Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Container suitable for daily microwaving?

Options
  • 10-01-2013 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

Hi All,

Mods, if this is the wrong forum please move.

My OH brings lunch to work with him on a daily basis. This is usually leftovers from dinner. He has access to a microwave to heat his lunch up.

The biggest problem is the frequency with which we have to replace the microwavable containers, I'm hoping someone can help with this.

Any recommendations for a good quality microwavable container?
    The only criteria are:

• Must have a good seal, as he walks to work with lunch in bag.
    • Must be sturdy (see above)
    • Must be microwavable.
    • Must be ~ .8 l capacity (if someone could suggest a suitable brand but different size, I am willing to try)
    • I do not have an issue with plastic.
    Thanks for any help you can give :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

Ikea have a range of lunch boxes that I use daily and are fantastic. They wouldn't be fantastic for soup but are grand for other foods like spag bol/shepards pie/stew.

http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/60066724/ these bad boys

They're also vented which is a big help for putting on the lid while the food is still warm, and also for heating with the lid on to prevent those microwave splatters!

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lemeister

I find the Lock and Lock range great, they come in all shapes and sizes and are suitalle for freezer and microwave (just loosen locks to avoid steam build up).
    Something like this might suit :
    http://www.homestoreandmore.ie/plastic-storage/lock+lock-square-airtight-container-870ml/invt/007469/

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The problem I find with reheating some foods in plastic containers, and this may be what the OP is referring to, is that an almost molten plastic ridge forms along where the top of the food meets the sides of the container. I suspect it's when the food contains oil or fat, like spag bol or chilli and that gets hot enough to slightly melt the plastic. In those cases, the molten bit also gets discoloured red from the tomato / chilli.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭evilmonkee

Alun wrote: »
    The problem I find with reheating some foods in plastic containers, and this may be what the OP is referring to, is that an almost molten plastic ridge forms along where the top of the food meets the sides of the container. I suspect it's when the food contains oil or fat, like spag bol or chilli and that gets hot enough to slightly melt the plastic. In those cases, the molten bit also gets discoloured red from the tomato / chilli.

This is definately part of the problem! Thanks for explaining it, I couldn't find the words.

I don't mind too much about the colour discolouration. But I find, after a few months, the plastic starts to retain smells; chili, garlic, citrus, Big bold flavours in general. Steeping doesnt seem to help :(

The melted plasic seems to happen after a couple of months, regardless of whether I put food with very little fat or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Alun wrote: »

Yup, it can be impossible to get oil/fat off of the insides of plastic containers and we all know that red tinge to plastic after even a brief dalliance with any sort of tomato sauce.

At the moment Tesco are doing a stamp collecting deal on covered Pyrex dishes. Different shapes and sizes. We have a couple of similar ones and they are great for fridge, freezer, microwave, oven (without the plastic lid, obviously!), table, picnic etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

evilmonkee wrote: »
    But I find, after a few months, the plastic starts to retain smells; chili, garlic, citrus, Big bold flavours in general. Steeping doesnt seem to help
    Baking soda (aka bread soda, bicarbonate of soda) can take out smells like that, either just the powder or dissolved making a strong solution. You can leave a plate of baking soda in your fridge to absorb bad smells too.

I just reuse family size glass jars of sauce for bringing stuff to work. I pop it in a bowl and microwave it rather than in a container. Or I do it in my glass jar without the lid on and pour into a bowl.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭evilmonkee

Hi All,

Just wanted to update you!
    I bought himself an pyrex one from Tesco and all went well for the first while... the lid started leaking so that semi liquid (curry, pasta sauce) food would drip all over the ziplock bag holding lunch.

Since then I have gotten another plastic clip lock jar and he is emptying food onto a plate to heat it up!

thanks all for your advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I have a standard Addis lunchbox and I have been microwaving leftovers in its for a long time and it is still doing the job.
    My husband cycles to work and takes one to work with leftovers in a rucksack
    Its a bit discoloured from tomato based sauces and currys but its taken loads of abuse and still going strong.

http://kitchenproductreview.wordpress.com/tag/addis-lunchbox/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭squonk

Can vouch for the Lock & Lock containers myself. I've been using some for the past two months to bring some soup to work with me and they work a treat. Tesco do some similar products but they're nowhere near as good. The Lock & Lock containers haven't leaked yet and I generally leave the cover locked in the microwave, give the soup a shake half way through and keep it going til it's piping hot. Even in cases where a vacum has built up and the pot has slightly deformed it hasn't caused problems. Popping it back into the microwave for 20 seconds usually has the product returning to it's shape and without any lasting issue.

Advertisement