Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interstellar (Christopher Nolan) *SPOILERS FROM POST 458 ONWARDS*

Options
1515253545557»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Better he sit for a few minutes more and watch her die? He gets confirmation that he saved her life and that she lived a full life with a big loving family. He hadn't seen her in person for 60-70 years of her life and doesn't need to watch this old woman die.

Aye, she even says it to him, no father should have to watch their child die :pac:

I went to see this and Inception on the big screen recently too, seems a few theaters are doing a bunch of Nolans movies leading up to Tenet.

His movies will be timeless as he uses natural effects in his movies, like with Blade runner, it will still look incredible in 50+ years. He really is the best sfx driven director going forward now..

The Marvel movies for example are already looking fairly ropey, currently doing a rewatch of them in chronological order, GoTG is pretty solid still though in fairness to it, so might just be the phase 1 movies which might have aged poorly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I'd agree there's a lack of emotional pay off to their reunion. McConaughey is strangely restrained in the scene. I am not sure if he's playing it as a father not wanting to get upset in front of his dying daughter or if she's changed so much that he's lost his connection to her. Maybe a bit of both. The previous scenes are all about establishing that this isn't his home. His reunion with her only confirms this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,182 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I'd agree there's a lack of emotional pay off to their reunion. McConaughey is strangely restrained in the scene. I am not sure if he's playing it as a father not wanting to get upset in front of his dying daughter or if she's changed so much that he's lost his connection to her. Maybe a bit of both. The previous scenes are all about establishing that this isn't his home. His reunion with her only confirms this.

I interpreted it as the daughter helping the father back into existence is the ending. It's not so much a loss of connection but more a quiet preservation of what they had, and that there really is no need to prolong her death by trying to reconnect.

I only watched the film once mind, find it hard to rewatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I interpreted it as the daughter helping the father back into existence is the ending. It's not so much a loss of connection but more a quiet preservation of what they had, and that there really is no need to prolong her death by trying to reconnect.

I only watched the film once mind, find it hard to rewatch.

And of course, to him, his daughter is still a little girl, not an old woman. So it must've been hard for him to think that this was "his" Murph (even though it was).

"Interstellar 2: The Search for Murph" coming 2024! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

What I couldn’t understand was how Murph knew about Brand being alone and that her dad would want to Strand himself with her. Maybe him flying off to get her makes sense (he’s not at home there) but her narrative on going to Brand always throws me a bit. Maybe they spoke a bit more then we see.

What I find funny ,connection importance aside , is how cooper made all the sacrifices and yet Murph is the hero. Cooper lost his children, battled a tidal wave, being choked to death, even went into a black hole to save his children and humanity and communicated the information needed to save everyone. Cooper read a watch Hand... :pac:

I actually thought Coops connection with Murph was wonderful and agree it wasn’t an emotional payoff at the end, but that prob wasn’t possible. Just before he’s rescued you see him watch different times of his daughter in his bedroom, it’s just heartbreaking imagining missing out on your children’s life. And then watching from behind a screen (in Tesserect and on the videos) is just torture.

The visuals in this Movie really are breathtaking, love how they created Gargantua and even the wormhole. Easily my favorite sci fi take on the science of space travel.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Drumpot wrote: »
    What I couldn’t understand was how Murph knew about Brand being alone and that her dad would want to Strand himself with her. Maybe him flying off to get her makes sense (he’s not at home there) but her narrative on going to Brand always throws me a bit. Maybe they spoke a bit more then we see.

I am not sure but I think like the other astronauts who made landfall, Brand sent a homing beacon back to Earth. They probably received that around same time Cooper turned up. That plus his debriefing would given Murph a lot of info.
    What I find funny ,connection importance aside , is how cooper made all the sacrifices and yet Murph is the hero. Cooper lost his children, battled a tidal wave, being choked to death, even went into a black hole to save his children and humanity and communicated the information needed to save everyone. Cooper read a watch Hand... :pac:

I actually thought Coops connection with Murph was wonderful and agree it wasn’t an emotional payoff at the end, but that prob wasn’t possible. Just before he’s rescued you see him watch different times of his daughter in his bedroom, it’s just heartbreaking imagining missing out on your children’s life. And then watching from behind a screen (in Tesserect and on the videos) is just torture.

When I think about it, that scene in the Tesseract is the main emotional payoff to their relationship. At that point he's resigned himself to being her "ghost".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭santana75

Saw it in Dundrum about 2 weeks ago having seen it only one other time and that was when it was originally released. Although it was only out in 2014 so 6 years isnt exactly back in the old timey days. I deliberately avoided seeing it again after the first time because for me it was such a profound experience I didnt want to spoil it by possibly watching it too much and getting sick of it. This time around I was blown away again. Even though this time I knew what would happen I still loved every second of it. What really stood out for me was the relationship between Cooper and Murph, it was the heart of the film. I see lots of people nit picking the science and trying to punch holes in it, but they've missed the meaning of the film completely. Its about a fathers bond with his daughter, the science is secondary. I also loved the character development of CASE and TARS. Like character development of two robots...........genius. By the end of the movie Cooper, CASE and TARS are like 3 cowboys out on the range just bantering with each other. In a way I'd love to see a sequel, y'know Cooper and TARS go looking for CASE and Brand. But at the same time I feel they should leave it be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

santana75 wrote: »
    Saw it in Dundrum about 2 weeks ago having seen it only one other time and that was when it was originally released. Although it was only out in 2014 so 6 years isnt exactly back in the old timey days. I deliberately avoided seeing it again after the first time because for me it was such a profound experience I didnt want to spoil it by possibly watching it too much and getting sick of it.

I'm the exact same, i couldnt bring myself to watch it on a TV screen, regardless of how much i loved the movie, i always kept an eye out for a cinema doing a reshowing of it as the years went by, which never happened until recently and i jumped at it.

It really needs to be seen on the biggest screen with the best sound possible to get the most out of it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

One of my favorite films.

First time watched it in the cinema which was class on the big screen. second time at home with the sub-titles on, just blew me away to be honest. Some of the dialogue i missed on the big screen that I captured with the sub-titles made me appreciate the film so much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭Shred

It really is a fabulous film with such an emotional core at its centre and so much re-watchability. Love it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement