Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interstellar (Christopher Nolan) *SPOILERS FROM POST 458 ONWARDS*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

Is anyone having issues buy tickets from IFI website? I've tried 4 times and it just keep freezing after my payment details...it better not be taking my money each time

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Bought tickets a couple weeks ago & no issues.

Think its because i'm trying to do it on my work pc its "half blocking" the site so it wont go through payment. I'll do it on my phone later.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭lazza14

The BluRay on amazon.com, will that be regionalised ?
    do they regionalise BluRays like they did with DVDs ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭lazza14

Bacchus wrote: »
    Spoilers not really needed at this point...

It had not shut, Coop headed off on his little ship to go through the wormhole to find Amelia. I think they were stationed nearby Saturn waiting for more people to arrive from Earth.

It would have been tricky to pull off alright but it could have made for a great bittersweet ending.

Of the two alternative endings I suggested though, I prefer the first one where we simply don't see the meeting between Coop and his daughter. I'm thinking along the lines of that last moment in Monsters Inc where Boo and Sulley are reunited. You don't see it, you only hear Boo say "kitty" but it is the perfect ending. Similarly, in Interstellar, I feel that any reunion between Coop and his daughter was doomed to fall short, which it did. By not showing it, but letting us know they found each other again... I think that would have been cool.

Wow - seems a fan has made this very ending !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

lazza14 wrote: »

That ending is a tad bit too early. You would want to at least finish the sequence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

That is an awful ending as it doesn't even suggest whether or not Plan A or Plan B comes to fruition. We don't see Cooper transcribe the data on to the watch, and we don't know if Brand makes it to Dr. Mann's planet.

Nolan got a lot of slack over the ending for Inception being too undefined, but that ending would have been even worse. I think the best ending would have been the wormhole closing and him floating in space unconscious (as we see in the film) and as the lights of the space craft appear in the distance, it cuts to the credits. We don't know if Cooper survives, but we do know mankind does, hence the spacecraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Weird, I loved the ending of Inception, and I also thought the ending of Interstellar was perfect!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

SuprSi wrote: »
    Weird, I loved the ending of Inception, and I also thought the ending of Interstellar was perfect!

Don't get me wrong, I too loved the ending of Inception. It was the perfect ending, but Americans went a bit crazy over it. They felt cheated because they weren't given a clear answer to wrap everything up at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

That's a pretty awful point to end at. For that kind of ending to work they'd need to show that full scene, getting to the point where Murph figures out the code in the watch and humanity is saved. At this point you could have some sort of bittersweet moment of Murph going back to the room talking to her Dad letting him know he saved them all, not knowing can he actually hear her and leaving him behind in the tesseract... fate unknown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Saw this last night and thought it was excellent,really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,690 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

The BluRay on amazon.com, will that be regionalised ?
    do they regionalise BluRays like they did with DVDs ?

could be you would take a chance with paramount btw digibook is up on Amazon.co.uk, think I'll go with a pre-order from them for now
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Interstellar-Limited-Digibook-Blu-ray-Region/dp/B00S80X0E2/ref=sr_1_120?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1422546668&sr=1-120&keywords=interstellar&tag=av0c-21
    Might be a small chance irish retailers might have it available on Friday 27th of March, but depends Guardians of the Galaxy wasn't released until the same day as the UK, so might be Monday 30th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

I have that digibook preordered :)

nice ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Wow ... still raises the hairs on my neck ..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

the_monkey wrote: »

Wow ... still raises the hairs on my neck ..

That is a great scene........but for me this one just about edges top spot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭beardo81

So did anyone go to the 70mm release at the IFI last night?

Any reviews?

Planning on going myself over the next few days.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Saw it last night. The good bits are still great, the bad bits still pretty appalling (I was even starting to warm to the fifth dimension stuff until the robot started talking). But it does look and sound amazing in the format - that extra but deeply cinematic clarity and the richness and depth of the colours. Certainly not a transformative experience - I'd be surprised if anyone's opinion on the film changed after seeing it - but a nice treat to see it in 70mm nonetheless.

It is incredibly loud, mind, although this second time around I definitely found its often overwhelmingly busy sound mixing actually works quite well, given the moments when there is a legitimate wall of noise are often motivated by the drama of the scenes in question.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I saw it in the IFI last night too and it was my first time seeing it. Quick review: bar the last 15 minutes and one or two scenes in between it was fantastic. As to the sound I don't think the speakers could handle the volume to be honest. Either that or the balance was off. Surely I wasn't meant to actually miss lines of dialogue because of the sound? The folks I was with all agreed the sound was off whether it was the speakers or that it was simply too loud we weren't certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

mewso wrote: »
    I saw it in the IFI last night too and it was my first time seeing it. Quick review: bar the last 15 minutes and one or two scenes in between it was fantastic. As to the sound I don't think the speakers could handle the volume to be honest. Either that or the balance was off. Surely I wasn't meant to actually miss lines of dialogue because of the sound? The folks I was with all agreed the sound was off whether it was the speakers or that it was simply too loud we weren't certain.

That's the experience a lot of people had, including myself. It was weird - I almost complained to Cineworld about it but it wasn't until I came to Boards that I realised I wasn't the only one who experienced it.

Very odd to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Catcher7791

SuprSi wrote: »
    That's the experience a lot of people had, including myself. It was weird - I almost complained to Cineworld about it but it wasn't until I came to Boards that I realised I wasn't the only one who experienced it.

Very odd to be honest.

That would suggest it's the mix and not the format if you had the same problem in Cineworld.Curious

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There's no question it's the mix, it was widely discussed at release. Nolan even discussed the motivation behind it: http://m.hollywoodreporter.com/entry/view/id/842479

• Registered Users Posts: 12,690 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

The director Rian Johnson interviewing Nolan

@rianjohnson: This was a blast. Don't think I said anything too dumb. “@Andyzach: @rianjohnson interviewing Nolan for Interstellar https://t.co/bYJaEbJP7f

Lads going to see the 70mm interstellar tonight in IFI but i'm driving where's the handiest place to park? IFI virgin here

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Catcher7791

jones wrote: »
    Lads going to see the 70mm interstellar tonight in IFI but i'm driving where's the handiest place to park? IFI virgin here

It says at the back of their brochure that you can get a rate of €5 for three hours' parking in the Fleet Street Car Park when you show them your ticket.

Ah, the joys of car parking in Dublin :pac:

The easiest I've found is Royal College of Surgeon's car park. €7 overnight rate from 5pm, although you have to pre-pay. Still, means you don't have to rush before or after to hit the three hour mark. It's around a ten minute walk from the IFI.

You might get a spot along the quays alternatively, which I believe is free after a certain point (although expensive until then).

It says at the back of their brochure that you can get a rate of €5 for three hours' parking in the Fleet Street Car Park when you show them your ticket.

I don't have a ticket yet bought online but I could print out the confirmation email I suppose. 3 hours is cutting it a bit fine though I wanted to get something to eat beforehand dammit

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Saw it for the 5th time last night in the IFI, still ****ing awesome! The sound system in screen 1 is great!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I wouldn't be a metal fan but this guy did a good cover of No Time For Caution.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

Saw it in the IFI yesterday, it was super loud and super sexy. Blasting the soundtrack all day long once again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Saw it in the IFI yesterday, it was super loud and super sexy. Blasting the soundtrack all day long once again.

I think people are as much in love with the soundtrack as the film. I wonder would people gush as much about the film it if it had no soundtrack or an inferior one.

Advertisement