Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fallout 4

Options

Comments

They've got things like the atom bomb, so I think I'll stay where I... OM.

I'm not Joe, my name is Harry.

• Patch for both consoles has been released.

Apparently going from reddit etc some notable performance improvements across the board especially in the heavy areas in downtown Boston and during combat

For PS4 owners

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

khamilto wrote: »
    Aaaaand I'm not sure how an
    underground vault
    built by scientists being clean and 'modern' is shocking. If vaults hadn't been designed to fail, that's exactly how they would look.

What an odd thing to say. I'm saying it was surprising to finally see something new and shiny in a world built entirely on ruins and salvage. Even a relatively successful vault like
    still looked a bit dirty and old - they were still relying on the work of long-gone generations. It was fascinating to finally see someone capable of creating something new.

Why you think "that is a plausible eventuality" is some sort of criticism or counter to that I don't know. If I said that the Deathclaw in the
    Museum of Witchcraft
    was a fun surprise would you dismiss it by say that monsters prowling around is exactly what would happen? Do things have to be nonsensical before they're surprising?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭khamilto

Zillah wrote: »
    What an odd thing to say. I'm saying it was surprising to finally see something new and shiny in a world built entirely on ruins and salvage. Even a relatively successful vault like
    still looked a bit dirty and old - they were still relying on the work of long-gone generations. It was fascinating to finally see someone capable of creating something new.

Why you think "that is a plausible eventuality" is some sort of criticism or counter to that I don't know. If I said that the Deathclaw in the
    Museum of Witchcraft
    was a fun surprise would you dismiss it by say that monsters prowling around is exactly what would happen? Do things have to be nonsensical before they're surprising?
    The mac-store appearance of the
    institute
    , where they actually have new, shiny things - where stuff is clean and not all run-down and decaying was down right shocking for a world built on the graveyard of civilisation.

Your reply to my reply, didn't really have allll that much in common with what you originally said :)

When talking about 'the factions being really well done' you used the shocking nature of
    the institute's
    visual aesthetic as an example. Something being clean and 'new' isn't particularly shocking. The
    institute
    is essentially a childish copy of the enclave devoid of any depth or nuance. The BoS were developing new technology between FO1/FO2. Some Vaults themselves were designed to be entirely self sufficient in perpetuity (
    Until Bethesda came along, vaults were originally designed as research experiments testing various scenarios for long term space flight
    )

So, while the visual aesthetic might have come as a shock to you after the wasteland, rivet city etc - to claim that it makes them a good faction seems a little bit silly!

khamilto wrote: »
    Something being clean and 'new' isn't particularly shocking.

It is in the world of Fallout that I've seen! I didn't play New Vegas, and I was far from exhaustive in FO3, so maybe I didn't see enough of the world for comparison, but even the best of technology that I saw all seemed to be cobbled together, salvaged, patched, restored, etc. The first example of genuine, new, clean manufacturing that I saw was, eh, those guys.

I don't think it makes for a good faction, obviously it's just one small aspect, but it was a factor that stuck in my mind a great deal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭khamilto

It is in the world of Fallout that I've seen! I didn't play New Vegas, and I was far from exhaustive in FO3, so maybe I didn't see enough of the world for comparison, but even the best of technology that I saw all seemed to be cobbled together, salvaged, patched, restored, etc. The first example of genuine, new, clean manufacturing that I saw was, eh, those guys.

I don't think it makes for a good faction, obviously it's just one small aspect, but it was a factor that stuck in my mind a great deal.

Visual aesthetic is something Bethesda truly excel at. Even bland as hell Oblivion was stunning at times, and I could talk for days about Morrowind.

It's a shame that (as my housemate remarked earlier), the worldbuilding in FO4 is a step back from Skyrim. He's 10 hours in and already getting the radiant AI style fetch quests.

You can get those in the first hour if you focus on Preston. Terrible design decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Does it matter which faction i choose to build that yoke? Don't want to close off any factions yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Does it matter which faction i choose to build that yoke? Don't want to close off any factions yet.

I got a bit of stick of the BOS but it wont lock off factions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

They've got things like the atom bomb, so I think I'll stay where I... OM.

I hate that song, and that lyric drives me mad...but it's not even the worst in the song.

They hurry like savages to get aboard an iron train
    (The Tring-galim-bohoo-laham-bah-le Express)

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

actually a lot of the songs are starting to grind on me.......like the 'it's a man' song.

Wanderer is still a classic though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

SeantheMan wrote: »
    I hate that song, and that lyric drives me mad...but it's not even the worst in the song.

They hurry like savages to get aboard an iron train
    (The Tring-galim-bohoo-laham-bah-le Express)

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

actually a lot of the songs are starting to grind on me.......like the 'it's a man' song.

Grandma plays the numbers will never get old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

"Thanks for helping out our guys back there with that super important main quest, you'll be a great asset to our group. John over there could use some help."

"Hi, I'm John, bet you never met a synth before despite your companion there being one. Could you go do this stuff?"

*comes back after doing stuff*

"Oh thats great, thanks for that. Oh and btw, turns out that was a radiant quest, here's another!"

damn you!! I dont want to spend hours doing radiant quests but I dont know if their radiant quests will allow me to continue the story like the minutemen at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Intead of landing on Plymouth Rock,
    Plymouth Rock would land on theeeemmmm ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

They seem to have patched the bottle cap glitch

... and this is why I mostly listen to the Classical radio channel now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

So bongo, bongo, bongo I don't want to leave the Congo, oh-no-no-no-no-no
    Bingle, bangle, bungle I'm so happy in the jungle, I refuse to go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Uriel. wrote: »

Crawl out to the Fallout!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

Located the USS Constitution last night and started the quest. It's not great, but
    it didn't take me long to decide to blow that bitch and her buddies away to get that chip from the drawer for Ironsides.
    I presume that's what most people did? Have some basic manners and you won't be shot in the mush!! :pac:

Uriel. wrote: »

I adore this song.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Repelling an attack on
    the USS Constitution
    last night before the mission starts and there were 2 legendary Scavengers down there with Fat Mans, or else one picked up the dead ones Fat Man because I could only find one afterwards, nukes going off everywhere.
    Captain Ironsides is hilarious :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I adore this song.

It's on Spotify. I listen to it in work now.

Thargor wrote: »
    Repelling an attack on
    the USS Constitution
    last night before the mission starts and there were 2 legendary Scavengers down there with Fat Mans, or else one picked up the dead ones Fat Man because I could only find one afterwards, nukes going off everywhere.
    Captain Ironsides is hilarious :D

I didn't get any nukes on that one! I did get some legendaries which were annoying to kill at that range though. What drove me nuts there was that would have been a perfect time to use the artillery, but because your - shall we say, crewmates? - charge off into melee with the attackers you can't, otherwise you hurt them and they instantly turn on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

No according to the Fallout wiki if you so much as ding any of the crew or gun turrets with your guns everyone will turn on you but you can fire the artillery all you like and it wont hurt the crew, only enemies.

How did you fire the artillery anyway? I was looking everywhere all over the cannons but there were no options anywhere, still got the optional bonus for doing it though...

• USS Constitution mission complted last night

Dat ending :p

Thargor wrote: »
    No according to the Fallout wiki if you so much as ding any of the crew or gun turrets with your guns everyone will turn on you but you can fire the artillery all you like and it wont hurt the crew, only enemies.

How did you fire the artillery anyway? I was looking everywhere all over the cannons but there were no options anywhere, still got the optional bonus for doing it though...

Not the ship broadsides, I mean my Minutemen artillery. You can fire the broadsides by flicking the power switch right beside the captain.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

SeantheMan wrote: »

Mod on nexus that adds another 70-80 tunes. The added variety is surprising when you see how less the music repeats.
    Also glad they managed to get the follow up to 60 minute man in there [Can't do sixty no more]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Shougeki wrote: »
    Mod on nexus that adds another 70-80 tunes. The added variety is surprising when you see how less the music repeats.
    Also glad they managed to get the follow up to 60 minute man in there [Can't do sixty no more]

That is needed, there are not enough tracks for a game this long. I haven't seen the workshop on steam yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Anyone notice settlements not detecting people and resources when you are gone a while? I had two people in sanctuary on my pipboy but when I went back all 20 were there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Potatoeman wrote: »
    Anyone notice settlements not detecting people and resources when you are gone a while? I had two people in sanctuary on my pipboy but when I went back all 20 were there.

Yeah happens to me all the time. Everything about settlements seems buggy as fuck. Shame. It could almost have been a cool addition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

I've still yet to have any of my settlements attacked.
    Level 20, and i've done a bunch of settlement quests.

Advertisement