Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fiber Broadband Coming to Parts of Clare

• 10-01-2013 12:19pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Personally I think this is great cause I'm on the roll out map, sorry for all of you that aren't.

Clare Champion Article
    Eircom added eight locations in County Clare to their fibre rollout plan, including Ballyalla Cross, Ballymachill Cross, Clarecastle, Rockmount, Shannon Airport and Whitepark.
    Last month, Ennis and Shannon Town were included in Phase IV of the fibre rollout plan.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

At this stage I have (I think) overcome my perceived need for it.

I would have made use of it, had it been available, but now have adjusted myself to doing without it.

I seem to be managing just fine with a 4Mb/s download ..... and TV/Film/etc provided by Satellite & DTT.

..... or maybe I am learning patience ......

:)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

This is probably FTTC rather than FTTH. We seriously need UPC in Ennis :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I've the Vodafone Ultimate Package and get 12meg broadband, unfortunately it keeps knocking off if I use the full bandwidth so I've trottled it back a bit, used to be important for me to get the top broadband as I used to work from home and there'd be quite a difference in call quality and stuff, but now that it's uncongested broadband that's not really an issue.

I've imagine at 12meg. Last month I hit 1TB, not sure how I did that. No uncongested broadband for us. Hits 4mb some weekend evenings but other wise I get the full 11mb.

Try setting up QoS and call quality shouldn't be an issue then.

Maybe the ESB will go ahead with their fibre roll out ........ that would be nice ...... fibre over the ESB poles to maybe the transformer which would be equivalent to FTTC ..... and then high speed wireless from there to the house - if not fibre all the way ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭muggles

Where is "Whitepark" in Co. Clare?? Or do they actually mean Cappahard?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I always thought that Whitepark was up near the TV transmitter in Maghera, I seem to have a vague memory of it being on an old test card or something.

Thank you Clareman. Did a search on google maps and indeed there is a Whitepark between Maghera and Feakle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Its a joke that its actually taking this long to roll it out.I live in Clonlara so I'll be lucky to have fibre by 2016 or 2017. Meanwhile UPC will probably be supplying 500mb to Dublin city. I'm currently with Eircom on the 24mb package but the most I get is 11mb. They are completely useless but there's no good alternative.

Totally agree. If we're down to listing such confined, specific areas as Rockmount, Ballyalla Cross and Ballymacahill Cross it's all the same. I may as well hang up my hat on it.

• Advertisement

muggles wrote: »
    Totally agree. If we're down to listing such confined, specific areas as Rockmount, Ballyalla Cross and Ballymacahill Cross it's all the same. I may as well hang up my hat on it.

I don't think they are confining it to those areas, just that they are the places they are going to out to from the main exchange in town, so everyone out the Gort/Kilrush/Clare Roads will all get fibre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Mr_Grumpy wrote: »

Correct. FTTH is just for a very few places (Dublin/Wicklow); the vast majority will get FTTC (and some variant of VDSL from the cab to the premises).
    Where is "Whitepark" in Co. Clare?? Or do they actually mean Cappahard?
    The latter. The exchange is called Whitepark, but is in that estate somewhere (I think it's just a small exchange, probably underground). FTTC will be a long time coming to remote places like Feakle (nevermind Maghera!).

They are all the Ennis exchanges. Some are tiny exchanges (like Whitepark), but others are big enough (like Ballyalla) that would serve a lot more than just the immediate area.

It's still all limited to built up urban/sub-urban areas though.
    Clareman wrote: »
    I don't think they are confining it to those areas, just that they are the places they are going to out to from the main exchange in town, so everyone out the Gort/Kilrush/Clare Roads will all get fibre.

Not just the main exchange (Drumbiggle Rd.), but the other big exchanges in Ennis as well (and some tiny ones too, because they're usually new, and serve a dense population). "Everyone" doesn't cut if for DSL either, unfortunately. Most along those roads should see some benefit, but there will be some out the Kilrush road who will miss out. It'll come down to location of existing street cabs, the density of lines in those cabs, and so on. The problem is that older lines (like the main Drumbiggle Rd. exchange) tend to have fewer street cabs (line goes straight back to the exchange), and to get FTTC, eircom'll need to install new street cabs. Now they'll have been doing that all along (especially in the property boom), but might be much less inclined to install new ones now. Most will see an improvement, but definitely not everyone, unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Is there any word on how much it will cost to get the new Eircom fibre broadband?

I am currently entertaining the idea of moving to the Netherlands. I have been looking up costs to compare from there to here and something I found today made me sick.

https://www.ziggo.nl/#producten/alles-in-1/extra/

Ziggo is like UPC and is available throughout the Netherlands, as is fibre optic broadband. What makes me sick is that for €63 there you can get 120 Meg fibre broadband connection with an unlimited download quota, the basic HD digtial TV package, and a phone line.

Here my 8 meg connection with a phone line costs me more than €63 a month, and the basic sky package is close to €50.

I must say, I was quite disgusted when I realised how much we pay for so little here. :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The whitepark exchange also does some of the other estaes on the tulla road too. Far as I know its not an ngb exchange like ennis is. It wasn't a few years back anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

CptSternn wrote: »

Here my 8 meg connection with a phone line costs me more than €63 a month, and the basic sky package is close to €50.

I must say, I was quite disgusted when I realised how much we pay for so little here. :/

5meg for free, 1 gigabit for $70

http://googlefiberblog.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/how-do-you-want-your-internet-you-choose.html

gctest50 wrote: »

Not 'quite' free ..... but close .....
    The Free Internet option will cost $0 per month, although you will have to pay a $300 construction fee (which can either be paid at once, or in $25 monthly installments).

I would take it, given the chance :D

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The whitepark exchange also does some of the other estaes on the tulla road too. Far as I know its not an ngb exchange like ennis is. It wasn't a few years back anyway.

Correct. Somewhat mitigated by the fact it will have FTTC/VDSL next year (end of), and that it's a small exchange, so DSLAM-level contention is probably a bit less (but, still noticeable).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭buzz_E

+ 1 from me for this comment.

Even if upc was in just the business parks and a few main roads.

Eircom are a disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

UPC dont do FTTH either.

• Advertisement

phog wrote: »
    UPC dont do FTTH either.

UPC is much faster then FTTC though and they do tv, not that that's brilliant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 Janrey

Does anyone have Eircom landline broadband in and around Miltown Malbay and if so,what is the quality like

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

O2 are doing a great job with mobile broadband in Clare but I suppose there are people out there that are really heavy internet users and would go for the fibre.

Godot. wrote: »
    O2 are doing a great job with mobile broadband in Clare but I suppose there are people out there that are really heavy internet users and would go for the fibre.

Once you go outside urban areas (which in themselves are very hit'n'miss between all the operators), they are a mess. Unfortunately they've massively over-sold their midband offering as broadband, and most of West Clare is suffering now as a result. o2 aren't alone in that, either.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

cgarvey wrote: »
    Once you go outside urban areas (which in themselves are very hit'n'miss between all the operators), they are a mess. Unfortunately they've massively over-sold their midband offering as broadband, and most of West Clare is suffering now as a result. o2 aren't alone in that, either.

I live in deepest darkest West Clare and getting 1MB speeds. Forests everywhere and the nearest neighbour is a 10 minute walk. I suppose it helps that the house is situated on a massive hill though. :)

Godot. wrote: »
    I live in deepest darkest West Clare and getting 1MB speeds. Forests everywhere and the nearest neighbour is a 10 minute walk. I suppose it helps that the house is situated on a massive hill though. :)

Great, and there are plenty like you; but that's not the norm. The technology isn't designed for mass/blanket cover of broadband. You might be near a mast which helps.

There was a reason the various operators stopped offering free trials (where you could borrow a modem and test it out at home)!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭WalkOn

I have see you eircom next to flannans all well.. Hope we get some fiber soon

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Chriss79

Hi!
    Is there any update on fiber brodband situation in Ennis? I'm interested in Tulla Road / Oakleigh Wood area. At the moment I'm with Vodafone, nevertheless line is capable of up to 3 mb/s. Real life is up to 2.5 mb/s which isn't good enough for me.
    Thanks
    Kris

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭johnam

I'm out the lahinch rd, and was told by Vodafone my line could handle 70Mb/s. I had been getting 5Mb/s up until monday morning when I got switched over, now I'm getting 67Mb/s with a 16MB/s upload.

According to speedtest.net that puts me faster than 98% of Ireland :eek:
    until they all sign up for fibre broadband that is... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Chriss79

johnam wrote: »
    I'm out the lahinch rd, and was told by Vodafone my line could handle 70Mb/s. I had been getting 5Mb/s up until monday morning when I got switched over, now I'm getting 67Mb/s with a 16MB/s upload.

According to speedtest.net that puts me faster than 98% of Ireland :eek:
    until they all sign up for fibre broadband that is... :rolleyes:

I'm so jealous! But it looks like that there is a hope :-)
    Vodafone is changing you any extra for that?

Advertisement