Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interstellar (Christopher Nolan) *SPOILERS FROM POST 458 ONWARDS*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Ohhhh Myyyyyyyy

4th time and last on cinema - last days on here , still amazing -btw the final scene with brand on Edmunds planet - anyone know where this was filmed ?

IMDB just gives a list of locations - not per scene /time

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

the_monkey wrote: »
    70mm IMAX ?

No such thing in Ireland unfortunately.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Sweet! Cheers booked that. Can't wait to see it for the 4th time now :D

Not even nominated for best Picture
    WHAT A JOKE !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Not even nominated for best Picture
    WHAT A JOKE !!

Looking at the already crowded list of nominees for best picture, it doesn't compete as well. I prefer it over most of them, but no denying that there are more flaws with it than others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

The list of nominees for best picture really aren't bland though..
    Whiplash, Birdman, Boyhood all fantastic movies and more deserving. I don't think American Sniper or The Imitation Game deserved it over this, but they were both still really good. Haven't seen the other two on the list.

It deserved at least a nomination , I've seen some of the others and they are great films - I'm not denying that , but the oscars have a snobbery about sci if which is a shame really.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,383 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The problem with the Oscars is that they aren't snobby or elitist enough, quite frankly. To see genuinely innovative, experimental and brilliant films* passed over in favour of whatever bland prestige bait says all that needs to be said. There are always some worthwhile films nominated for sure, but usually drowned out by the sheer overwhelming amount of 'bleh'.

*Interstellar I wouldn't count in that category anyway.

It's funny how Gravity cleaned up at the Oscars last year even though it's basically a very simple and basic story and could be considered a short film compared to this.

Does anyone else think if Nolan went absolutely all out trying to appeal to the current feminists and used a strong, independent single mother instead of father on top of the daughter being the one to save humanity that it'd have a much higher chance at more noms?

• Advertisement

The problem with the Oscars is that they aren't snobby or elitist enough, quite frankly. To see genuinely innovative, experimental and brilliant films* passed over in favour of whatever bland prestige bait says all that needs to be said. There are always some worthwhile films nominated for sure, but usually drowned out by the sheer overwhelming amount of 'bleh'.

*Interstellar I wouldn't count in that category anyway.

Ah now the prestige deserved an oscar too in fairness :p !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Does anyone else think if Nolan went absolutely all out trying to appeal to the current feminists and used a strong, independent single mother instead of father on top of the daughter being the one to save humanity that it'd have a much higher chance at more noms?
    No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

I mean if The Wolf of Wall Street, Whiplash and American Sniper can get best picture nominations despite being very macho films it'd hardly stop Interstellar now would it?

Kermode compares Contact and Interstellar ... he seems to have warmed to Interstellar - I wonder was it after his 2nd viewing :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

whats with the bit in the magic bo at the end? if i go in a black hole, i dont think thats whatll happen...somehow

david75 wrote: »
    whats with the bit in the magic bo at the end? if i go in a black hole, i dont think thats whatll happen...somehow

Anything goes in a black hole - no one knows what the hell is in there,
    gives scriptwriters a great amount of flexibility .

Also the tesseract was put there by humans far far into the future ..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

what is a tesseract?

Tesseract was what Cooper entered in the Black Hole - this wasn't the natural state of the singularity .. the advanced future humans put this there for him to communicate with his daughter.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

david75 wrote: »
    what is a tesseract?

Tesseract is to a cube what a cube is to a square.

*Head explodes* :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,674 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

As I said earlier in the thread, I think the tesseract is best thought of as a kind of inter-dimensional vessel built by 5th-dimensional beings (possibly human but this was just speculation on Cooper’s part) on the edge of the black hole’s singularity. There’s no way for 4-dimensional creatures to experience the 5th dimension, hence why it takes the form of something Cooper can understand: a tesseract.

For an explanation of a tesseract, watch this. I suspect it was Nolan’s inspiration for the third act.

• Advertisement

BD / DVD release date is March 31 (at least for US version) ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I'm on a couple of long haul flights next month - how quickly are movies released on aircraft? Probably asking too much for it to be available so soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,268 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

SuprSi wrote: »
    I'm on a couple of long haul flights next month - how quickly are movies released on aircraft? Probably asking too much for it to be available so soon.

Sometimes the same as the theatrical release I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Birneybau wrote: »
    Sometimes the same as the theatrical release I think.

Hmm, so I might get lucky, although it might ruin the experience somewhat watching it on a small screen. I might be best waiting until I can watch it at home on the big telly.

The airline release their movies and shows at the start of the month so I'll find out soon enough anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

I'm not feeling the immediate desire to see it so soon like I had with other Nolan films, mainly because it is so long.

This sums it up for me.

I saw it last night after wanting to view it for ages. I had hyped this up too much in my own mind I think. The plot itself is not easy to get your head around and this is a film I think I need to watch again rather than wanting to.

Beautiful eye candy on the screen but too early for me to rate the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Actually really looking forward to its release on Blu-Ray. Been outrageously strong in not searching for pirate copies.

Was one of the best films I saw last year and totally embodied what I want to go to the cinema to see. So much so I went to see it twice :(

SuprSi wrote: »
    Hmm, so I might get lucky, although it might ruin the experience somewhat watching it on a small screen. I might be best waiting until I can watch it at home on the big telly.

The airline release their movies and shows at the start of the month so I'll find out soon enough anyway.

Yes. Yes you would. Also, the soundtrack and audio itself wouldn't be served justice by listening to them on a plane with headphones.

I'm not normally "that guy", but for a guy who takes cinema so seriously I'm taken back that he would be this rude to other cinema goers during a film.

Plus he can't talk, Frank was far more pretentious than Interstellar.

Oh. He made Frank?

And he's bitching about Intersteller?

:pac:

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    This sums it up for me.

I saw it last night after wanting to view it for ages. I had hyped this up too much in my own mind I think. The plot itself is not easy to get your head around and this is a film I think I need to watch again rather than wanting to.

Beautiful eye candy on the screen but too early for me to rate the rest.

See it again, It was the 2nd time that really blew me away ... cos I could just watch it with no pressure or expectation.

• Advertisement

See it again, It was the 2nd time that really blew me away ... cos I could just watch it with no pressure or expectation.

Its that last 20 minutes that it lost me in.

A film should never have to come with diagrams or links to documentaries to explain things. It also didnt help that a poster on here ruined the
    digital library
    bit at the end for me. So a real important "wow!" moment was taken away.

It has many strong points but overall it was the weakest narrative Nolan has ever presented to us, and Im usually a big fan of everything he does.

Advertisement