Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fallout 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

Do many random events like that happen?

That isn't a random event I don't think. It's scripted into the PC going onto the second floor of that building. If you weren't allied with the institute it would be a much more significant happening.

At the moment I'm allied with the whole gang. Makes the game pretty lame considering the only high level enemies at the moment are Super Mutants and deathclaws. Just wandering around the wasteland watching rows going on occasionally but generally getting left alone myself. Bit like walking through Dublin 8.

allibastor wrote: »
    I am 49 hours in, I have done one quest with Paladin space marine, loads for Minute men, whichare the settlement ones. None for anyone else.

No sign of Diamond city yet or anything.

567.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Yillan wrote: »
    That isn't a random event I don't think. It's scripted into the PC going onto the second floor of that building. If you weren't allied with the institute it would be a much more significant happening.

At the moment I'm allied with the whole gang. Makes the game pretty lame considering the only high level enemies at the moment are Super Mutants and deathclaws. Just wandering around the wasteland watching rows going on occasionally but generally getting left alone myself. Bit like walking through Dublin 8.

Oh ok...are there any random non scripted events people have encounted?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Oh ok...are there any random non scripted events people have encounted?

Oh yeah. Hundreds of them! Can't go five minutes without a Brotherhood Vertibird valiantly swan-diving into the nearest hard surface.

The Children of Atom guys are tough as balls. Came across some near.. Hugo's Hole (I think?!) and they were so hard to kill. Damn those gamma guns! Actually regarding Hugo's place
    it was actually a really nice touch how once you went near where he was, you'd hear a gunshot. Then once you pass by the radioactive barrels and turret, you actually find where he shot himself. For me, the body was missing, but you could find it there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The Children of Atom guys are tough as balls. Came across some near.. Hugo's Hole (I think?!) and they were so hard to kill. Damn those gamma guns! Actually regarding Hugo's place
    it was actually a really nice touch how once you went near where he was, you'd hear a gunshot. Then once you pass by the radioactive barrels and turret, you actually find where he shot himself. For me, the body was missing, but you could find it there
    I hope you went down into that quarry and didnt think Hogos Hole was all that was there!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

https://twitter.com/4playgamers/status/679453877649956864

Nailed it.

That hospital with the surgeon room was what did it for me, it made the game annoy me. I had found it wandering, cleared it off super mutants (found room key and stuff). Was sent back for tech by BOS, cleared it off super mutants. Was fcuking sent back by BOS to retrieve some ****(teleporter) that was prolly already there the 1st 2 times. I would have taken it.

Killed 2 outside ran in, flew up the top floor with my jet pack....ran into the room grabbed the thing....didnt even bother with the mutant and dog in there, ran back out boosted down.....outside and "fcuk this **** "

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I think loot grinding as an RPG mechanic is a blessing and a curse.

On the one hand, it represents compelling gameplay and Fallout is quite good at it.
    There's plenty of variety in the weapons, they're physically quite good looking - pipe rifles have the perfect rough and ready look, all the way to the slapped together things like the cryolater, the big rocket powered hammer whose name escapes me, and the mod system is extensive, the mods are trickled through quite well, and they make substantial changes to how your guns handle.
    The normal armour's not as interesting, but then you have the power armour as well, and that has jetpacks and everything.

The issue is that I think it papers over the cracks in a lot of games.

So long as I'm happy to keep pulling on the lever of the 1-armed bandit; keep wandering around, shooting stuff, improving my loot, just for the sake of it, I'll find the game enjoyable enough. There's even been a few genuine highlights, like blowing up Swan with every single mine I had in my inventory and getting that Power Fist off him earlier than one might think is possible.

From many other elements of the game - the plot, the voice acting, the graphics, the writing, and the general coherency of the world as a whole, it seems like they got lazy and were happy to launch the game knowing how much like crack it was going to be regardless of the level of polish they applied to it.

But if they made their money, I enjoyed the game, I feel like I got value for money, does that actually matter?
    Even if it is a glorified version of cookie clicker and I find it utterly farcical that someone might even mention it in the same sentence as GOTY, I don't have any buyer's remorse and I'm happy not only to have bought it, pretty much at full price, but to keep slogging away at it.

I don't think it's a quality product, but neither is Domino's pizza, and I'm usually happy to shovel that into my face hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

The Children of Atom guys are tough as balls. Came across some near.. Hugo's Hole (I think!)

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Cleared it last night. Seriously....why were so many people trying to spoil the story? It was an awful ending.
    I was so disconnected from all the factions. I finished with Institute ending and had a nice heart to heart with papa before he drifted off but I didn't feel shyte for him, mostly because he had me go and MURDER a ton of people who were actually nice to me (Railroad). The factions relied way too much on making you murder a load of people to move the story on. I didn't mind the BOS because.....BOS.

I reloaded a save then and did the Railroad missions. Was nice to take down the blimp in a different fashion. About to do the Nuclear Option next and will go back and do the BOS stuff. I'll be glad to get back to my main save with Papa, BOS and Railroad all dead. I just hope the DLC can offer an interesting bit of story

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

I havent gotten far enough with the factions yet, obviously have done the Minutemen, but I think I'll end up with the Institute.

I'm trying to do as little as possible with the Railroad though, want to get the
    ballistic weave
    first

Haven't done anything for the BOS, least likeable crowd in the game, I'd prefer to work with the gunners....

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

BizzyC wrote: »
    I'm trying to do as little as possible with the Railroad though, want to get the
    ballistic weave
    first

Requires 3 or 4 radiant missions i think

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Cleared it last night. Seriously....why were so many people trying to spoil the story? It was an awful ending.
    I was so disconnected from all the factions. I finished with Institute ending and had a nice heart to heart with papa before he drifted off but I didn't feel shyte for him, mostly because he had me go and MURDER a ton of people who were actually nice to me (Railroad). The factions relied way too much on making you murder a load of people to move the story on. I didn't mind the BOS because.....BOS.

I reloaded a save then and did the Railroad missions. Was nice to take down the blimp in a different fashion. About to do the Nuclear Option next and will go back and do the BOS stuff. I'll be glad to get back to my main save with Papa, BOS and Railroad all dead. I just hope the DLC can offer an interesting bit of story

It didn't bother me that
    father/Shaun
    had me kill a tonne of people, because I had been doing it the whole entire game, but when
    he died
    there was no emotional reaction at all, because there was no interest there, no connection whatsoever. The voice actor worked hard to make it seem like there was, but the gameplay, the story, or even the game completely conveyed something else entirely. A very neutral feeling. It made the eventual
    Shaun's death
    scene feel very.. lukewarm.

The way it should have played out is that there should have been some heft, like when (Last of Us spoiler, don't read if you haven't played that)
    Ellie was taken away and was being operated on at the end. The character wanted to get there, but the player genuinely felt like they wanted to too, at least I did, because you felt an emotional connection with Ellie
    . This is what FO4 should have done, but instead we got an -- "Oh, well OK then". I mean
    you spent the whole time looking for your son!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Yupp, in The Last of Us, I wanted to get in the and
    kill everyone til it was just me and Ellie
    but after
    Father dies
    in Fallout, I just went straight around the room looking for alluminium :o

Yupp, in The Last of Us, I wanted to get in the and
    kill everyone til it was just me and Ellie
    but after
    Father dies
    in Fallout, I just went straight around the room looking for alluminium :o

I don't want to drag too far off topic, but TLOU also introduced an interesting dynamic there and might go somewhat to explain a bit of Fallout 4 too -

In TLOU
    I personally didn't want to kill the surgeons, because I could see where they were coming from, but you could also see it from the view of Joel too - he would do anything to get back Ellie
    . In FO4,
    when you kill Kellog, some have said that you should have been given the option to spare him, but you can somewhat understand it too - you watched this guy needlessly murder your wife/husband in front of your eyes, so of course you'd want to seek revenge
    . However, it would have been nice to have been given the option to decide, based on the fact that it was an open-world games, where decisions mattered, whereas TLOU wasn't.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

:eek:

LOL :v :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

So bongo, bongo, bongo I don't want to leave the Congo
    Oh no no no no no
    Bingle, bangle, bungle I'm so happy in the jungle I refuse to go
    Don't want no bright lights, false teeth, doorbells, landlords
    I make it clear

So bongo, bongo, bongo I don't want to leave the Congo
    Oh no no no no no
    Bingle, bangle, bungle I'm so happy in the jungle I refuse to go
    Don't want no bright lights, false teeth, doorbells, landlords
    I make it clear

Truer words were never spoken :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,966 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    I'm going to see if it is possible to smash toilets with a sledgehammer while on psycho later.

I tried hard to smash the jacks up and it didn't work. I even tried to blow them up with a grenade and that didn't work either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

'Father' was a cúnt though. The Institute were looking out for themselves and living happily underground. They didnt care about the ordinary human people suffering on the surface, subject to wild animals and raiders while they toiled away growing shíte plants and screwing around with horse figurines.

The Institute even murdered regular joes and replaced them with robots to further their plans. Thats ****ed up.

I turned on them in my mind fairly snappy but gave them a chance as my goddamn son was their head. I fùcked them over on that mission at that spire and when I met Shaun on top of MIT he was acting a right prick. I used the dialogu options to try tell him he was a bad little boy and listen to his father and he basically told me he didnt really care about me, had left me stew in cryo and letting me out was just 'interesting to observe' (he was surprised I 'managed to meet him). When I didnt agrer with all of it he said to do one. What a prìck.

The BOS are prìcks too but their philosophy was pretty simple: dont let robots replace/ replicate humans and kill creatures that have gone toxic. They ultimately want technology to protect society, not become some isolationost prìck group. They also have goodwill from Fallout 3.

• Advertisement

Did they ever explain why they were replacing them with synths?

Did they ever explain why they were replacing them with synths?

Reasons

At level 39 with great surprise and innocence, I asked a man what a mirelurk was. Having killed maybe a hundred of them at that point including a queen. So that was annoying. I guess I hadn't asked about Mirelurks before, but I had talked about them when clearing out the castle. It does seem like an oversight that I could still ask that question at that stage with such naivete. If I haven't been curious as to what they are up to that point, I'm either not a very curious character, or I'm just taking their existence as just another mutated species in the wasteland.

It seems to be that they have four options for speech with each character and they are not influenced by what you've actually done in the game. Which is lazy. It's a very lazy game. Maybe not lazy in the graphics and combat, but positively comatose in terms of thought and imagination.

Yillan wrote: »
    Reasons

And that's one of the biggest things that bothered me about it and shows the poor implementation - all throughout the game, we're told how the Institute are bad, because they're abducting people and replacing them with synths. We hear it on the news, we see people being killed in Diamond City and Goodneighbour, random encounters throughout the map, and, at one point, meet two people that look the exact same, where one is a synth and you have to decide which is which and yet not once does it explain why it is actually happening - I mean, maybe it does it in a side-quest that I just haven't done yet, but you'd think it'd be a main story quest at least, or even pop up somewhere.

Gameseek, who messed up a lot of our preorders for Fallout 4 have just sent me (and presumably others here) this email:
    Thankyou for purchasing this item from us in the past.

In an ongoing effort to improve our customer service, we would greatly appreciate your evaluation of the service you received. Please click on the following link to leave your comments:
    http://www.trustpilot.co.uk/evaluate/www.gameseek.co.uk

We have noticed only a tiny amount of people leave feedback on these important sites and some of them leave unhappy reviews so i was hoping if you have had a positive experience with us could you address the balance?

Many thanks, it would be so appreciated.

God, they must be desperate. I'm the worst person to ask, because I left them horrendous advice on trustpilot. Also it wasn't the first time they messed up with me. So they can bugger right off.

And that's one of the biggest things that bothered me about it and shows the poor implementation - all throughout the game, we're told how the Institute are bad, because they're abducting people and replacing them with synths. We hear it on the news, we see people being killed in Diamond City and Goodneighbour, random encounters throughout the map, and, at one point, meet two people that look the exact same, where one is a synth and you have to decide which is which and yet not once does it explain why it is actually happening - I mean, maybe it does it in a side-quest that I just haven't done yet, but you'd think it'd be a main story quest at least, or even pop up somewhere.

It should be a conversation with Father. Any time you talk shop with him, despite the fact you're leading the Institute, he won't engage and just tells you that he's the boss and this is the way it is. And once the conversation is over, it's over and you can't go back and ask the other questions - probably because they have basically the same response. It's not how video games are supposed to go. The motivations behind the actions of the different characters should reveal itself as you go further through the story. There was one reveal and it was a pretty obvious one really.
    'He might be a little older than you're expecting'... Right, so he's an old man. I never thought that I was woken up properly soon after he was taken. It just wasn't ever really a consideration. Yet my character was sure that he was looking for a baby or a child. And even when he wasn't, he was still eventually incredulous that Shaun was an old man.

It seems that they did so much back slapping on the stuff that they thought they did right, that they thought it would make up for the paper thin quality of the rest of the game's immersion.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

Currently €50 new in Gamestop

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

€38 on thegamecollection

PSN is down, but I believe that it's slightly cheaper in their January sale on PS4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

I checked the psn online, says it's still €69 unfortunately. :(

Currently €45 in Argos though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

It's cheap on Cdkeys for a steam key. 32 euros.

http://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/fallout-4-pc-cd-key-steam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

this is my first fallout game and im struggling to get into it TBH

i dont know whats a story mission and whats side filler missions in the pipboy list.

it started off alright then when your in the world after you escape the underground lab its kinda boring it feels like nothings happening at all

Advertisement