Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fallout 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Ive really gone off this tbh, got to the end game and am just ploughing through the final Institute missions to see what happens, I really dont like the choices you're offered and wont be bothering reloading to do the others, Ill just read about them online when Im bored at work some day.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Any tips on which faction to go with? I thought it would be like skyrim and I could do all the quests for all the factions. Will it alert me if something I'm about to do is going to get me blacklisted with one of the factions?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭Evade

Toots wrote: »
    Any tips on which faction to go with? I thought it would be like skyrim and I could do all the quests for all the factions. Will it alert me if something I'm about to do is going to get me blacklisted with one of the factions?
    You'll get a warning when you're about to accept a quest that will turn one of the factions against you.

Siding against the BoS and the Institute at the same time can make getting around more difficult because of the amount of Knights and Synths knocking around.

Yeah you get a popup saying "This Action will make you an enemy of X Faction" and you can choose not to proceed so just do each questline until you come to that. They also blur the line with optional sidequests to inform other factions of your actions before you do them, not sure what effects that has...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

x43r0 wrote: »
    Has anyone tried using the Blitz perk yet?

I've got it on and I'm using Kremv's Tooth for sneak melees - It's so overpowered. The perk teleports you across the room for the instakill

Wish I had thought of this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Note to people to check their companions for loot, was going to swap some of their equipment out and they'd found a legendary/special/whatever weapon at some point and had it in their inventory. Thought it was only ammo they'd pick up themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Varik wrote: »
    Note to people to check their companions for loot, was going to swap some of their equipment out and they'd found a legendary/special/whatever weapon at some point and had it in their inventory. Thought it was only ammo they'd pick up themselves.

I had a few missing parts from my T-60F power armor, namely my Head and jet pack torso.

The suit was just sitting in my settlement having been moved from my armor crafting house and was missing these parts.

I found them on one of my traders in his trade option.

No idea how they moved the suit or how they took the parts off!!

I did notice before during a raider attack one got in my fully modded X-01 suit even though the core was removed. Ended up killing him but they having to get a new frame for my suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

A Few questions:

How do you know if you've done all the Sidequests? Is there some sort of look up?

I've been trying to give myself some goals to do (find all the companions, get the 20 bobbleheads) but honestly, I ain't gonna be putting 300 hours into this game, I'd like t just do the missions, I'm lvl39 now and can kind of see myself finishing up with it around 50-60 or so.

I'm after getting as far as doing about 3 institute missions and as far as I can tell I've done everything there is to do for the Railroad/BoS/Minutemen. All the missions they give me now just have the same token "Pip-Boy Clicking His Fingers At you thing" which I assume means "These missions will infinitely repeat".

Also, Is it worth while giving your Partner a better gun than their default one? Like if I give Preston and Minigun and take his rifle, will he use the minigun? If so, Do I have to give them ammo or what?

I'm enjoying playing it, but honestly CNBF going visiting every place and reading everything on the slim chance it will go "Started X Quests" - See the Pickman Galllery quest for example.

Yeah yeah yeah, I know I'm playing the game wrong and I should juts mince about for 100 hours but cess-la-vie :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Cormac... wrote: »
    A Few questions:

How do you know if you've done all the Sidequests? Is there some sort of look up?

I've been trying to give myself some goals to do (find all the companions, get the 20 bobbleheads) but honestly, I ain't gonna be putting 300 hours into this game, I'd like t just do the missions, I'm lvl39 now and can kind of see myself finishing up with it around 50-60 or so.

Cormac, I found this map:
    http://fallout4map.com

I haven't seen anything like the destiny calcified tracker or ghost tracker where it takes your gamer tag and shows you a list of items you can collect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

Yeah yeah yeah, I know I'm playing the game wrong and I should juts mince about for 100 hours but cess-la-vie :pac:

There's no right or wrong way to play this game.

Unless you side with the Minutemen. For that you should be flogged, hung, drawn, quartered and fed to starving, rabid dogs.

• Advertisement

Cormac, I found this map:
    http://fallout4map.com

I haven't seen anything like the destiny calcified tracker or ghost tracker where it takes your gamer tag and shows you a list of items you can collect.

That'll do chimp.

Might just google some of the Side Quests..... kind of annoyed at how BAD the interface is in this game for finding out what I have or have not done.... and the fact I cannot truly compare items side by side :/

Like I did some googling and there's all these "Best 10 side quests" and stuff but I'd never have found them on my own.

How do you "Proceed" with Faction Quests..... Like before I went to the Institute the BoS gave me pretty much no missions other than repeating stuff once I got to the airship. And the Railroad gave me literally 2 missions before shutting up

Like how do I get them to give me PROPER missions, like say for BoS, I have no Jet Pack.... just a load of rubbish to do for Proctor this and that that infinitely repeats... it seems like I need to do something to proceed.... but I have no prompts...

Here's a great list of Fallout 4 tips, in case poeple here haven't seen it:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/fo4/comments/3shl9i/fallout_4_tips_everyone_should_know/

I would probably not still be playing this game if I hadn't found an Explosive Shotgun and then went with Tier 4 of the Rifle Perk :O

Finished this the other day. Thoroughly enjoyed it overall, though there are a lot of things they could improve on, the main ones for me being:

1. No factions are likeable. I felt nothing for any of them.
    2. The settlements thing was tacked on garbage. Would have been fine if you could build what you wanted, but the limit in size was too restrictive - especially around the castle.
    3. Too much Power Armour. Am I mistaken or in Fallout 3 were you delighted to have just the one set? (outcast armour was the business :P ) I was finding loads of it early on, stopped collecting it after my 8/9th set and never even bothered wearing the X01 stuff.

In then end I sided with
    The Brotherhood. The main reason for this was that the institute killed my wife in the first place and robbed the young fella. The fact he now controlled them wasn't enough. They also kidnapped, murdered and replaced real humans. The BoS were dickheads, but they were human. The Minutemen were useless tools who couldn't do anything themselves.
    How do you "Proceed" with Faction Quests..... Like before I went to the Institute the BoS gave me pretty much no missions other than repeating stuff once I got to the airship. And the Railroad gave me literally 2 missions before shutting up

What was the last quest you did with any of them in relation to the main quest and I'll tell you what I did next?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

I found a chart with the main, side, radiant, unmarked quests. Will put it up this evening when I'm home.

Once you start institutionalised you should be able to continue all the factions until you have to make a choice or they tell you to keep helping someone.

Railroad has some quests that look to be radiant but there is a finite number of them.

Finished this the other day. Thoroughly enjoyed it overall, though there are a lot of things they could improve on, the main ones for me being:

1. No factions are likeable. I felt nothing for any of them.
    2. The settlements thing was tacked on garbage. Would have been fine if you could build what you wanted, but the limit in size was too restrictive - especially around the castle.
    3. Too much Power Armour. Am I mistaken or in Fallout 3 were you delighted to have just the one set? (outcast armour was the business :P ) I was finding loads of it early on, stopped collecting it after my 8/9th set and never even bothered wearing the X01 stuff.

In then end I sided with
    The Brotherhood. The main reason for this was that the institute killed my wife in the first place and robbed the young fella. The fact he now controlled them wasn't enough. They also kidnapped, murdered and replaced real humans. The BoS were dickheads, but they were human. The Minutemen were useless tools who couldn't do anything themselves.

What was the last quest you did with any of them in relation to the main quest and I'll tell you what I did next?

I guess I'll have to check when I get home, I did kill the lvl 50 Mirelurk Queen (I was like lvl 24 WTF!!!!) in the castle for the Minutemen and set up and Artillery thingy.

For BoS, I did that "Lost Patrol" one and they gave me Vertabird Calling Flares...

The Railroad, I basically turned up at the door, did one mission for them and they were like "Yeah, we're cool!"

And just to add to your feedback on the above (having Also played Fallout 3 but not New Vegas)..... *deep breath*

The Pip boy is f**king s**t and it's a s**t interface with a s**t way of navigating it's s**t info which is just s**t.

The reek of self indulgent fanboyism on including it in it's current state is disgusting.

It is sooooooo f**king awful, I hate it. WHAT DO YOU MEAN I CAN'T COMPARE 2 F**KING BITS OF ARMOUR!!!! GAHHHHHHAARRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!

I find myself trying to fight with the bloody thing to get it to show me 60% of what I need. I don't care if it's "Immersive"... It is BADLY laid out. They could have kept the art style etc, but laid it out MILES better!!!!

I'm playing this on PS4 but you just know someone will do a mod for PC to make seeing what you need to know a LOT easier. It kills me that this is one of my biggest issues still (I had a lot of issues with Fallout 3 and early in this game with Ammo etc but I bucked up and stuck my neck out and plowed on through to when it started being a fair challenge and more fun and now I'm enjoying it a lot)

Also.... Dear Bethesda.... please stop trying to be clever with this f**king "Skull Enemy Next To Enemy" Stuff..... I basically watched Preston Garvey distract a Level 50 Mirelurk Queen while I lobbed about 40 grenades at it from Afar cause the Mirelurk thankfully couldn't figure out how to get over to me on the wall.... I was level 24.... Would it have killed you to give me a "Recommended for Lvl 35+ players" or something

Sorry for the vitriol and language.... but it's so disappointing that the stuff they kept in to to keep the "Purists" happy is making an RPG game hard to navigate for the player who CNBF committing 100+ hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,966 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

And I can't even be arsed planting crops.

Ah the crops. I planted a variety of different crops for the settlements. Took me ages to realize that you needed to assign someone to manage the crops. D'oh!

The Lost Patrol one is a sidequest, is it not? You've to follow Danse
    to Arcjet, then do a couple of tasks for him and the two other members of the BoS at Cambridge (Semper something I think it's called?). After that you should be able to reach the Prydwen, which is where you meet Maxson, Kells and all those lads. I think there's a point where Maxson says to you that you've to go off and look around for the Institute and report back when you have something - so I went off and did that and eventually went back when I had the Virgil quest done (deliberately being vague here as I'm not sure how far you are down that path).

As far as the pip-boy goes, could you not just scroll down to one piece of armour, check its stats and then compare to the piece you're wearing. If it's better, lash it on. If it's not, sell it or drop it. It's not perfect, but I think you might've let your emotions get the better of you there :pac:

Yeah, ok, that's all good, got the Vigil thingy done but I gave the Minutemen my insider info on the Institute.... So essentially I should just back and smchmooze the BoS leader so? Can do!

Well I can work it alright, but it's just sooooo...... 2010

I know it's not the end of the world but it's so amateur. I mean this is an RPG after all, comparing gear is important. I think they have their heads up their butt with regard to keeping the Pipboy back in Fallout 3 levels of intuitiveness

• Advertisement

That's as I remember it anyway, Cormac. You definitely get more missions from Maxson, Kells, Ingram, even your man Teagan in the store I think.

Edit: I didn't give the Minutemen any info on the Institute. I reckon you'd probably be sent to Sturges, who's mostly seen banging a hammer off a wall for a half an hour at a time! I just thought it was natural to bring the tech info to BoS since they're all about that stuff.

That's as I remember it anyway, Cormac. You definitely get more missions from Maxson, Kells, Ingram, even your man Teagan in the store I think.

Good point, I was doing a lot of "Finding Bobbleheads" when I got out of the institute cause I felt like the final reckoning was coming and wanted to have a bit of a laugh after having a pretty painful Pre-Level-20 experience. I should have gone and spoke to more of the people around I guess.

One thing I do like is how you can walk past 2 people and hear them talk about some place Like "The Covenant" and all of a sudden you get a mission. That I like..... I just wish these people were lit up like quest givers... further ruining the elitists immersion

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

img_0357.jpg

The reek of self indulgent fanboyism on including it in it's current state is disgusting.

It is sooooooo f**king awful, I hate it. WHAT DO YOU MEAN I CAN'T COMPARE 2 F**KING BITS OF ARMOUR!!!! GAHHHHHHAARRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!

It's nothing to do with self indulgent fanboyism. It's consolitis. The entire thing was made to be navigated by a pad, which is why it's such a clunky, idiotic piece of time-consuming irritation-exemplified.

Did not like the end at all for the reasons mentioned, nobody was likable. High-point of the game for me was just searching the Wasteland with Valentine back at the start, that should have been the basis of the game, more linear like New Vegas with a proper investigation plot not the rushed mess of an ending.

Zillah wrote: »
    It's nothing to do with self indulgent fanboyism. It's consolitis. The entire thing was made to be navigated by a pad, which is why it's such a clunky, idiotic piece of time-consuming irritation-exemplified.

But Borderlands and Destiny both did it very well on console in terms of navigating their UI's with either a "Snap-To" mechanic (BL2) or a Mouse-Style freely-flowing cursor (Destiny). But I guess you could argue they have less "Stuff" going on (like Junk, Radio, Addiction Status etc etc etc)

It's a minor annoyance but everytime I'm just rolling my eyes when I need to use it for more than 5 seconds.

Kind of wish I'd gotten this on PC, with Mods and stuff it would have been a more rewarding experience, I can see that now.... same with Skyrim

One thing I do like is how you can walk past 2 people and hear them talk about some place Like "The Covenant" and all of a sudden you get a mission. That I like..... I just wish these people were lit up like quest givers... further ruining the elitists immersion

Yeah, it'd be better in some instances, but if you find or have found Billy Peabody then you'll appreciate the lack of 'lighting up' quest areas or givers (miniscule and all as that quest is). I like it the way it is - randomly coming across something giving you a quest. Encourages you to explore EVERYTHING! :)

Yeah, it'd be better in some instances, but if you find or have found Billy Peabody then you'll appreciate the lack of 'lighting up' quest areas or givers (miniscule and all as that quest is). I like it the way it is - randomly coming across something giving you a quest. Encourages you to explore EVERYTHING! :)

I did like that too actually. That's the stuff I like in the game but there's so much you could easily miss out on if you don't have the time to search every nook and cranny. Like when it kept promoting me with a bloody "Silver Shroud" radio thing and I was like FINE I'LL CHECK IT OUT JESUS!!!! And got a mission. Guess I'll do some more wandering :pac:

But in a world like Fallout I have a 95% chance that anyone I talk to is going to be a random nobody that spouts a handful of recorded lines. I've got about a 3% chance they're going to say something contextual, and about a 2% chance that they're actually going to be properly interactive and lead to some sort of quest or plotline.

I always miss tons of content in these games because I do not have the patience or time to work my way through cookie-cutter content like it's a household chore just in the hopes that I'll find something interesting.

Spent twenty minutes tracking down a radio signal once. Led me to a dam where it sounded like someone was trapped or buried alive! Eventually led to one mostly empty room. That's it. Could have been a two-hour super quest for all I knew at the time.

They pile in so much undifferentiated content that it's extremely difficult to find what's worth doing. I'd prefer ten great quests to a hundred randomly generated busywork tasks.

I'm trying to build a house in Sanctuary, I want to build it on the concrete foundation of an existing house I've scrapped.
    When ever I put the first piece of floor down it is always slightly off centre and causes the house to sit off centre, with the corner usually jutting off the concrete foundation.

Any top-tips for getting this right?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Here's a picture showing the quests, he has done one with a red line to show where you have to make a choice and another without the descriptions.

https://www.reddit.com/r/fo4/comments/3wn1gk/fallout_4_complete_quest_overviewchecklist/

There's also this, a google doc of the quests.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fallout/comments/3vo8iu/fallout_4_quest_checklist/

Advertisement