Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fallout 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I have titanium T60 Model F (most of them) with a feckin Jet pack :D Its designed for attack pure and simple.

Have a few t45/50s that have mixed models. Have a glowing sea suit too for rads.

Missing 1 one piece for the X01 suit, and wont wear it until I have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

I believe the X-01 is the best power armour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    I believe the X-01 is the best power armour.

It is. Can't be obtained before level 30 (well 29).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Wing126 wrote: »
    How do I get protectron's to not aggro on me? I set their personality as subway steward and present them with subway tokens but they still kill me.

Ive only ever set them as Lae Enforcement and they never attack me, only thr ghouls or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

I've come across two so far, though I know where there's another two I just can't reach them yet. I must not be looking hard enough!

There's a few around to be had. A lot of merchants have blank power armor frames for sale. There's one sitting in Old Robotics Disposal Ground between USAF Satellite Station Olivia and Sanctuary. There's quite a lot of power armor and accessories to be had if you find Atom Cats garage and complete two fairly minor quests.

On a wider note, I've played through a bit so far and while I am generally loving the game, if I have one gripe so far it's the lack of diversity.

Where has all the variety gone? I know Bethesda have talked up the variety of weapon modding but seriously? IMO, a good sequel is one that takes the previous game, fixes the bugs, tweaks the game mechanics and builds on its success. I think the Far Cry series is a good example of this. Fallout New Vegas was a great example of this. It took Fallout 3, prettied up the graphics, widened the crafting system, introduced new locales, new enemy types and a much wider weapon selection. It also introduced factions and the fame/infamy system. With Fallout 4, Bethesda seem to have gone down the GTA IV route and compromised the content to improve the graphics.
    For example, right now the base game has 5 different base ballistic rifle types (assault, combat, hunting, pipe and railway) using 5 different ammo types. In New Vegas there were 14 different types using 9 different types of ammo. I know it's great to be able to have a simple, common homemade weapon in early game but it would be nice to see more sophisticated weapons in later game. Things like Bozar, the All-American, 12.7mm weapons etc. It would also be nice to have some fun weapons back like the K9000 cyberdog gun or some properly useful ones like the grenade launcher.
    Also, for all the talk of the different weapons modding options the scopes are all a bit limited. It's all well and good having a night vision scope on your sniper rifle at night but it's worse than useless in the middle of a sunny day. Since you can make glow sights, it might have been better to create illuminated reticles rather than night vision. Either that or have a night vision attachment that can be switched on or off like real snipers have. There's also something quite weird about having a traditional hunting style scope mounted on a plasma rifle. If you want to play immersively you're pretty much restricted to the recon scope on the energy weapons. A bit of diversity of reticles would be nice for immersion.
    Another thing, if we're going to be force fed the Borderlands style weapon system, it would be nice to have a few weapons which make sense in context of the plot. For example, a bow would be a really nice addition and works really well in this type of game (e.g. Far Cry 4). However, to be really useful the bow would need an ammo modding mechanic and that seems to have been removed too (although I can't see why).
    Oh, and one final note: Screw you Bethesda. I spent so much time in Fallout 3 and New Vegas looking in every container and every corner of every room in the game for enough abraxo cleaner and turpentine so I could make a small handful of Nuka grenades and now the bloody Abraxo is everywhere. And now that I can finally find the raw materials in sufficient quantities you've gone and removed the option to craft the Nuka grenade. WTH?

It would be nice to think that these problems will either be fixed in DLC or were deliberately held back by Bethesda to give the DLC more impact because they're needless drawbacks in an otherwise fine game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Very basic question here but how do i get rid of radiation?

It is. Can't be obtained before level 30 (well 29).

You can get the full set of X-01 in 35 Court (beside Custom House Tower) reliably from Level 28 although I've seen some people reporting it happening at Level 26.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

They offer higher defense and radiation prevention levels. You can also customise them more and more. For example the T60e offers a much larger defense rating. They can be upgraded also to offer more carry weight. I imagine a t60 can be upgraded to offer more carry weight than a t45 and I imagine the e model can offer more than the a. I've only got 4 suits myself so can't confirm and they're pretty heavily modified for carry weight and damage output.
    Ah I see, I thought they were all standard chassis's and you put the parts on them, will have to go back and take a look at the 2 I left in the field now...

DeSelby83 wrote: »

Use a radaway (in aid on your pip boy under imventroy) or speak to a doctor.

DeSelby83 wrote: »

Take some rad away or once you start encountering super mutants, the mutant hounds will drop mutant hound meat which can be cooked into mutant hound chops which remove 50 rads.

• Advertisement

oldrnwisr wrote: »
    You can get the full set of X-01 in 35 Court (beside Custom House Tower) reliably from Level 28 although I've seen some people reporting it happening at Level 26.

Yeah I'll find one eventually. Level definitely isn't a problem for me. Just want to explore all the locations and complete all side quests at this stage. Not going to go out of my way to just get the armor. I imagine I'll find some in surprise locations around the place :)

Edit: because I'm coming up to level 40 soon :s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

Yes telephones are the best source.

Light bulbs, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

The National Guard Training Yard has some aswell, but only if you visit it above 30. If you've been there before level 30 it doesn't spawn.

The National Guard Training Yard has some aswell, but only if you visit it above 30. If you've been there before level 30 it doesn't spawn.

Really? I went there early in the game to track down a copy of Covert Operations Manual and almost had my ass handed to me twice
    by a legendary ghoul inside and a Sentry Bot outside
    . Eventually though I made it into the bunker and took the power armor back to Red Rocket truckstop. A good bit later I went back and the entire area had respawned including a new set of Power Armor.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Well you can paint/upgarde different ones with different bonuses to suit your needs, charisma, strength etc..
    Customisation.

Yes, but, assuming you are upgrading your suit to the higher defense variants it would be prohibitively expensive to keep them all up to date? Wouldn't it be much cheaper just to change the mods on your main suit on the rare occasion that it needs something different.

And if you want charisma there are plenty of better ways of getting a temporary charisma boost than having a suit of power armour ready for it - a nice floral dress, for example.

Like, I got a second full suit in my playthrough, but the inferior one just sat in the corner like an abandoned suit of plate mail, gathering dust. After that I just pilfered parts when I found them.

Really? I went there early in the game to track down a copy of Covert Operations Manual and almost had my ass handed to me twice
    . Eventually though I made it into the bunker and took the power armor back to Red Rocket truckstop. A good bit later I went back and the entire area had respawned including a new set of Power Armor.

As far as I'm aware, cleared zones respawn after 3 days.

Zillah wrote: »
    Yes, but, assuming you are upgrading your suit to the higher defense variants it would be prohibitively expensive to keep them all up to date? Wouldn't it be much cheaper just to change the mods on your main suit on the rare occasion that it needs something different.

And if you want charisma there are plenty of better ways of getting a temporary charisma boost than having a suit of power armour ready for it - a nice floral dress, for example.

Like, I got a second full suit in my playthrough, but the inferior one just sat in the corner like an abandoned suit of plate mail, gathering dust. After that I just pilfered parts when I found them.

Exactly. I had a lovely modded set of T-45 power armor all done up with Minuteman paint and everything and then I got my X-01 armor. Initially I thought, well I can have one for everyday and one for Sundays and bank holidays but you really don't. There's no point in bothering with a second full suit other than for aesthetics. If you really want to swap the stealth field for the jet pack then just keep a modded chest piece in a locker nearby. But the full suits just remind me a little too much of the armour mannequins in Skyrim.

As far as I'm aware, cleared zones respawn after 3 days.

I'm not sure that all of them do. There are still some zones tagged as cleared even though it's been much longer than 3 days. I think their use in quest lines may have buggered up the respawn system. For example, I cleared Back Street Apparel as part of a settlement defence quest. Once I turned in the quest I got another one to go straight back there and it had already respawned. On another occasion I cleared out Revere Beach Station. I then got a settlement defence quest there and cleared it out again. It hasn't reset again since.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Didn't realise some areas respawned enemies. Do they come back at the same level they were when you first discovered it, or are they levelled up?

Kiith wrote: »
    Didn't realise some areas respawned enemies. Do they come back at the same level they were when you first discovered it, or are they levelled up?

A bit of both I think. Rotten Landfill tends to respawn fairly low level enemies (and some nice loot) all the time whereas National Guard Training Yard was noticeably more difficult second time round. According to some of the maps like this one the enemies seem to occur in level bands so there's probably a limit to exactly how difficult it's going to get on respawn:

fallout-4-enemy-resistance-map.jpg

Level scaling has always been a bit of a balancing act though. Nobody particularly liked the Oblivion approach of level scaled enemies and getting wiped out by cazadores trying to make my way to New Vegas for the first time was annoying but I'd rather either of those than this Witcher style approach.

• Advertisement

Wow and that blank numbered area in the middle probably has as many locations as the rest of the map :eek:

Even with all my wandering I still have only 1/3 of the locations the map does.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I went to National Guard Area which I had already cleared, just because you lot talked about it above.
    Got 2 sets of power armor.
    I told my mate......he then told me something better...

He said if you pickpocket a BOS and take his fusion core, he will jump out of his suit, and you can just take it :P :D
    (I have no pickpocketing skill to try this yet though)

SeantheMan wrote: »
    I went to National Guard Area which I had already cleared, just because you lot talked about it above.

He said if you pickpocket a BOS and take his fusion core, he will jump out of his suit, and you can just take it :P :D

Did that on a Power Armoured raider at the broadcasting tower worked a treat :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

A bit of both I think. Rotten Landfill tends to respawn fairly low level enemies (and some nice loot) all the time whereas National Guard Training Yard was noticeably more difficult second time round. According to some of the maps like this one the enemies seem to occur in level bands so there's probably a limit to exactly how difficult it's going to get on respawn:

And does the Cleared tag disappear from these areas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

SeantheMan wrote: »

I must be unlucky with the armour respawining so :(

Yep. Took me a while to catch on to that fact but once you do it's a nice way to cycle through a list of easy loot locations.

One tip though. Enemies and loot respawn including sets of power armor but fusion cores don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

No they stay as cleared but somehow enemies sneak back.

I was annoyed having to go back to Medtek for the 4th time to grab something from the crate I grabbed the previous 3 things from. yah know be handy if they were al there together the 1st time I was there.....

The 4th time a few Super Mutant Overlords rather than the lowly supermutant appeared.

I ran in jetpacked to the 3rd floor into the operating theatre grabbed the thing and straight back out.

Enemies are random too. What may have been raiders back at Level 10 could now be an army of gunners with nukes and missile launchers. I learned the hard way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭trixiebust

35 hours in and I've only made it to Diamond City now :D Every minute or two of my wandering brings me another quest / sidequest.

Still don't think I've even scratched the surface with this game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,843 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Not enough hours in the day. Finally found a hunting rifle and turned it into a savage sniper but missing the suppressor (can't find enough screws!!!) One shotting super mutants is dead handy but need a silencer soon. Glowing Sea is next for me but in gonna lash into side quests before that, have about 20 and they all sound interesting.

Advertisement