said this: "We must confront the realities of interstellar travel."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

beardo81 wrote: »
    Amazing how far home entertainment has come. I saw TDKR in a rubbish cinema in Balbriggan and was underwhelmed (very poor screen) but when I watched the bluray at home on my 42" TV I was well impressed.

I've a feeling Interstellar could be the same experience for me.

Save the BluRay for Xmas 2015 and watch it in a virtual IMAX cinema in the Oculus Rift VR headset or if you own a Samsung Note4, in a GearVR headset when the BluRay is released.

Skip to 2:50

(Home-Cinema, commercial Cinema, Lunar Surface Cinema)

If it doesn't 'click' why this is so good, think of it like this. I have several screens in my house. A 24" monitor I sit 24-36" from, a 42" Plasma I sit about 6' from, a 100" projection screen I sit about 13' from. The screen size to seating distance ratio is broadly similar and thus the angular field of view of the screen in my vision is nearly the same. All 3 screen sizes fill the same area in my field of vision. Why then is the projection screen the most impactful? It's actually the scale of the objects and surroundings around the screen give it the sense of scale. The Virtual screen in the virtual Theater fills that same amount of my field of vision yet it genuinely feels like one is looking at a 60' wide 40' tall screen in a huge auditorium. It'll be about €400 so massively cheaper than a decent projector, perfect contrast levels and pure blacks from the OLED screen, don't need to set up the PJ and screen or pull the curtains during the day, perfect full brightness 3D movies with no crosstalk etc etc. large screen manufacturers are crying into their cornflakes cause the game is nearly up for them.

If the first iteration of the Oculus Rift (CV1) has a 4k screen inside then we are good to go from the getgo. Otherwise if the first version has a 1440p screen then it will still be great but the PQ won't match the expectations of the 1080p projection crowd and they won't be entirely happy and ready to retire their projectors till a CV2 Rift with a 4K screen. The reason for this is not all the panel pixels are used to draw the screen surface itself. Thus a 1440 panel rift will approximately replicate the PQ of a real life 720p screen and it takes a 3840x2160p 4k panel to replicate the PQ of a real life 1080p which is where most people are happy enough and the law of diminishing returns kicks in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

That's actually amazing. And that's an early version lol.

Just back from Interstellar in the BFI. Mother of God that cinema is amazing & the film was even more awesome in it. 4th time I've seen it now & sadly probably the last in the cinema. Will wait for the bluRay.

Going to make sure I have a trip to London sorted for the star wars film next year to see it there.

Christopher Nolan's next movie may possibly be a movie adaptation of 2011 Sci-Fi Novel 'Ready Player One'. But, other directors like Robert Zemeckis, Edgar Weight and Peter Jackson are also being mentioned.

ktulu123 wrote: »
    Just back from Interstellar in the BFI. Mother of God that cinema is amazing & the film was even more awesome in it. 4th time I've seen it now & sadly probably the last in the cinema. Will wait for the bluRay.

Going to make sure I have a trip to London sorted for the star wars film next year to see it there.

I was thinking the same at first but AFAIK Abrams is only doing a tiny amount using a 70mm camera, as in just a few seconds. Interstellar was worth the trip to UK because it was a 70mm film release with over an hour of IMAX scenes

Oh really? Has he said why he's using so little IMAX shooting? The Imax scenes in interstellar were amazing in the bfi

• Advertisement

Oh really? Has he said why he's using so little IMAX shooting? The Imax scenes in interstellar were amazing in the bfi

Not sure, just remember another poster said it and linked to an article about it in the star wars thread a while back. Could be early yet but you'd imagine a star wars movie would be the kind that could make proper use out of the format. Just like the launch scene in Interstellar, lots of flight scenes with the full image and deafening sound would be worth going over for.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Saw it in the BFI Imax for the first time there, blown away. Loved almost all of it to be honest.

I just don't think he's used to it. Remember that Nolan has had a few films to get used to filming with an Imax camera, where as JJ is only starting.

I think that with most directors, it's just the audio element of shooting with Imax cameras that makes it unappealing. Having such a noisy camera ruins the audio recorded on set, so I imagine most wouldn't put up with such a problem.

I really hope that it becomes the new gimmick to entice people to pay more, and kill off the current 3D gimmick.

CatInABox wrote: »
    Saw it in the BFI Imax for the first time there, blown away. Loved almost all of it to be honest.

I just don't think he's used to it. Remember that Nolan has had a few films to get used to filming with an Imax camera, where as JJ is only starting.

I think that with most directors, it's just the audio element of shooting with Imax cameras that makes it unappealing. Having such a noisy camera ruins the audio recorded on set, so I imagine most wouldn't put up with such a problem.

I really hope that it becomes the new gimmick to entice people to pay more, and kill off the current 3D gimmick.

Yeah, it's too loud to be used in normal scenes like people talking in a room, it can only be used when there's a way to block out the sound or if it's already drowned out. The cameras are also supposed to be pretty unreliable. Plus there's the DMR of the actual film reels or whatever the processes are. In the end though, the bit of extra effort really pays off and can make a movie a big enough spectacle to make people travel a lot further to see it in the best format possible rather than the local cinema.

Ok just back from 3rd viewing
    Ok next will be bluray
    I'm INTERSTELLARED out !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Finally got around to seeing this last night. I thought it was brilliant, but should have ended with Cooper floating in space at Saturn with the lights flashing in the background, but that's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

the_monkey wrote: »
    Ok just back from 3rd viewing
    Ok next will be bluray
    I'm INTERSTELLARED out !

Pity they're not releasing it for BluRay before Christmas.

.ak wrote: »
    Pity they're not releasing it for BluRay before Christmas.

Be out around Oscar time I'd imagine :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭jones

I will definitely be picking this up on Bluray actually dying to see it again

It'll be out in late February/early March. Wonder what kind of special editions it'll have.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I saw it for the 2nd time in Dublin a few weeks ago in the IMAX, with my Dad who was seeing it for the first time. I was absolutely blown away the first time I saw it and although obviously not having the same effect this time around, I just loved it. Definitely the best thing I've seen in the cinema since the Matrix first came out. I can say without a shadow of a doubt that the docking scene is what defines a cinema experience for me - it was simply stunning. I get shivers just thinking about it now - the music, the visuals, the tension, I could go on - it had everything and made me so glad that I went to the cinema to see it.

I really want to listen to the soundtrack but I also want to wait until I can see the movie again as the music was such an important part of it that I don't want to dilute it at all. It's still a 10/10 movie and I may sneakily try to see it again next week while the Mrs is away :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Not a bad recreation of the docking scene if I do say so myself.

SuprSi wrote: »
    I saw it for the 2nd time in Dublin a few weeks ago in the IMAX, with my Dad who was seeing it for the first time. I was absolutely blown away the first time I saw it and although obviously not having the same effect this time around, I just loved it. Definitely the best thing I've seen in the cinema since the Matrix first came out. I can say without a shadow of a doubt that the docking scene is what defines a cinema experience for me - it was simply stunning. I get shivers just thinking about it now - the music, the visuals, the tension, I could go on - it had everything and made me so glad that I went to the cinema to see it.

I really want to listen to the soundtrack but I also want to wait until I can see the movie again as the music was such an important part of it that I don't want to dilute it at all. It's still a 10/10 movie and I may sneakily try to see it again next week while the Mrs is away :)

Do it !!

Go Go Go !!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

SuprSi wrote: »
    I may sneakily try to see it again next week while the Mrs is away :)

That's not possible.
    No its necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

Terrific movie, really enjoyed it, one of those rare movies that you think about for days afterwards. Should be a big winner at the Oscars, but will last years Gravity deprive Interstellar of the main prizes. (Can't see the Oscars going for two space movies two years running).

Wedwood wrote: »
    Terrific movie, really enjoyed it, one of those rare movies that you think about for days afterwards. Should be a big winner at the Oscars, but will last years Gravity deprive Interstellar of the main prizes. (Can't see the Oscars going for two space movies two years running).

If it had a female lead in place of Cooper I think it would be more likely. Would've went perfectly with this whole feminism agenda American media seems to be going through. I think it'll definitely get nominated a LOT, but only actually win a few.

What I think it'll get definite nominations for:

best actor, supporting actress, original song (no time for caution), cinematography, visual effects, sound editing, production design, original score, sound mixing.

What I think it'll get awards for:

original song, visual effects, sound editing, production design, original score and sound mixing.

Hopefully I'm wrong about leaving out best director and Nolan wins it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,574 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

It'll be out in late February/early March. Wonder what kind of special editions it'll have.

I don't think they will be that great probably featuretes on different aspects of the film, I would really love a Nolan commentary but he doesn't do them anymore. I do hope it's a decent transfer. It's scheduled for release on March 10th in the US it will probably be the same date here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭baldshin

Upon discovering there is a 70mm IMAX here in Melbourne I had to pop there for my second viewing. Well worth the crazy admission price, best cinematic experience I've had since Tron Legacy in IMAX.

I currently work in a cinema here in Melbourne called the Astor Theatre (look it up and pray we someday have somewhere as cool in Ireland). We showed Interstellar last week and I was getting chills from the audio from the bar area while working! We tried to get a 70mm print but they wouldn't give it as we only show 2 movies a day, so wouldn't have been worth their while for one show I guess, shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

What I think it'll get definite nominations for:

best actor, supporting actress, original song (no time for caution), cinematography, visual effects, sound editing, production design, original score, sound mixing.

What I think it'll get awards for:

original song, visual effects, sound editing, production design, original score and sound mixing.

Hopefully I'm wrong about leaving out best director and Nolan wins it.

I think you've got this completely backwards. I think it's a cert for Best Director and Best Picture nominations (winning neither). Should compete for sound and visual but I can't see the cast getting any nominations at all.

I think you've got this completely backwards. I think it's a cert for Best Director and Best Picture nominations (winning neither). Should compete for sound and visual but I can't see the cast getting any nominations at all.

I think McConnaughy would get a nom for actor and Jessica chastain or hathaway would get a nom for supporting actress. Is there a category for young actors? Because I think the actress that played young Murphy deserves recognition

• Advertisement

I think McConnaughy would get a nom for actor and Jessica chastain or hathaway would get a nom for supporting actress. Is there a category for young actors? Because I think the actress that played young Murphy deserves recognition

I can't see either of the lead female roles getting nominations,
    it was a great film - but not for acting performances from these 2 , as you say MMC and McKenzie Foy were great - but not the 2 lead females.

Advertisement