Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who do you think are the hardest players?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Norman Hunter was a weed! Franny Lee battered him, check out the footage.

Hunter got a cheap shot in at the start.

Montero was an animal.

Mick Harford is without the hardest player to ever play the game, beast of a player.

Also, anybody mention Kevin Moran yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

bullvine wrote: »
    Norman Hunter was a weed! Franny Lee battered him, check out the footage.

Thanks for that - I was going to go into further detail about that incident but thought my post was already getting a bit long.

For the record - I thought myself Norman came off second best in that scuffle (which seemed to go on for about two seasons) - that does not take away from the fact that Norman had a justifiable reputation for being a hard player.

After that incident I always had a certain respect for Frannie, in that here was a player who could look after himself - however paradoxically I never thought of him as a hard player. There you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

efb wrote: »
    Is 'hard' a good thing or a bad thing?
    If he plays for your team, good. If he plays for the opposition, bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Keane and Souness were very very similar to me.

Both great captains.
    Both hard.
    Both great footballers.
    Both scored big goals when they were needed.
    Both lead by example.
    Both great passers of the ball.
    Both able to keep the ball when needed.
    Both capable of a bad tackle when the red mist descended.
    Both hated by opposition fans wherever they went.
    Both loved by their respective team mates.

Thanks for that - I was going to go into further detail about that incident but thought my post was already getting a bit long.

For the record - I thought myself Norman came off second best in that scuffle (which seemed to go on for about two seasons) - that does not take away from the fact that Norman had a justifiable reputation for being a hard player.

After that incident I always had a certain respect for Frannie, in that here was a player who could look after himself - however paradoxically I never thought of him as a hard player. There you go.

Yeah, Hunter was tough but I think he was more of a bully than just really hard when Lee put it up to him you could see he was all over the shop.

There was a fantastic documentary made about 10 years ago on Channel 4 about footballs hardest 11, does anybody remember it. As far I remember they had Gentile, Goecohea, Souness, Keane, etc in it. Must try and dig it out. But the team consisted of players who could play and weren't just thugs.

bullvine wrote: »
    There was a fantastic documentary made about 10 years ago on Channel 4 about footballs hardest 11, does anybody remember it. As far I remember they had Gentile, Goecohea, Souness, Keane, etc in it. Must try and dig it out. But the team consisted of players who could play and weren't just thugs.

I do recall that and I've a notion that Montero was quite high up in their rankings - very much open to correction of course.

Incidentally, as a football mad kid in the early seventies, South American football wa something of an unknown world, with knowledge limited to both Celtic and Man United's experiences in the world club championships. As a consequence, in our minds back then, Argentinian football had a reputation for violence and terror!! :)

Imagine our shock a few years later when England went on a South American tour in 1977 that included a "friendly" against Argentina in La Bombonera (sp?) and the ferociously named Daniel Killer appeared in defence!! :D

12080507134288618.jpg

I know very little about his stye of play, but surely he has the hardest name? :p

He looks hard!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

And both poor managers! :)

J.
    eigrod wrote: »
    Keane and Souness were very very similar to me.

Both great captains.
    Both hard.
    Both great footballers.
    Both scored big goals when they were needed.
    Both lead by example.
    Both great passers of the ball.
    Both able to keep the ball when needed.
    Both capable of a bad tackle when the red mist descended.
    Both hated by opposition fans wherever they went.
    Both loved by their respective team mates.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

jasonb wrote: »
    And both poor managers! :)

J.

Souness won trophies with teams in England Scotland and Turkey.
    Not bad for a poor manager.

Keane won the championship with Sunderland - hasn't done much since

In fairness to Souness, there's far worse Managers than him out there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

EdenHazard wrote: »
    he just seems like a terrible tackler. its so funny at like 1.25 he makes a big dash for the player and attacks him from behind only for him to be the one who ends up on his back. the typical football hardman :)

Let me ask you this.
    I know you are not that old, you cant help that but did you base your opinion on Neeskens's hardness on 1 moment in a 2 minute clip?

Or did you ever see him play a full match?

Souness won trophies with teams in England Scotland and Turkey.
    Not bad for a poor manager.

Quite right, and he always had an eye for talent, for example, giving Georg Weah's cousin his chance at Southampton!! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭The Mulk

He actually looks tougher now then when he was a player.

Tough nut.

I remember reading an article about the hardest team(team of psychos) in English foot-balling history,(4-4-2 or one of the other mags). They gave it to the Birmingham team of 82-84. Mick Harford, Howard Gayle, Dave Langan, Pat van den Hauwe. Julian Dicks was an apprentice with them to name but a few.
    There was one player who transferred to Villa but wore a Birm. City badge over the villa crest every game. During a derby between the two he went up to take a Villa corner and the villa fans seen the badge and started to boo him. He just turned around and booted the ball straight at them.
    He was sold back to birmingham soon afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

The Mulk wrote: »
    I remember reading an article about the hardest team(team of psychos) in English foot-balling history,(4-4-2 or one of the other mags). They gave it to the Birmingham team of 82-84. Mick Harford, Howard Gayle, Dave Langan, Pat van den Hauwe. Julian Dicks was an apprentice with them to name but a few.
    There was one player who transferred to Villa but wore a Birm. City badge over the villa crest every game. During a derby between the two he went up to take a Villa corner and the villa fans seen the badge and started to boo him. He just turned around and booted the ball straight at them.
    He was sold back to birmingham soon afterwards.

Think that was Robert Hopkins, a bag average player to say the least

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Leaving his personal twatishness aside John Terry is prob the hardest premier league footballer imo.

Never seen him as a hard player, more a puffed up strutting odious Estuary man, lost count of the amount of times I've seen him squaring up to players giving it the big chops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭elgriff

And still no mention yet of the dirtiest player in modern times
    Paul Scholes

A0xgi8WCQAEYbQ4.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

Roberto Ayala.

Tough as nails

Advertisement