Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interstellar (Christopher Nolan) *SPOILERS FROM POST 458 ONWARDS*

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Jonathan was actually the one who put most of the work in on the script alongside Kip Thorne from what I remember reading about the making so it was more than likely Christopher that came in and changed those things up, yeah. He was probably advised by the studio to also make it more of a story of success and that other bullsh!t about love.

Kind of annoyed reading that now, just makes me a bit disappointed in Christopher Nolan since that ending actually could've been done to be better than the one he went with. But, as always, Christopher probably wanted to add that extra bit of complexity to have a "mind fuk/twist" element to it, like most of his films. Maybe it would've been better if Spielberg had done this movie as originally planned.

Not that it's negative, but Christopher actually said before talking to Kip he had considered having more/multiple black holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,814 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Jonathan was actually the one who put most of the work in on the script alongside Kip Thorne from what I remember reading about the making so it was more than likely Christopher that came in and changed those things up, yeah. He was probably advised by the studio to also make it more of a story of success and that other bullsh!t about love.

Kind of annoyed reading that now, just makes me a bit disappointed in Christopher Nolan since that ending actually could've been done to be better than the one he went with. But, as always, Christopher probably wanted to add that extra bit of complexity to have a "mind fuk/twist" element to it, like most of his films. Maybe it would've been better if Spielberg had done this movie as originally planned.

I can imagine spielberg would have put an equally soppy stamp on it when he got his hands on it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,674 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

There’s no need to speculate. Jonah’s draft has been online since long before the film was released.

I prefer Chris’s ending to Jonah’s. Cooper flying off to find Brand (who he has a romantic relationship with) without a wormhole doesn’t really make any sense.

Chris didn’t get rid of the science bits in his script, I think he just tried to make them more cinematic. There’s a neutron star emitting deadly radiation that plays a big role in Jonah’s draft, which I was kind of sad to see eliminated, but how do visualise the threat of radiation in a suspenseful way?

The third act in Jonah’s draft was also a bit of a mish-mash, jumping far too forward in time and involving hyper dimensional aliens and Chinese spaces stations and robots. Very reminiscent of the ending of A.I. actually, minus the emotion but with the same excessive amount of exposition. Chris made it more transcendent using the black hole and tesseract sequence to tie all the main themes together.

Murph is a boy in Jonathan Nolan’s draft but just as important to the story.

There’s no need to speculate. Jonah’s draft has been online since long before the film was released.

I prefer Chris’s ending to Jonah’s. Cooper flying off to find Brand (who he has a romantic relationship with) without a wormhole doesn’t really make any sense.

i still confused by that how long did it take Brand to get from the other side of the wormhole to that planet the first time, I watch the film again and I heard 'months' mentioned. (so if you exclude the detours to other the planets and if he avoids the blackhole as much as he can) how long will it take for Coop to get to Brand?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,674 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

i still confused by that how long did it take Brand to get from the other side of the wormhole to that planet the first time, I watch the film again and I heard 'months' mentioned. (so if you exclude the detours to other the planets) how long will it take for Coop to get to Brand?

A few months I assume. Brand would have got there and set up camp in the time Cooper lost in the event horizon and spent unconscious on Cooper station.

• Advertisement

A few months I assume. Brand would have got there and set up camp in the time Cooper lost in the event horizon and spent unconscious on Cooper station.

but how could he travel for a few months in that little spaceship

but how could he travel for a few months in that little spaceship

Good point. Maybe there was a (very small) hypersleep chamber in it that we couldn’t see or some other way of conserving oxygen. Maybe the humans had made some limited progress on the other side of the wormhole that wasn’t mentioned and would ease his trip.

Tbh though we only see him leaving with the intent of going to her. How he gets there doesn’t really matter. It’s like the how does Bruce get back to Gotham in TDKR.

Nolan was probably trying to preserve some of the sense of impossible odds that was part of the ending of his brother’s draft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Who knows, maybe he hooks up with a bigger ship after he leaves ... according to Christopher Nolan the wormhole is gone at that stage of the film.. which completely eradicates any possibilty of Cooper getting to brand

No, in the film the wormhole is still there. It was in Jonathan Nolan’s draft that it collapsed at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,574 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

US Reviews up for the Blu-Ray, seems they have re-mastered the audio specifically for the Home Cinema viewing! Looks like loads of good quality bonus material with a 122 minute 14 part behind the scenes documentary and another 50 minute documentary discussing the science of Interstellar with Kip Thorne explaining it to us!
    http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/17402/interstellar.html
    http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Interstellar-Blu-ray/77552/#Review
    http://www.thedigitalbits.com/item/interstellar-bd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Jonathan Nolan’s Ending to INTERSTELLAR Made A Lot More Sense says Nerdist

After watching the film again last night the last 20 minutes of the film doesn't really hold up.
    Its a bit of nonsense really with the whole "love" and "watch" morse code malarky.
    Not to mention the multiple paradox elements .

Some of the dialogue near the end is absolutely cringeworthy e.g when Murph talks about her ghost and how the key to solving the equation is in her old bedroom and when she rushes out of the house after torching her brothers farm and starts shouting "Dad will save us".

The film was great until the last 20 minutes where it jumped the shark big time.
    Whilst the idea of the tessaract is fine ,its the way its handled thats a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

The film was great until the last 20 minutes where it jumped the shark big time.
    A movie can't "jump the shark", it can only nuke the fridge.

So tonight I saw it in 70MM , it was my 5th time and I was a little concerned I might not fully enjoy it - How wrong I was :)

Sound was f*cking amazing!!

Picture just looked sharper and a little cleaner maybe, but for me it was the
    sound that felt better.

Perhaps scenes in Space like the wormhole had a lot more detail too.

The audience here helped, sold out and we queued for 45 mins ! - but the atmosphere was incredible.

The owner gave a little speech at the start telling us that this was the Spanish cinema event of the year (1st in spain in 70mm) spoke about how he got the print and showed us some physical 35 mm and 70 mm film for comparison - sounds silly but actually was quite interesting.

Round of applause at the start (title shot) - ok maybe a little unnecessary here :D.

Round of applause after the docking scene.

and of course round of applause at the credits - which I participated in :)(I don't normally but tonight I just had to).

I'm still buzzing ... now If Chelsea can win tomorrow please for a perfect weekend ... Thanks ! :)

16887641625_53cc3f58d8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,837 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

So I just finished watching this an hour ago and in my opinion it was mostly garbage. 3 hours of my life I'll never get back.

Don't get me wrong.. visually it was stunning but I'm long past the point of being impressed purely by what some techie can generate on their PC - especially when the plot and pacing is a confused mess with a bunch of characters and set pieces that you don't really care about and generally have no sense of urgency or even importance.

Plus after all the banging on about finding the solution (to a problem that's never really explained) we get cheated out of the answer by a watch with a dodgy second hand, and a cut to an Inception-like Space Station. Almost as bad as how Coop goes from finding NORAD/NASA to leaving his family to flying the mission in about 10 minutes! And speaking of family.. if the film was ultimately about a father and his daughter, then he sure doesn't stick around long after FINALLY getting back to her - instead going off to rescue another character we don't really care about instead!

I generally like Nolan's work but this is a self-indulgent, over-hyped shambles IMO - 2001 this isn't, no matter how much Nolan wanted it to be!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

don ramo wrote: »
    also forgot matt damon is a prick LOL

About time something cut him off in in one of his self indulgent speeches.

He was excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    if the film was ultimately about a father and his daughter, then he sure doesn't stick around long after FINALLY getting back to her

I thought this was a rather good and true moment actually, It got across the point that there was a whole life that she had lived and he has missed it, not to mention generations beneath her have lived and it was irreconcilable. He really was a ghost, even though it had been only weeks in living time for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Adamantium wrote: »
    About time something cut him off in in one of his self indulgent speeches.

He was excellent.
    he was, plays a great asshole

don ramo wrote: »
    he was, plays a great asshole

His cameos in Entourage were brilliant as well, especially the after credits scene for one episode he was in

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

A lot of the movie was about time and how it passes on opposite sides of the wormhole. I don't understand how going to the water planet caused a differential of 23 yrs between both sides yet spending time in the black hole seemed to have no effect.

Also, Coop's return through the wormhole seems to coincide with his arrival through the wormhole, yet there is still this huge time differential when he gets back to our solar system.

Hyzepher wrote: »
    A lot of the movie was about time and how it passes on opposite sides of the wormhole. I don't understand how going to the water planet caused a differential of 23 yrs between both sides yet spending time in the black hole seemed to have no effect.

Also, Coop's return through the wormhole seems to coincide with his arrival through the wormhole, yet there is still this huge time differential when he gets back to our solar system.

Most of the time differential when he returned was a result of their slingshot around the blackhole in which they lost 50 years.

His journey back through the wormhole takes place outside of time. He reaches out to Brand the same way he reaches out to Murph though the bookcase in her bedroom. I assume he's still inside the tesseract at that point, which deposits him at Saturn.

• Advertisement

yeah slingshot around the black hole i.e. with Brand. What about the time he lost going into the black hole before the tesseract?

Beyond the event horizon time would have basically stopped for Cooper. So he would have lost more than decades or even centuries. *All of time* would have passed, which would explain how he is able to perceive every moment in time. There probably shouldn’t have been any coming back from this, but if the inter dimensional beings were capable of dropping him out anywhere, I guess it would be at around the moment he crossed the horizon. This could explain how he appears to lose not much more time than Brand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Warning, an attempt to explain relativity.
    There was massive gravitational forces around the wave planet (hence the huge waves).
    My understaning is the more gravity, the more it effects the way people experience time, ie they experience it normally while in effect more time has passed on the "outside".

Try this video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4yyb_RNJWUM

I understand relativity - it's its inconsistent use in the movie that i am trying to understand

Just got an email from HMV saying the blurays dispatched, nice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

I understand relativity - it's its inconsistent use in the movie that i am trying to understand

Back on Earth is called massaging the data to fit the idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 The Unusual Alpaca

I enjoyed it as a blockbuster sort of film but really it turned out average at best. Score was great and it had good ideas but when Damon popped in I had had enough. Not well written.

"It's impossible!"

"No - It's necessary."

Kill me with cringe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

At times it felt like 2001 mixed with Buck Rogers and Days of our Lives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,574 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

the_monkey wrote: »

Same extras and all extras will be HD in the EU release! It will be interesting to see if it's on the shelves in HMV tomorrow or will we have to wait until next week.

Advertisement