Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fallout 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Damn I'm enjoying this!
    What difficulty are people playing on?

Moved it up to hard so I'd have to make use of VATs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Pip Boy edition arrived today from Amazon.fr, will be out of town till tomorrow evening, but am off work for the rest of the week because of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Seems critic and user reviews are bringing this one back to earth following all the hype. User reviews in particular are hammering it.

Just like Bioshock Infinite and MGS, once the dust has settled there's swell of opinion that overall it's a disappointment. The "OMG DIS IS THE BESTEST GAME EVAR!!11!" brigade will hopefully by quietened by more measured sentiment on whether its really a bit of let down. Which it seems to be :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Man I can't play this game. Like quality wise there's nowt wrong with it, but its another of those games where the movement and the camera gives me motion sickness. So it shall have to go on the pile with Fallout 3, new Vegas, both portal games, half life 1 and 2, and Left 4 Dead :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Very disappointed, this isn't Fallout

It a dumbed down FPS shooter, think I will just go back to Witcher 3

Thankfully I sold it to a friend, I warned him but he's caught up by the hype

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I've only played around two hours, but to quote David Byrne: 'same as it ever was'.

After Witcher 3 and MGSV really raised expectations of the level of polish and finesse that can be brought to open worlds, Gamebryo can't help but feel long in the tooth at this point - and frankly I already thought Skyrim was pushing it. There's a bit more sheen this time for sure, but the same jankiness, dead-eyed characters, crude animation and so on continue to stand out. The art design so far does, thankfully, seem more vibrant, but there's definitely a decidedly last gen feel about the game (and that's on ultra settings, 60-70 frames a second). I should note, though, that PipBoy is alive and kicking - his little thumbs up when you persuade a character is a delight.

The game itself is more of the same too, for good and bad. I always preferred Fallout 3 to the Elder Scrolls games, even though I had plenty of issues with it. The setting is simply IMO significantly more interesting. There's more polish here for sure, and everything's a bit smoother (bar the menus, which seem surprisingly clunky if I'm being honest!), and sometimes a little blander as a result (the power suit just makes the game feel like any bog standard FPS). The narrative setup is engaging - absolutely the right decision to have a voiced protagonist, TBH - but the scripting is so-so (it doesn't help that Gamebryo continues to struggle at convincingly rendering dramatic situations involving people - best when it comes to sweeping vistas). Still, the Fallout draw is undoubtedly there - the retro chic post-apocalypse; the remnants of civilisation; the nooks and crannies holding all sorts of crap (a mixed blessing :pac:). And the progression system so far seems like one of the smartest in any recent RPG, plus boasts the slickest interface to boot.

It's more Fallout 3 with just enough changes to differentiate it. For some that will be more than enough. For others it won't be nearly enough. I can't help but feel a little disappointed that amidst the open world arms race going on at the moment, this seems rather timidly, almost reluctantly evolutionary rather than proudly revolutionary given that its predecessors were at the forefront of the whole thing a few years back. Still, two hours is a drop in the ocean all things considered, but initial impressions? Same as it ever was.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Man I can't play this game. Like quality wise there's nowt wrong with it, but its another of those games where the movement and the camera gives me motion sickness. So it shall have to go on the pile with Fallout 3, new Vegas, both portal games, half life 1 and 2, and Left 4 Dead :(

I've had that before and modifying the FoV helps. (if you are playing PC)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,437 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

A good guide to read before starting...enjoying it so far...

http://www.gamesradar.com/fallout-4-tips/

I did nothing after I got the sanctuary mission tonight but gather materials and set about cleaning the place up and putting uf steal fences and deadly turrets, best secure the perimeter 1st :)

• f9SMiXC.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

feels a bit too consolised. Im enjoying it (I hate the way I talk.... just shut up and take lessons from Gordon Freeman or Crono!) but I can literally smell the "simplification" going on as far as levelling and that is concerned. Even the menu's and chat... quite consolised.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I'm enjoying it thus far. Have finished the Sanctuary mission but I don't want to rush into too many missions just yet.

Gathering materials is far more fun in virtual world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

BMMachine wrote: »
    feels a bit too consolised. Im enjoying it (I hate the way I talk.... just shut up and take lessons from Gordon Freeman or Crono!) but I can literally smell the "simplification" going on as far as levelling and that is concerned. Even the menu's and chat... quite consolised.

This, I am looking forward to the UI mods.

• I've only played around two hours, but to quote David Byrne: 'same as it ever was'.

After Witcher 3 and MGSV really raised expectations of the level of polish and finesse that can be brought to open worlds, Gamebryo can't help but feel long in the tooth at this point - and frankly I already thought Skyrim was pushing it. There's a bit now sheen Thurs time for sure, but the same jankiness, dead-eyed characters, crude animation and so on continue to stand out. The art design so far does, thankfully, seem more vibrant, but there's definitely a decidedly last gen feel about the game (and that's on ultra settings, 60-70 frames a second). I should note, though, that PipBoy is alive and kicking - his little thumbs up when you persuade a character is a delight.

The game itself is more of the same too, for good and bad. I always preferred Fallout 3 to the Elder Scrolls games, even though I had plenty of issues with it. The setting is simply IMO significantly more interesting. There's more polish here for sure, and everything's a bit smoother (bar the menus, which seem surprisingly clunky if I'm being honest!), and sometimes a little blander as a result (the power suit just makes the game feel like any bog standard FPS). The narrative setup is engaging - absolutely the right decision to have a voiced protagonist, TBH - but the scripting is so-so (it doesn't help that Gamebryo continues to struggle at convincingly rendering dramatic situations involving people - best when it comes to sweeping vistas). Still, the Fallout draw is undoubtedly there - the retro chic post-apocalypse; the remnants of civilisation; the nooks and crannies holding all sorts of crap (a mixed blessing :pac:). And the progression system so far seems like one of the smartest in any recent RPG, plus boasts the slickest interface to boot.

It's more Fallout 3 with just enough changes to differentiate it. For some that will be more than enough. For others it won't be nearly enough. I can't help but feel a little disappointed that amidst the open world arms race going on at the moment, this seems rather timidly, almost reluctantly evolutionary rather than proudly revolutionary given that its predecessors were at the forefront of the whole thing a few years back. Still, two hours is a drop in the ocean all things considered, but initial impressions? Same as it ever was.

I'm 7 hours in and its improved on fallout 3 in every conceivable way for me. Story, graphics (yes the graphics) shooting mechanics and gunplay in general, resource management, loot system improvements, the suttle tweak to vats which is class, most of the animations (combat animations in particular although I will admit some dialog can be stiff), the fact that it's nearly fully voice acted, and the world is denser (as in it feels more alive and exploring every nook and cranny is just much more interesting that just a loot run).
    I could go on but that's what I have expected from this sequal. What I would doc it for is I have ran into some minor bugs with audio but I haven't had any issues with fps dispite the reports of problems.
    Thing is you will have two sides of the fence. The ones who will over criticise and the ones who will love it. I love it.
    Add in the base building which is a great distraction and nearly a game on its own.

In a nutshell you can't keep everyone happy but what I can say for sure they built on what made fallout 3 a great game and made it better so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Pretty much the only thing that is disappointing to me is that so much of the music from fallout 3 is reused. But that's only minor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

Wing126 wrote: »
    I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Pretty much the only thing that is disappointing to me is that so much of the music from fallout 3 is reused. But that's only minor.

I noticed that too but brings me back listening to it! Miss three dog though

can you stash your building mats in one place and access from another :confused:

Thought I saw a pop up or tool tip about that somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

For all the PC people who have movement or mouse issues you need to change a line of code in your Falloutpref.ini file.

Which is to set 'iPresentInterval' to 0 instead of 1.
    This will change your mouse to Raw Input...instead of that weird laggy way it moves (it was the same in Skyrim and Fallout 3)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Sitting in my hotel and reading a lot of first day impressions, it is really striking me as MGS V hype, I hope when I get my hands on it tomorrow it deviates itself from the pack, hell for me Dragon Quest Heroes was far more enjoyable than MGS V and Far Cry 4.

There have not been many games recently that have transcended a games early few hours hype and have continued and improved on it up till end game, no point throwing the kitchen sink at a game for the first 8 hours, only for it not to improve and skirt the same direction for the next 80 hours, while ignoring the ridiculous repetitiveness of near end game missions we saw in MGS V.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

Xenji wrote: »
    Sitting in my hotel and reading a lot of first day impressions, it is really striking me as MGS V hype, I hope when I get my hands on it tomorrow it deviates itself from the pack, hell for me Dragon Quest Heroes was far more enjoyable than MGS V and Far Cry 4.

There have not been many games recently that have transcended a games early few hours hype and have continued and improved on it up till end game, no point throwing the kitchen sink at a game for the first 8 hours, only for it not to improve and skirt the same direction for the next 80 hours, while ignoring the ridiculous repetitiveness of near end game missions we saw in MGS V.

I dont know if you can get bored in this game, i have spent the guts of 24 hours playing this now, excluding short sleep last night of course, but i havent even done more than 5 quests mainly side quests. i also havent even gone near settlement building or crafting items, I am literally wandering around the map discovering locations, gunning down raiders and mutants alike.

Discovered a type of super mutant I never thought id meet, not good at all considering the speed he runs after you at!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

Got a lot of this in after a busy day today and was well impressed. Improvements all around and well smoother than 3. Best thing is probably the different 'personalities' given to the different enemies, like how Mole Rats and Radscorpions ambush from burrowing, or the Feral Ghouls are often lying zombie like until they rise to attack your unsuspecting character. Power armour and crafting mechanics are vastly improved. Haven't seen where the story goes yet, but the amount of intetioal ambiguity in the opening adds a good level of intrigue. Loved the surprise at the end of the power armour quest also; the one in the town that stands with C.

Also managed to find two legendary enemies already. I thought they were supposed to be rare? Anyone find the Robotics Disposal Site yet?

can you stash your building mats in one place and access from another :confused:

Thought I saw a pop up or tool tip about that somewhere.

No, you can store all your junk in one toolbox in one location, and then access that junk from the other toolboxes in that location, but not from another location.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Fallout Review

So what you're saying is Fallout. Fallout never changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Jeez a lot of negativity on here all of a sudden

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Bonesy.

I've spent the last hour looking for copper to build that radio antenna and still can't find any ! Where can I find hot plates or fuses??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

make sure you update your graphics driver to the latest beta versions, i got a massive fps boost doing this;

AMD cards;

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/latest-catalyst-windows-beta.aspx

or NVIDIA;

http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/94208

really enjoying the game so far. it's not a massive change from fallout 3 tbh, but i fecking loved that game, so that's cool with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

froog wrote: »
    make sure you update your graphics driver to the latest beta versions, i got a massive fps boost doing this;

AMD cards;

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/latest-catalyst-windows-beta.aspx

or NVIDIA;

http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/94208

really enjoying the game so far. it's not a massive change from fallout 3 tbh, but i fecking loved that game, so that's cool with me.
    +1 on this, earlier on I was seeing a few graphics probs at the
    water pump where you have to turn the three valves back on
    , I had to log off when there so before going back on I updated my drivers it was fixed straight away.

Bonesy. wrote: »
    I've spent the last hour looking for copper to build that radio antenna and still can't find any ! Where can I find hot plates or fuses??

Raid every house in Sanctuary, you should get some stuff you need. Check factories too if you've already cleared them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Is there any easy way to scrap your junk other than dropping it on the floor then going to building mode?

I haven't been raided yet by any bandits but I'm assuming the only entry points are the 2 bridges over the river out of town, so that's where I should set up defences?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Gandalph wrote:
    Is there any easy way to scrap your junk other than dropping it on the floor then going to building mode?

Go up to your workbench and press Y (Xbox controls) to auto store all your junk.

Advertisement