Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fallout 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Cormac... wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm aiming the gun and firing it so it hits the enemies with it's bullets, I managed to work that part out.

:pac: :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I'm just having to use (say for example) 150 bullets to kill enemies who then drop ~70 bullets (including whatever is looted from boxes etc), so I spend all my time changing weapons for whatever has ammo left.

I can only assume you must be wandering into areas way above your level. I'm playing on Hard (upgraded to Very Hard now) and I'm carrying around massive stacks of ammo. I am far from an obsessive looter/scavenger either.

Even if you're not built for stealth you should still manage to start most fights with one free sneak attack.

Also, are you modding your weapons to do higher damage? Are you getting damage boosting perks? Automatic weapons do less damage per bullet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Zillah wrote: »
    I can only assume you must be wandering into areas way above your level. I'm playing on Hard (upgraded to Very Hard now) and I'm carrying around massive stacks of ammo. I am far from an obsessive looter/scavenger either.

Even if you're not built for stealth you should still manage to start most fights with one free sneak attack.

Also, are you modding your weapons to do higher damage? Are you getting damage boosting perks? Automatic weapons do less damage per bullet.

The only Mod i have is whatever one came with the MinuteMen gun I got in the 1st hour or so

I have no way of telling what is "Above my Level" in this game aside from Trial and Failure.

"Lemme try go here..... oh no, wait.... 15 Mutants, f**k this!"

I was ok with Ghouls and Synths and Raiders.... but It's really pushing the Mutants everywhere I go.... and frankly, I cannot kill a Suicider before it gets up on top of me and I have 10 points of Agility.... yet those guys never run out of breath

• Registered Users Posts: 6,788 ✭✭✭Evade

TI cannot kill a Suicider before it gets up on top of me and I have 10 points of Agility.... yet those guys never run out of breath
    Shoot their bomb arm with VATS, it's a one hit kill with most guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

legshot - that'll slow 'em down - and then a headshot if you want a free mini-nuke or just explode the nuke by nailing whatever arm he's carrying it in

• Advertisement

Evade wrote: »
    Shoot their bomb arm with VATS, it's a one hit kill with most guns.

I tried that, even going so far as to use the "Push Square" to get a crucial hit shot but it didn't work.... maybe I was outside the effective range.... I even tried shooting his leg thinking it would stop him, but no, alas it did not.

Even tried sacrificing Paladin Dance by putting him between us, but the Suicider really had it in for me

I guess there's a bunch of stuff most players know that I haven't a clue about, like crafting stuff and good Perk-Tree perks and what items are used for what.... game feels like it could be a bit better explaining some stuff.

For Example, I have no idea what Settlements are for. Why should I care about keeping these people fed and watered?

It's a shame, cause I feel like I'm missing out on a lot of stuff now and I'm after playing it for quiet a while and finding it increasingly frustrating cause I quiet like the characters and atmosphere

For Example, I have no idea what Settlements are for. Why should I care about keeping these people fed and watered?
    There are no consequences for ignoring settlements and very few benefits for building them up, besides on frustrating trophy / achievement.

Any rifle should give you a decent chance to hit the suicider at medium range. The Minutemen musket is more like a shotgun than a rifle if that's what your trying to use at range.

• Cormac... wrote: »
    I tried that, even going so far as to use the "Push Square" to get a crucial hit shot but it didn't work.... maybe I was outside the effective range.... I even tried shooting his leg thinking it would stop him, but no, alas it did not.

Even tried sacrificing Paladin Dance by putting him between us, but the Suicider really had it in for me

I guess there's a bunch of stuff most players know that I haven't a clue about, like crafting stuff and good Perk-Tree perks and what items are used for what.... game feels like it could be a bit better explaining some stuff.

It's a shame, cause I feel like I'm missing out on a lot of stuff now and I'm after playing it for quiet a while and finding it increasingly frustrating cause I quiet like the characters and atmosphere

Use crouch which gives you additional accuracy in VATS

It sounds like you have also just plowed on with the main quest which is fine and all but if you are looking for explanations on the settlements without doing the relevant quests for the settlements it's going to be very hard for you to pick up on the mechanics.

Good start here;

http://ie.ign.com/wikis/fallout-4/Things_Fallout_Doesn't_Tell_You

http://www.polygon.com/2015/11/9/9700480/13-fallout-4-tips-for-everybody

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/nov/23/fallout-4-bethesda-survival-tips

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

I'm just spending all my Bottle Caps buying cheap ammo now at this rate.

Are you trading anything off against it? I found myself never using .38 ammo, so I started selling that to the traders. It's only valued a 1 at bullet, but when you've over 2000 it makes a nice little bartering position. I basically use it as currency now.

I generally only use Stimpaks, Med-X, Rad-X, Rad-away and Psycho (when I can find it) from the 'Aid' section of the Pip-Boy. You can trade Buffout, Mentats, Addictol (cheaper to get a doc to cure you of addictions than buy that stuff) to the traders for a hefty fee and they're in plentiful supply if you do a quick scan of the rooms you clear.

Pick up as many weapons as you can, especially the legendary ones. Sell them, make caps. I just recently started selling all the weapons I picked up and I've now about 6k in caps (couldn't break 2 at around level 17 like you are now).

Also, and I'm sure you know this, but if you get stuff to wear that boosts your Charisma, it helps. I wear black rimmed glasses, a militia hat and Reginald's suit every time I go near a trader - Charisma is at 11 then. Every little bit helps!

There's a couple of different perks for the different types of weapons. I'm trying to level up the Rifleman Perk, which is for non-automatic weapons. It's brought all my guns, but particularly my combat shotgun and .50 sniper up no end after levelling it up twice.

The following is a list of the SPECIAL traits you'll find the different perks under

Strength - Heavy Gunner - 20% more damage (40 next level, etc)
    Perception - Rifleman - non-automatic rifles 20% more
    Agility - Gunslinger - Non auto pistols 20% more damage
    Agility - Commando - Auto weapons do 40% more damage, improved accuracy.

• Advertisement

Cheers, will look into that.

I have very little interest in the Settlements. I prefer to play other games for that kind of thing.

What I've done so far is:
    Main quest up until the point we killed Kellogg, did the Brotherhood of Steel mission where I have had to kill a HUGE mutant on a little Island using a Helicopter, Can't even remember what the Minutemen wanted me to do next, I feel like there was a farm I should be clearing out but I can't even get near it without dying

Also I went with 10 points Intelligence and 10 points of Agility.... I realise now that may have been a bad idea, I only just started looking at the Perk Tree perks.... genuinely didn't know what was going on there initially :o

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Yeah I have Rifleman for 80% extra damage and Gun Slinger for 80% extra damage as well. That plus my fullly modified pipe pistol and 10mm silenced pistols and then my combat rifle, just wrecking house altogether. My combat shotgun is devastating as well but not sure if rifleman perk helps that or not. Well worth getting the gun nut perk up as the mods you can unlock really give your weapons a good boost.

Cool, I'll look more into those Perks.

I spent all my 1st 12 (or so) points just on the Base values for Intelligence, Charisma, Agility, Endurance etc

Then I had a facepalm moment where I realised I could just Click on the Action Boy perk and it was unlocked.....

I feel like an idiot

I have very little interest in the Settlements. I prefer to play other games for that kind of thing.

Also I went with 10 points Intelligence and 10 points of Agility.... I realise now that may have been a bad idea, I only just started looking at the Perk Tree perks.... genuinely didn't know what was going on there initially :o

Don't bother with the Settlements if you've no interest. I was the same, but I started on Sanctuary and the Castle after finding out about the concrete foundations and....well, no f*cker is getting in there now :pac:

A bit of a tip - there's a 'Special' book on the floor in your house in Sanctuary, the one with Shaun's crib in it. That'll boost one of your attributes straight away (I'd suggest strength to carry stuff). I can't believe I missed it, found it last night and I'm level 30 or something.

Just to note (sorry, don't know if you know this already), you'll only be able to rank up in perks to the level your Special is at. So, you'll be able to unlock all intelligence and agility but, if you've only 1 in strength then you'll only be able to unlock the first level there. Next few times you level up, beef up the SPECIAL stats you want the perks for and work from there.
    Zero-Cool wrote: »
    My combat shotgun is devastating as well but not sure if rifleman perk helps that or not. Well worth getting the gun nut perk up as the mods you can unlock really give your weapons a good boost.

Rifleman definitely added something to my combat shotgun - it was 104, now it's 140 or something like that.

Gun nut is an absolute must to level up.

Yeah I keep seeing info about picking up Magazines and Books etc to buff X, Y and Z... only found a handful of them despite looking around a lot.

• Cormac... wrote: »

What I've done so far is:
    Main quest up until the point we killed Kellogg, did the Brotherhood of Steel mission where I have had to kill a HUGE mutant on a little Island using a Helicopter, Can't even remember what the Minutemen wanted me to do next, I feel like there was a farm I should be clearing out but I can't even get near it without dying

Nerd rage, Nuclear Phycisist, Gun Nut & Scrapper are all really important perks so wouldn't be too concerned you pumped 10 points into intelligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Finding Legendaries very dull all of a sudden after the excitement of hunting them at the start, the reward is always some useless arm or leg armour or if its a weapon it'll be some rusty .45 revolver or a pipe weapon of some sort, wheres all the good stuff gone?

• Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Yeah I have Rifleman for 80% extra damage and Gun Slinger for 80% extra damage as well. That plus my fullly modified pipe pistol and 10mm silenced pistols and then my combat rifle, just wrecking house altogether. My combat shotgun is devastating as well but not sure if rifleman perk helps that or not. Well worth getting the gun nut perk up as the mods you can unlock really give your weapons a good boost.

Yes it does. Confirmed as applicable to shotguns.

• Thargor wrote: »
    Finding Legendaries very dull all of a sudden after the excitement of hunting them at the start, the reward is always some useless arm or leg armour or if its a weapon it'll be some rusty .45 revolver or a pipe weapon of some sort, wheres all the good stuff gone?

Same as, got a few really great weapons earlier on in the game now just ****ty armour all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Speaking of vaults. Looks like in Fallout 4 vault tech is pure asshole corporation. Not a single vault was actually to save people, all of tjem were to **** with people in one or another way for the research purposes. I found it a bit weird.
    It would be cool dlc content if they would make something to shine more light on company itself as there is very little on them. It's funny how all people in wasteland are completely ignorant to what they did to people in the vaults.
    Oh, I really missed enclave in fallout4. They were always mentioned in all fallout games. Must be another dlc content. I know I found some holotapes on onclave, but I was pretty sure they did not referenced at them with that name.

• Advertisement

• Speaking of vaults. Looks like in Fallout 4 vault tech is pure asshole corporation. Not a single vault was actually to save people, all of tjem were to **** with people in one or another way for the research purposes. I found it a bit weird.
    It would be cool dlc content if they would make something to shine more light on company itself as there is very little on them. It's funny how all people in wasteland are completely ignorant to what they did to people in the vaults.
    Oh, I really missed enclave in fallout4. They were always mentioned in all fallout games. Must be another dlc content. I know I found some holotapes on onclave, but I was pretty sure they did not referenced at them with that name.

On that note, I would liek to know how many vaults are available currently in Fallout 4?

Obviously 111 but I only found 2 more and I'm 60-70 hours in

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Vault-Tec were never a nice company.

The only Mod i have is whatever one came with the MinuteMen gun I got in the 1st hour or so

Go to a weapon's bench and make your guns better. Get some perks that make you make your guns even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    On that note, I would liek to know how many vaults are available currently in Fallout 4?

Obviously 111 but I only found 2 more and I'm 60-70 hours in

There's
    Vault 75 (accessible through Malden Middle School), 81, 95 and 114 (accessible through Park Street Station

oldrnwisr wrote: »
    There's
    Vault 75 (accessible through Malden Middle School), 81, 95 and 114 (accessible through Park Street Station
    Is it worth my while giving those fellows in Vault 81 my 3 Fusion Cores? I only have about 5 of them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

Is it worth my while giving those fellows in Vault 81 my 3 Fusion Cores? I only have about 5 of them

Absolutely.
    Firstly, you'll pickup more Fusion Cores in the generators of a lot of buildings. Also at higher levels some ammo boxes will drop 4 fusion cores. Secondly, Vault 81 is well worth getting access to. You get access to a new merchant, Alexis who sells an OP unique weapon. You can sell bags of fertilizer (if you want) to the research scientist for 25 caps each and there's a mission to a secret area which has some good loot and a bobblehead. Plus getting access will trigger another merchant outside the vault who also sells a unique weapon.

Woah-woah-woooah

BUY guns?

I'm not quite there yet ;_;

But yes, I'll go in there so, get me some Experience if nothing else

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

I remember at the beginning when I was paranoid about running out of fusion cores

Now I have 47 :eek:

I've even started using them as ammo for a unique Gatling "Laser" I picked up of a legendary drop. Does 50% extra damage vs humans. I did the MacCready mission last night and in the building you go to I opened a door to about 7 or 8 ghouls running down a hallway towards me and mowed them down with my big "Laser". Not one of them made it to me :cool:

Speaking of vaults. Looks like in Fallout 4 vault tech is pure asshole corporation. Not a single vault was actually to save people, all of tjem were to **** with people in one or another way for the research purposes. I found it a bit weird.
    I've only played 3, NV, and 4 but I always got the impression most vaults were designed to mess with people and very few were normal control vaults.

The DLC I want to see or what I thought should have been in the main game was BoS
    What happened to Edler Lyons, Sentinel Lyons, Star Paladin Cross etc? There's almost no mention of the named / important from 10 years ago, it's the same BoS chapter. Did they reconcile with the BoS Outcasts like the new paint scheme suggests?

• Advertisement

Evade wrote: »
    I've only played 3, NV, and 4 but I always got the impression most vaults were designed to mess with people and very few were normal control vaults.

Vault 81 was a perfect success!

*asks no questions, digs no deeper*

Advertisement