Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who do you think are the hardest players?

• 10-01-2013 12:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

I think Tommy Smith the old Liverpool legend tops the list in my book, his autobiography Anfield Iron is a good read, ( not what you think if there's any Cockneys reading )

I'd also nominate Steve McMahon, Roy Keane, Patrick Viera, John Giles and Jimmy Case.

People like Graeme Souness,Michael Brown, Neil Ruddock, Vinnie Jones,Julian Dicks, Ben Thatcher, John Hartson don't cut it in my opinion, these are malicious w**kers not hard men, the types who pick and choose their victims.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

The term 'hard man' in relation to football, with the examples you have given, should be understood as 'violent thugs using football to legitimise their violence'. No hard men like those footballers would survive these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

dd972 wrote: »

I'd also nominate Roy Keane .

People like Graeme Souness,Michael Brown, Neil Ruddock, Vinnie Jones,Julian Dicks, Ben Thatcher, John Hartson don't cut it in my opinion, these are malicious w**kers not hard men, the types who pick and choose their victims.

There is something about that which I can't quite put my finger on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Leaving his personal twatishness aside John Terry is prob the hardest premier league footballer imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Graeme Le Saux

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

As above - Keane was certainly no more hard that Souness. Look at his approach to Shearer, petty and almost cowardly.
    He doesn't belong in there with Chopper Harris, Case, Smith, Bremner, Nobby Stiles, Big Jack, Joe Jordan, Norman Hunter, Ron Yeats, Davie MacKay...

These days, without the gratuitous violence, the likes of Carra, Skrtel, Hangeland, Vidic, Essien, Cattermole and De Jong all have current form, and Duncan Ferguson, Dennis Wise, Vinny Jones, Bowyer have all broken a few rules over the years...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Gerrard, hes big and hes f**king hard. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Jaap Stam and Vidic.

Would not mind having a Souness in my team either being honest.

dd972 wrote: »
    I think Tommy Smith the old Liverpool legend tops the list in my book, his autobiography Anfield Iron is a good read, ( not what you think if there's any Cockneys reading )

I'd also nominate Steve McMahon, Roy Keane, Patrick Viera, John Giles and Jimmy Case.

Not having Giles in your malicious **** group is lol, hes just as bad or worse than most of them when it came to that sort of thing. Keane too tbh. Far better players but had malicious tendencies nonetheless.

Oh I see where this is going now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Stuart Pearce - when England played France in 1992, Basile Boli punched him hard, straight in the face. Pearce got up, threw a face like he had no idea what just happened, and played on. Any of today's players would act as if they need hospitalising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Pablo Alfaro

Terry+Butcher+disagrees+_b302be8ef23eedb5ed9c7618427b460c.jpg

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Leaving his personal twatishness aside John Terry is prob the hardest premier league footballer imo.

No real hard man would ever cry over losing a match. More than once.

He thinks he's Terry Butcher, but he's more Pat Butcher...

john-terry-crying2_782147c.jpg

Pat Butcher

pat.jpg

John Terry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

“I have been safe this season but in 2010-11 when we won the FA Cup, it was the worst of my life!

“I had 21 stitches in my face – 13 in my forehead, three on top of my head – and had my nose broken twice. It was a horrible year.

“In my first game against Chelsea I got an elbow from Florent Malouda and my eye was swollen up. People were saying ‘Welcome to the Premier League!’ But I said ‘That’s OK, because I am strong myself, and I will fight for every single ball’.”

article-1388079-0C1EAD5F00000578-883_634x343.jpg

Jaap Stam and Vidic.

Would not mind having a Souness in my team either being honest.

Stam for me was like Hyypia - imposing and hard to get change from, but not typically "hard".

Souness (as with Giles) gets passed off as hard man like Chopper Harris or Bates, but he was a supreme footballer - great passer, great leader, had a thunderous shot. He was a great all around footballer, hence why the Italians took a shine to him.

Dickerty wrote: »
    Stam for me was like Hyypia - imposing and hard to get change from, but not typically "hard".

Souness (as with Giles) gets passed off as hard man like Chopper Harris or Bates, but he was a supreme footballer - great passer, great leader, had a thunderous shot. He was a great all around footballer, hence why the Italians took a shine to him.

See what you say, but been hard man does not mean you were average footballer.

Souness was a quailty player(from what I seen). He was both tough and quailty footballer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Martin Keown.

Pat Butcher

pat.jpg

John Terry

Hes an animal on the pitch, goes the extra mile from a commitment pov compared to most, regularly puts his body in where it hurts, bravery verging on stupidity or madness but there's no denying his hardness. And apart from his moment of indiscretion against Barca last season he's actually had shockingly few cards or moments of indiscipline for a player applying his trade at centre back for as long as he has, especially one who relies on the physical side of the game so much to fend off opponents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Do you know wha' really 'ard is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Probably telling my age here but hardest players I remember are (not in any order) :
    Mick Harford
    Joe Parkinson
    Barry Horne
    Greame Souness
    Terry Butcher
    Mick McCarthy
    Paulo Montero
    Stuart Pearce
    Richard Gough
    Steve McMahon
    Pat Van Den Hauwe

I based this on players who could take a kick too and not roll around for 5 mins after a tackle.

• Advertisement

Martin Keown.

Tony Adams
    Steve Bruce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,391 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Danny Dyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

Mark Hughes, his ability to control and shield the ball while being battered hasnt been seen since.
    Bryan Robson was another as was Kevin Moran

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

I'd label John Terry as genuinely 'hard', despite his being a hateful person - and the propensity to blub. He's played through injury that would sideline most people, and has displayed a spectacular disregard for his personal safety throughout his career. I'd just fancy his chances in a given scrap.

Vidic is another, and I'd agree with previous posters re Mark Hughes.

One lad I'm not 100% on is Dennis Wise - he never let himself get physically dominated despite giving up a good half foot in height to the average PL footballer. But I've yet to decide whether he was a genuine hard man or just an absolute psychopath.

geeky wrote: »
    One lad I'm not 100% on is Dennis Wise - he never let himself get physically dominated despite giving up a good half foot in height to the average PL footballer. But I've yet to decide whether he was a genuine hard man or just an absolute psychopath.

A very fine line, Bowyer was even closer to that line. Wise seemed to know how to keep a lid on it, he was a wind up merchant, remember his sly pinch on Nicky Butt?

geeky wrote: »

Agree.

Dennis Wise was not even related to hard. Never got that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

blankets-630x332.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

Pat Butcher

pat.jpg

John Terry

article-1277310819288-0A2A7CD6000005DC-706696_636x351.jpg?w=636

diaby-terry.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Bert Trautmann. A German prisoner of war who somehow managed to make a career as a footballer in England in the immediate aftermath of World War II. He faced down a protest of 20,000 people when he signed for Manchester City before he eventually won them over and then played on in an FA Cup final in which he broke his neck but played on before collecting his winners medal with a "noticeably crooked" neck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

The moment I read this thread I thought of this 'tackle':

As someone said, only Souness would try to tackle someone while he had the ball! I love the commentator saying 'that's certainly a booking', he'd be banned for a few matches nowadays...

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Caveman1 wrote: »

diaby-terry.jpg

All they prove is he cant time a header. Souness for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Keane was nails. He made some dirty tackles but he was as tough as they come physically and mentally.

Mark Hughes was also a tough customer. Built like a brick ****house and could hold the ball up forever.

Duncan Ferguson would probably be my choice, though. Mental but also tough as ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Why did the OP get a yellow card?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Always thought Hamann was reasonably hard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

Anyone wrote: »
    All they prove is he cant time a header. Souness for me.

:confused:

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

noodler wrote: »
    Always thought Hamann was reasonably hard.

Played champions league final with a broken foot, and slotted away his penalty, fairly impressive.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

To be proper hard you have to do it off the pitch. And not to kids like joey barton.
    Duncan ferguson:
    When Carl Bishop smashed his way into a grand house on a leafy avenue in Formby, Merseyside, successfully evading the security system, he was delighted to find a bounty of champagne and whisky. But there was one 6ft 4in item of anti-burglary technology that he had reckoned without: the Everton striker Duncan Ferguson. Bishop tried to smash a bottle of vodka over the footballer's head, before feeling the full force of "Big Dunc's" fist in his face – the thief was confined to hospital for two days. It was the second attempted robbery that Ferguson had foiled in his home; two years earlier, in 2001, he had sat on a thief until the police arrived.

Leonardo Bonucci
     Juventus defender Leonardo Bonucci faced down an armed robber who pointed a pistol at his head before chasing the assailant as he tried to get away, Italian media reports said on Saturday.The Italy international was with his wife and baby son at a car dealership in Turin on Thursday, looking to buy a Ferrari, when a man with his face covered pointed a gun at his head and demanded that he give him his watch.Bonucci refused and instead punched the thief, knocking him to the ground before chasing him as he tried to get away on a scooter with his accomplice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Dave McGill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Ronald koman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

Abuse I'd say. Derogatory term like w*nker
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    article-1388079-0C1EAD5F00000578-883_634x343.jpg
    Caveman1 wrote: »

diaby-terry.jpg

If taking tackles and hits counts as a hard man then why not include Xabi Alonso? In one season with Liverpool I lost count of the amount of times someone went in two feet on him and got sent off. And of course, who could forget De Jong's 'tackle'? He's taken more than his fair share of bad tackles and played on, so by that rationale he should get a mention too

My vote would go to Gattuso. He could put the fear of God into any opponent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Samir Nasri

MCMU11_600x338_1635089a.jpg

Yeah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

I presume for his reference of certain players just being wa#kers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Stefan Effenberg was pretty tough in the modern game, I'd say the only player never to look really intimidated by Roy Keane.

Franny Lee was meant to animal!

Mars bars reign of terror obv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Victor Wanyama

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

From the 70s - Kevin Hector, Kenny Burns, Larry Lloyd.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

Harald Schumacher - put a french player into a coma

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

leonidas83 wrote: »

He wasn't hard, he was a thug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

leonidas83 wrote: »

IMO, thats not being hard, its just assaulting a player on a football pitch

• Advertisement
Advertisement