Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fallout 4

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Deep Six

I don't understand negative reaction against this game, most likely dickheads who think graphics trump gameplay. This is Goty for me without a doubt, nothing else this year has grabbed me as much as Fallout 4 has. Over 24 hours in now and still loving every second of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I actually screamed when a mirelurk popped out of nowhere and hit me in a dark tunnel tonight, haven't screamed from a shock since I was a child...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Got the
    power armor early in concorde
    . Is that a deathclaw I see?

COME ON BRO. T45 here.

hqdefault.jpg

Nope, nope, nope, nope, nope..... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

Thargor wrote: »
    I actually screamed when a mirelurk popped out of nowhere and hit me in a dark tunnel tonight, haven't screamed from a shock since I was a child...

A Radscorpion popped up as I was in a little shack. I damn near woke the whole road up with my scream.

Deep Six wrote: »
    I don't understand negative reaction against this game, most likely dickheads who think graphics trump gameplay. This is Goty for me without a doubt, nothing else this year has grabbed me as much as Fallout 4 has. Over 24 hours in now and still loving every second of it.

Not GOTY for me, and not because it's a bad game . I'm loving it but the witcher 3 happened this year :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Deep Six

Not GOTY for me, and not because it's a bad game . I'm loving it but the witcher 3 happened this year :)

Maybe it's a personal thing, but the Witcher 3 is simply no comparison to Fallout 4 imo. Found it boring as **** :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Just started this today and have 2 minor questions. Whats the story with hacking terminals and the password, i have no clue how it works.
    Also should i be scrapping everything in sight in santuary to go towards my base building?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    Just started this today and have 2 minor questions. Whats the story with hacking terminals and the password, i have no clue how it works.
    Also should i be scrapping everything in sight in santuary to go towards my base building?

Think of the terminals like a game of mastermind, you are given how many letters in the word you picked are in the final correct word. You can deduce the actual word if you play it smart and apply some logic.

If you still have not gotten the word by the third try then you can click on any strings encapsulated with <>, {},[] or (). The strings will be garbage so you have to look out real carefully sometimes. This will either reset your try count back to 4 tries or remove a dud word from the screen.

Anything that is highlighted in orange in workshop mode should be scrapped for the materials.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

I had to restart at an earlier level because of a bit of a problem with a bug, mentioned earlier in the thread. Not too annoyed but did manage to lose out on some
    BoS Combat Armour for left and right arms and left leg
    . Pretty sure I picked it up of one of their people, but I can't remember for the life of me who or where. Would anyone have any notion where I might find it?

Spoiler is BoS related, but not a game spoiler or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

As you said, it does appear to be from those who believe graphics have to come first when making a game. It's an attitude I despise, to be honest. This game is better looking than it's previous installments - not by much, but it is a gorgeous looking game, I think. I actually turned on Fallout 3 using my free digital copy and it still looks amazing. I'm a very open-minded gamer and I am always pleased with the smallest things. This game is unreal. And what the f**k am I doing sitting here gabbing away, I'm taking advantage of my weekend and staying up even longer to play this beast :P G'luck! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Dogmeat and I are trapped in the national guard armoury with an angry sentry bot. Someone halp.

(Genuinely have no way out, this is terrifying)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Dogmeat and I are trapped in the national guard armoury with an angry sentry bot. Someone halp.

Do you have a stealth boy? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

As you said, it does appear to be from those who believe graphics have to come first when making a game. It's an attitude I despise, to be honest.

I have been playing video games since pong and have seen every art style and generation of art and graphics in modern and classical gaming. Gameplay always comes first but you have to stick with the times as well. I can no longer become engrossed in a game with sub par graphics when I have played games like the witcher 3. It becomes totally unrealistic to me and the models feel more like action figures than real people. This is a huge problem for at least me and a significant amount of others out there.

It is an RPG and they should have improved upon the features that would have brought you more into the game world and the fantasy. Instead you have terrible actor animations, bad mouth syncing and a static world that does not come alive except for the odd weather effect.

I am playing it more as an action game than an rpg as I can not find myself actually in the role in my head.

That is without getting into the technical issues that I hope will be addressed sooner rather than later. Though some of them will not be due to the engine. I really cannot wait for them to move on from gamebyro which by the way is the same engine that morrowind was built on and still has some of the same major issues today that it had back then (largest being the over dependance on the cpu rather than gpu)

That is just my point of view though, take it as you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭sportstar583

Fallout 4 has been a lot of fun for me so far. Looking forward to putting in a lot of hours over thanksgiving break.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

There are plenty of cons to fo4 but also plenty of perks.

To say this game is infalible which a lot of the internet and gamers are claiming is simply wrong.
    • Graphics are last gen at best.
    • I have gotten stuck about a dozen times in the game, twice today within the space of an hour. only remedy is to re load.
    • Animations are very clunky.
    • Bad performance on some hardware, especially AMD. I have crossfire cards and get insane fps drops at times. Unnaceptable.
    • Game engine is a cobbled together mess that should have been retired with skyrim. It depends on the CPU for way too much

The list could go on really but I am sure you all have heard them already across the internet including this thread.

Saying all that I am enjoying the game. I have almost 20 hours put in and it would have been more had the new starcraft expansion not also been released at the same time.

I have not been engrossed in the game though, the world does not *pull* me in like it should. The witcher 3, even with its flaws such as the graphics downgrade does a much better job at that.

It is just very shoddily put together in some ways.

Hopefully they drop the engine for their next big release which would hopefully be the next TES in a few years.

Actually spot on.

The thing that damages fallout 4 mostly is its technical aspect, not the game it self. In a way the fallout name, setting and franchise saving this game.
    That engine was ancient when skyrim was out. They needed new engine for it. Not for eye candy only, but for performance, animations, cutting down on loading screens.

As above, all these technical issies really ****s up immersion. I. Just play away, but I am not swallowed by world. Witcher 3 on the other hand just completely takes me over. I can do feck all in it and that living, breathing beautiful world just makes me forget about everything. Haven't had that in ages.

25 hours in and I am really enjoying the game. For love of god, last 3 days I sleep 4-5 hours, work 10-11h shifts, the rest is fast shower, text to misses, fags and fallout 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

In my eyes people who say gameplay over graphics, are as bad as who won't play game which has bad graphics. Both sides have tunnel vision.

You don't need to look far for good examples. Wasteland 2 - **** graphics and post apocalyptic world ( a grand father of fallout series) . Amazing game with great game play with functional engine and graphics.
    Fallout 4 graphics and engine actually interfares with gameplay. Animation which make shooter mechanics abysmal, can't make NPC hubs bigger then match boxes, because if too many of tjem it **** itself, long loading screens, glitches and bugs, fps drops. It wants to look pretty, but it doesn't, which makes gameplay suffer. Its a lot better when game know that its not pretty, but it has its own style and make it functional.

What I am saying it's not black and white world when it comes gameplay vs graphics topic anymore. Specially when there are games who manage to pull off both aspects and don't have your companions blocking your ****ing way ( due to their horrible path finding and animations), when you trying to fall back and not get shot in a face.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

People talking about how the graphics are "last gen" like that's the worst thing ever.... You'd swear last gen was a Commodore 64 the way it's being described.
    It's not the most polished game on the market... But it has been in development for the last few years. And it's not exactly ugly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Anything that is highlighted in orange in workshop mode should be scrapped for the materials.

What about the stuff highlighted in blue?

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭CiaranW

Not sure if it was mentioned above, but how do the magazines work?
    I know we get the bonus from them but do you have to keep them in your inventory or can you sell them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

It's permanent from when you read it. Sell if you want.

Edit: more fun to display them in your house though :)

• Advertisement

got a nice perk from a magazine it think and forgot I had it , works like Jet but without the chem addiction , slows time when health gets to 20% :)

Edit: Actually it's a perk from Martyr's right leg armor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

People talking about how the graphics are "last gen" like that's the worst thing ever.... You'd swear last gen was a Commodore 64 the way it's being described.
    It's not the most polished game on the market... But it has been in development for the last few years. And it's not exactly ugly.

Exactly. And to be honest, I do not really play Bethesda open world games for their graphics. Its more the exploration and endless hunt to find as much loot as possible.

A Neurotic wrote: »

That was the hardest foe I encountered and I'm level 27 or so.

I expended a hell of a lot of ammo/health on him including pulse grenades/mines etc.

I suppose the difficulty was reflected in the loot though, he had two Fusion Cores for the armour.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I pretty much ignored most sidequests and finished the main storyline in about 14 hours.

I feel empty inside really :P Back to the sidequests to fill me up.

I pretty much ignored most sidequests and finished the main storyline in about 14 hours.

I feel empty inside really :P Back to the sidequests to fill me up.

IT'S A F*CKING EMOTIONAL ROLLERCOASTER!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭madcabbage

I can't understand people not happy with the graphics, i think the game looks pretty the way it is. A hell a lot more color than the depressing world of Fallout 3. Besides the gameplay is what matters here, so much to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

That was the hardest foe I encountered and I'm level 27 or so.

I expended a hell of a lot of ammo/health on him including pulse grenades/mines etc.

I suppose the difficulty was reflected in the loot though, he had two Fusion Cores for the armour.

I threw down onto bottle cap mime while he was charging at me and that was enough!

I don't know what to do now that I'm finished. Think I'm going to create a new save next week and work on a melee/stealth/pickpocket thief style while maintaining my completed game file for side quests and my sanctuary.

So many choices :(

Also need to find the best power armor -_-

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I really don't understand people saying graphics are poor, they are superb for me on PC.
    I understand on consoles framerate barely reaches 30fps and drops much lower at times, on PC I'm getting 90-144 fps on 144hz gsync monitor and it looks and plays superbly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,100 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Did anyone try the SPECIAL book glitch that was on the Reddit page ?

Advertisement