Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fallout 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

This is starting to make gains vs The Witcher as GOTY tbh, once you start getting into it and modding your weapons, scavenging, exploring properly etc it really starts to click. Witcher was near perfection and this is rough around the edges but it might have the edge when it comes to pure fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Thargor wrote: »
    This is starting to make gains vs The Witcher as GOTY tbh, once you start getting into it and modding your weapons, scavenging, exploring properly etc it really starts to click. Witcher was near perfection and this is rough around the edges but it might have the edge when it comes to pure fun.

I love it. And don't get much of the criticism some have aimed at it. It is rough around the edges in some parts, but it is huge fun. I love it.
    That said... It falls way short of the Witcher in GOTY standings for me, but that was because Witcher was phenomenal for me... Especially since I only heard about it a week or so before release and wasn't caught up in the hype of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,843 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I'm so conflicted with GOTY. The Witcher 3 is phenomenal but Fallout 4 is just a different kind of fun and I've barely scratched the surface. Games Boards GOTY awards is gonna be a tough one.

Also: someone has a class power armour setup

12244561_1088905544466655_4886264135760372055_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Gonna have to assume you've all either temporarily forgotten about or have not yet played Crypt of the Necrodancer, yo :cool:

While I'd say most cop quickly that human NPC companions will use grenades if you store them on them, I just learned the hard way they'll use Stealth Boys.

Gave Danse about 6 and when I first noticed him using it he had 3 left.
    That was in just 5 mins so they'll use them quick.

Wish they didn't use anything you gave them.
    Makes Dogmeat the best of them really.

• Advertisement

Ugggghhh I'll stop wandering and focus eventually .....

Anyway quick question about a BOS quest. Nothing major in terms of spoilers but will tag as it's passed the cool bit.
    I had the lost patrol active and finished , and had to report to Danse at the police station to turn it in, but I also had the quest to go to the airship active so he wanted to go there when I tried to turn in lost patrol, but he has no dialogue for that even after going to the airship with him , speaking to him there he only has the usual companion options to join you etc.
    will I be able to turn that in later or is it bugged on me :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I've given up trying to power my house. Generators, pylons, conduits and wires all over the place and it still only lights up about 40% of the house.

Scrapped every lightbulb, wire, pylon and generator I had out of rage. I'm living off the grid now.

Ugggghhh I'll stop wandering and focus eventually .....

Anyway quick question about a BOS quest. Nothing major in terms of spoilers but will tag as it's passed the cool bit.
    I had the lost patrol active and finished , and had to report to Danse at the police station to turn it in, but I also had the quest to go to the airship active so he wanted to go there when I tried to turn in lost patrol, but he has no dialogue for that even after going to the airship with him , speaking to him there he only has the usual companion options to join you etc.
    will I be able to turn that in later or is it bugged on me :confused:

Same happened to me too.

Guess its frigged for most of us, might be able to avoid it happening if you don't meet him until you're ready to turn in for that quest.

Its probably only a small dialogue and coin transfer at that point(with some XP) as you at least got to do the leg work before it bugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Can someone explain critical hits to me.

In non VATs it's just random chance right?

In VATs I supposed to hit a button at the right moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Still have yet to be raided.
    I wonder it there a mission i need to complete before they start?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

quarryman wrote: »
    Can someone explain critical hits to me.

In non VATs it's just random chance right?

In VATs I supposed to hit a button at the right moment?

Square on ps4 uses a critical hit if you have it available... I always use it on a head shot as it never misses.

I have no idea about critical hits outside of VATS though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Who does everyone use as a companion ?
    I have the option between 7 or 8...but have stuck with Strong since I met him...he's pretty funny too.
    Are there any other companions worth spending an hour or 2 wandering about with for their stories or funny remarks (or for being useful) ?
    Strong is very...well..strong...and is a great meat shield running in with him sledgehammer or whatever you equip him with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

SeantheMan wrote: »
    I have the option between 7 or 8...but have stuck with Strong since I met him...he's pretty funny too.
    Are there any other companions worth spending an hour or 2 wandering about with for their stories or funny remarks (or for being useful) ?
    Strong is very...well..strong...and is a great meat shield running in with him sledgehammer or whatever you equip him with.

Codsworth is hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Can i store gear and loot on my dog? How do I do it?

Same happened to me too.

Guess its frigged for most of us, might be able to avoid it happening if you don't meet him until you're ready to turn in for that quest.

Its probably only a small dialogue and coin transfer at that point(with some XP) as you at least got to do the leg work before it bugs.

I got done, just had to progress BoS quest 1 or 2 missions and was able to turn it in to cpt. kell ? I think thats his name, black guy with a beard in a captains uniform.

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    Can i store gear and loot on my dog? How do I do it?

Yes just press action button when they are near and choose trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

SeantheMan wrote: »

Used dogmeat all the time. Now using Cait, because I enjoy very bad interpretation of Irish accent by Americans. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Using Cait at the moment, very handy for lock picking as I haven't applied the perks for it. The dialogue with her is gas. I've managed to unlocked her quest from having her with me for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

madcabbage wrote: »
    Using Cait at the moment, very handy for lock picking as I haven't applied the perks for it. The dialogue with her is gas. I've managed to unlocked her quest from having her with me for so long.

Thing is that in any fallout lockpicking and science ( hacking here) are to perks I always max out as soon as possible. So companions are pretty much redundant in that aspect for me.
    Haven't been stealing a lot in f4 at all. Just don't see the point and not much to steal.
    Cait is just some eye candy to travel with me. She can be funny, and as I said that horrible accent puts a smile on my face. :) Piper is just annoying as ****. Talking **** all the time, though she is a really good companion to start with amd level up in early stages of game.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

You can have companions hack and lock pick?!!

This fuckin' game needs a manual, I swear. I don't mind lock picking but after the tenth time that hacking minigame is an absolute chore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

Zillah wrote: »
    You can have companions hack and lock pick?!!

This fuckin' game needs a manual, I swear. I don't mind lock picking but after the tenth time that hacking minigame is an absolute chore.

Yeah, the game does a terrible job at telling you what you can do. Some people might say that is part of the game that you should have to explore and figure it out yourself. There is also the manual when you pause though but it is a pain to navigate.

Anyways, cait can lockpick and nick can hack. They can hack/pick master locks but they fail sometimes and if that happens they won't try again. It happened me at the
    bank vault with nick.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

lol there's no point using spoiler tags unless you give some context as to whether we want to look or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Was doing the early enough main quest to
    Find Kellogg with Nick Valentine.
    . I had collected a LOAD of junk and offloaded a lot of it onto my companion. Then at the end of the mission he basically pissed off and said he would meet me somewhere to progress the main story.

I was hoping he would stick with me so I could go back to my settlement and offload all my junk (including all the stuff I had him holding). I just hope now that when I do meet up with him again he still has all that crap I gave him. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

Noopti wrote: »
    Was doing the early enough main quest to
    Find Kellogg with Nick Valentine.
    . I had collected a LOAD of junk and offloaded a lot of it onto my companion. Then at the end of the mission he basically pissed off and said he would meet me somewhere to progress the main story.

I was hoping he would stick with me so I could go back to my settlement and offload all my junk (including all the stuff I had him holding). I just hope now that when I do meet up with him again he still has all that crap I gave him. :confused:

He will.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Used dogmeat all the time. Now using Cait, because I enjoy very bad interpretation of Irish accent by Americans.

She's actually Scottish IRL :P

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I'm only level 8, but I'm finding the whole thing extreme difficult. Didn't use power armour, but got slaughtered repeatedly at the first Corvega (sp?) plant mission. I bumped into some raiders near a bunker by the diner and they owned me as well. Am I making a mistake trying to go too far before levelling up or am I just awful at this game? I don't remember previous Fallout games to be this hard!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

I found it quite tricky at the beginning but as you learn how weapons, armour and the mechanics work is gets easier. Power armour helps too once you have the cores :p

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

BKtje wrote: »
    I found it quite tricky at the beginning but as you learn how weapons, armour and the mechanics work is gets easier. Power armour helps too once you have the cores :p
    That could be it. I have very little ammo except the .308 so I'm using a beefed up pipe rifle and pistol; even though I've modded them a good bit it's still like throwing feathers at most enemies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭brady12

I'm only level 8, but I'm finding the whole thing extreme difficult. Didn't use power armour, but got slaughtered repeatedly at the first Corvega (sp?) plant mission. I bumped into some raiders near a bunker by the diner and they owned me as well. Am I making a mistake trying to go too far before levelling up or am I just awful at this game? I don't remember previous Fallout games to be this hard!

I had same experience .soon you will get hang of it.It's hard at start alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Need to get some modded up weapons, being able to snipe a few before you go in to an area makes a big difference, find a hunting rifle and give it a big stock, scope and a long barrel. A good shotgun and a legendary laser rifle can be had very early on for the close in work. Grenades are good too this time round (if they hadnt decided to make them the same button as melee!)

Advertisement