Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interstellar (Christopher Nolan) *SPOILERS FROM POST 458 ONWARDS*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Its that last 20 minutes that it lost me in.

A film should never have to come with diagrams or links to documentaries to explain things. It also didnt help that a poster on here ruined the
    digital library
    bit at the end for me. So a real important "wow!" moment was taken away.

It has many strong points but overall it was the weakest narrative Nolan has ever presented to us, and Im usually a big fan of everything he does.
    digital library
    Sure, it is the weakest part of the film , but it had to go back to that somehow as it was mentioned from the 1st scene in the film.

It could have been a lot worse, I was watching it fearing that
    Coop would end up in the middle of the cornfield after entering the black hole :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Am I the only one not to be impressed by this at all. I think it is a hugely overrated movie. Some of it is just utter nonsense, more the emotional goings on then the scientific parts, which are also mainly nonsense.

How it is getting a IMDb rating of 8.9 is beyond me. Reading the user reviews, I agree with them after the first seven or eight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Am I the only one not to be impressed by this at all. I think it is a hugely overrated movie. Some of it is just utter nonsense, more the emotional goings on then the scientific parts, which are also mainly nonsense.

How it is getting a IMDb rating of 8.9 is beyond me. Reading the user reviews, I agree with them after the first seven or eight.

Plenty of people on this thread didn't enjoy it for various reason. Plenty of people enjoyed it immensely too.

I am one of the ones that enjoyed it immensely but it's not a film without flaws. Those flaws didn't stop me enjoying it though. It's a beautifully made film, with a great lead, great score and amazing visuals. The emotional heartbeat of it worked well for me too, though the scene where Coop meets his daughter again at the end did feel a bit flat. I'm pretty sure I've posted in this thread already about how I feel the ending could have been changed to pack more of a punch.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I'd like to hear what you consider utter nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Loads but I'll start with 2.
    The wavy planet, with the 2000mt waves every 60 seconds but all the wreckage was in spitting distance of each other.

Saturn outpost looked well established but they still hadn't explored mucin as your one hadn't been rescued.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

I wouldn't say hugely overrated, as far as blockbusters go, although there was a good bit wrong with it, perhaps because I was expecting a successor to 2001. It was marketed to be realistic, however it was more ' possible with decreasing levels of plausibility ' than realistic. The exposition was annoying and patronizing. It was excessively sentimental at times which came across as a cheap tactic to win over an audience that it had already insulted. But mostly because the script was bad. You cant make a good film from a bad script. If someone has an example of this I'd love to see it.

On a positive note it looked great in places, there were some riveting scenes and it generated some good conversation. Maybe that's enough. I'm just glad Carl Sagan and Stanley Kubrick were around first.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Saturn outpost looked well established but they still hadn't explored mucin as your one hadn't been rescued.
    did they not state that the wormhole had shut, so that while they now had far more technology, they would not have been able to travel back to their intended destinations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

It's ok people, let's lighten up!

The wavy planet, with the 2000mt waves every 60 seconds but all the wreckage was in spitting distance of each other.

For the first one - this was explain IN the movie. Due to the time differential on the planet - the wreck had just happened moments before.

The Saturn outpost was established / completed roughly at the same time that she had gone missing

Bacchus wrote: »
    Plenty of people on this thread didn't enjoy it for various reason. Plenty of people enjoyed it immensely too.

I am one of the ones that enjoyed it immensely but it's not a film without flaws. Those flaws didn't stop me enjoying it though. It's a beautifully made film, with a great lead, great score and amazing visuals. The emotional heartbeat of it worked well for me too, though the scene where Coop meets his daughter again at the end did feel a bit flat. I'm pretty sure I've posted in this thread already about how I feel the ending could have been changed to pack more of a punch.

I must have missed it, I'd love to read it ..

• Advertisement

TBH, the one and only thing I'd change in the movie is those final 5 minutes or so. I think it would have been cool (in an 'ultimate sacrifice' kind of way) for Cooper never to have seen his daughter again (or at least not show us it). He could have been 'sent' to Brand's planet and we could have been left with Murphy and the ship on the way to the wormhole thinking "will they meet". Or Cooper could have been left in the Tesseract drifting through time in his daughter's bedroom but never being able to break out (that'd be an ultra bitter-sweet/depressing ending).

Bump. This wouldn't work tho, it's too anticlimatic ..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

just watched it there, very impressed.

However as will all of these types of plots.. questions

• Registered Users Posts: 6,347 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Haven't seen this mentioned on boards yet so here ya go:

http://www.ifi.ie/2015/01/interstellar-70mm/

Interstellar in 70mm in Dublin, coming 13th February until the 19th. Would I be right in saying this will be similar to seeing it in 70mm Imax, just on a smaller scale?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭jones

Its a pity we have no true Imax in Dublin i'd love to see interstellar on it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,674 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Haven't seen this mentioned on boards yet so here ya go:

http://www.ifi.ie/2015/01/interstellar-70mm/

Interstellar in 70mm in Dublin, coming 13th February until the 19th. Would I be right in saying this will be similar to seeing it in 70mm Imax, just on a smaller scale?

Sort of, but not quite. The 70mm celluloid print won’t have the switching aspect ratios contained in 70mm IMAX. This isn’t necessarily bad thing, though (it’s nice the first time, but I find it distracting). You’ll also be getting Nolan’s untouched photochemically colour corrected version of the film. The 35mm sections of the IMAX version usually get the grain-scrubbing treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,347 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Sort of, but not quite. The 70mm celluloid print won’t have the switching aspect ratios contained in 70mm IMAX. This isn’t necessarily bad thing, though (it’s nice the first time, but I find it distracting). You’ll also be getting Nolan’s untouched photochemically colour corrected version of the film. The 35mm sections of the IMAX version usually get the grain-scrubbing treatment.

Are you going to go to it, Sad Professor?

Think I will, it's been a while now between the movie's release and 13th February. Should be a good chance to watch it again without expectation or hype.

I saw it in the Point Village on iSense, thought it was great but possibly a bit grainy in places alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

i agree totally

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Just watched it again.

Still pretending to be cleverer and more profound than it is.

Meh!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Grudaire wrote: »
    did they not state that the wormhole had shut, so that while they now had far more technology, they would not have been able to travel back to their intended destinations?

Spoilers not really needed at this point...

It had not shut, Coop headed off on his little ship to go through the wormhole to find Amelia. I think they were stationed nearby Saturn waiting for more people to arrive from Earth.
    the_monkey wrote: »
    Bump. This wouldn't work tho, it's too anticlimatic ..

It would have been tricky to pull off alright but it could have made for a great bittersweet ending.

Of the two alternative endings I suggested though, I prefer the first one where we simply don't see the meeting between Coop and his daughter. I'm thinking along the lines of that last moment in Monsters Inc where Boo and Sulley are reunited. You don't see it, you only hear Boo say "kitty" but it is the perfect ending. Similarly, in Interstellar, I feel that any reunion between Coop and his daughter was doomed to fall short, which it did. By not showing it, but letting us know they found each other again... I think that would have been cool.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

When will we be able to find out what special/limited editions of this will be available in Ireland? They've confirmed editions for certain shops in America.

• Advertisement

Spoilers not really needed at this point...

Of the two alternative endings I suggested though, I prefer the first one where we simply don't see the meeting between Coop and his daughter. I'm thinking along the lines of that last moment in Monsters Inc where Boo and Sulley are reunited. You don't see it, you only hear Boo say "kitty" but it is the perfect ending. Similarly, in Interstellar, I feel that any reunion between Coop and his daughter was doomed to fall short, which it did. By not showing it, but letting us know they found each other again... I think that would have been cool.

This!!! 100% agree

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,674 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I thought the reunion scene was perfect. It’s not the emotional climax of the film nor should it be. The actual climax is the tesseract sequence and everything after it is deliberately very dreamlike. It’s a victorious ending in that Cooper and Murph save humanity - but at a price: they are never reunited, not truly. The old woman he meets in the hospital ward is not the girl he left behind, nor is he the same man who left. They are like strangers to each other and it’s too late to get to know each other again. Cooper is now a man out of a time, a ghost who doesn’t belong. What do ghosts do when they’ve made peace with the past? They pass beyond this world, which is what Cooper does.

Nicely put and i do see what Nolan was trying to do make the ultimate sacrifice in some ways.

I just think the scene seemed to fall flat somehow (maybe deliberately) as you said they had both changed and Murph had lived her whole life by the time they were reunited.

All this talk has me dying to see it again ha

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,383 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The central issue I had with that scene is the presence of Murph's other friends / relatives / whatever. The moment between Cooper and his daughter is fine (if, like everything else in the film, rather on the nose, but that's Nolan's style), but the whole thing feels weirdly stilted with everybody else there, happily keeping quiet in the background. Their presence distracted from the core action of the scene, and on a personal level I didn't buy that neither them or Coop were happy to just ignore each other. What the scene communicates is thematically appropriate, it's the execution that made it jarring.

The central issue I had with that scene is the presence of Murph's other friends / relatives / whatever. The moment between Cooper and his daughter is fine (if, like everything else in the film, rather on the nose, but that's Nolan's style), but the whole thing feels weirdly stilted with everybody else there, happily keeping quiet in the background. Their presence distracted from the core action of the scene, and on a personal level I didn't buy that neither them or Coop were happy to just ignore each other. What the scene communicates is thematically appropriate, it's the execution that made it jarring.

Yep that's how i felt aswell. It just fell flat somehow, i get that they have drifted apart after x number of years and are basically strangers but as mentioned earlier i'd of preferred if they had never met again or it was never shown at the very least. The scene they had should of been filled with emotion he's basically lost his daughter and is staring at some strange old woman and the same vica versa but there was just nothing. I know people will say that was the point but i think it would of been more effective not to show it?

I'm nitpicking here as i loved the film and cant wait to see it again but that one scene just didn't sit right with me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭beardo81

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Couldn't they do a 4k mastered edition too since the IMAX scenes would reach resolutions well above that?

"Mastered in 4k” is marketing speak for a new transfer. Like Superbit, only worse. I’d hope they’d get the Interstellar transfer right the first time. But looking at Nolan’s previous Blu-rays...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

jones wrote: »
    Yep that's how i felt aswell. It just fell flat somehow, i get that they have drifted apart after x number of years and are basically strangers but as mentioned earlier i'd of preferred if they had never met again or it was never shown at the very least. The scene they had should of been filled with emotion he's basically lost his daughter and is staring at some strange old woman and the same vica versa but there was just nothing. I know people will say that was the point but i think it would of been more effective not to show it?

I'm nitpicking here as i loved the film and cant wait to see it again but that one scene just didn't sit right with me

I understand this.

I thought having Cooper walk into the room and having the rest of his descendants not being all surprised that this legendary figure that left so many years ago (120 or so) just walks into the room was very stilted to be sure. Like where's the expected rabid interest for the man who basically time traveled and saved the human race? But I did like that it seemed flat and about acceptance with how his daughter hardly would have known him surrounded by generations beneath her and Cooper is a fuzzy if warm memory to her, she had lived many lifetimes more that he had, I do think it was deliberate and felt right and very honest. Fantastic movie.

• Advertisement

The indifference of the wider family felt odd to me - can't really understand it.

The awkwardness of Cooper returning to a world (time) that he left only 4 or 5 years ago when everyone else experienced something like 90 years was done well.

Advertisement